Thai Residents Only

chiangmaiexpat

While planning our family holiday, I stumbled upon the Anchana Resort in Prachuap Khiri Khan, which is listed at Agoda: http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/prachuap_khiri_khan/anchana_resort.html. Curiously, the only room types available are labelled as "Thai residents only" rooms, but there is no further explanation what exactly this means. It just leaves me headscratching. Are they striving for ethnical uniformity among hotel guests, are they trying to establish a double-price system based on nationality, or are they just plain stupid to put out an offering like that. Though it may be just a goof-up, I would obviously forego spending holiday Euros on Anchana Resort or any other establishment with segregation policies. Has anyone else seen anything like that?

Cheers, CMX

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See it all the time, and not just here in Thailand. Just got back from Egypt. They are offering all sorts of deals to Egyptians due to the absolute lack of foreign tourists. Makes sense.

In Vegas, they routinely offer deals to locals. Specials on shows, hotel rooms, drinks, meals, free entry to clubs, etc.

See it all the time, and not just here in Thailand. Just got back from Egypt. They are offering all sorts of deals to Egyptians due to the absolute lack of foreign tourists. Makes sense.

In Vegas, they routinely offer deals to locals. Specials on shows, hotel rooms, drinks, meals, free entry to clubs, etc.

Hawaii has had "kamaina rates" (local residents) rates for as long as i can remember..hotels, golf courses, local attractions, interisland air travel, you name it.....I have played golf many times where i was paying $35 and was paired with some tourists who were paying $125....i tried never to tell them that i what my rate was as i figure golf can be depressing enough without finding out you paid triple what one of your playing partners is paying....for all the complaints about thailand having local rates i suspect that more countries than not do the same...how about bars where ladies get free drinks and admission and men pay through the nose?..i don't know but i would guess almost every country has some deals like that discriminating against or for one group or another...

for all the complaints about thailand having local rates i suspect that more countries than not do the same...how about bars where ladies get free drinks and admission and men pay through the nose?..i don't know but i would guess almost every country has some deals like that discriminating against or for one group or another...

Um no, that is not my experience. I have never seen this in Europe, and I suspect that any hotel offering rooms exclusively to its nationals would be frowned upon. And of course, locals != nationals. While it's okay to provide benefits to the local community who has to bear the consequences of tourism, discrimination on account of ethnicity or nationality is certainly not the same.

Cheers, CMX

• Like 1

for all the complaints about thailand having local rates i suspect that more countries than not do the same...how about bars where ladies get free drinks and admission and men pay through the nose?..i don't know but i would guess almost every country has some deals like that discriminating against or for one group or another...

Um no, that is not my experience. I have never seen this in Europe, and I suspect that any hotel offering rooms exclusively to its nationals would be frowned upon. And of course, locals != nationals. While it's okay to provide benefits to the local community who has to bear the consequences of tourism, discrimination on account of ethnicity or nationality is certainly not the same.

Cheers, CMX

Edited by scorecard

Email the resort and ask them for an explanation. If it`s discriminatory make it public knowledge. This wouldn`t be acceptable among western nations so there is no reason why a Thai outfit should think it`s okay.

Why spend time on this subject, just go to a hotel / whatever which has standard rates, there are plenty.

• Like 1

Cheers, CMX

http://www.trenitali...0003f16f90aRCRD

Inter Rail: For Residents in Europe

imgArt_InterRail_125x80.gif

InterRail is the pass offer dedicated to all European residents (anyone who has been living in a European country for at least 6 months). It allows you unlimited travel, in first or second class, in one or all of the following countries:

http://www.fuerteven...?TOPIC_ID=26397

In order to be eligible for the 50% discount for residents, passengers must be either Spanish citizens, citizens of other member states of the European Union or citizens of other States that are members of the European Economic Area who can prove that they are resident in the Balearic or Canary Islands and who are travelling between their place of residence to any other part of Spain, or Ceuta residents travelling between Sevilla, Malaga or Jerez to any other part of Spain. Please note that if any of the passengers is not a resident they should book separately.

Proof of residence is to be provided by means of a national identity document or, in the case of citizens of the European Union or the European Economic Area, a valid residence card showing the address that entitles the holder to the discount. Residents whose national ID document does not feature an address or children under 14 who do not have a national ID document must present a valid certificate of residence issued by the town or city council. Members of the Parliament/Senate whose constituency is in the Balearic, Canary Islands or Ceuta region are to present the relevant credentials from the parliament.

I agree, if it says for Thai Nationals only why don't you just find another Hotel.

Thailand is just that, Thailand and they can even refuse any nationality or person from entering bars, restaurants etc. too.

I agree, if it says for Thai Nationals only why don't you just find another Hotel. Thailand is just that, Thailand and they can even refuse any nationality or person from entering bars, restaurants etc. too.

Thanks for your opinions. Obviously, most posters find national segregation policies acceptable. - I don't. - Of course, I booked another hotel.

The comparisons with InterRail tickets, Canary residents, or Disneyland are somewhat lame, since such offerings are usually government-subsidized, like student tickets, or respectively limited to local citizens where there is a sound social reasoning behind them.

As for the reasons behind the room pricing of the mentioned hotel, I can only guess. Nationalism, profit maximization, greed, who knows... It definitely sends a dubious message. Fortunately, hotels are ten a penny in Thailand.

Cheers, CMX

Have experianced this many times in thailand,so now I sit in the car and let the wife book in first then I come in with the bags after.

Yep, like my missus says anywhere we go and a rip off is imminent due to skin colour.

"you stay in the car and don't move"

Have experianced this many times in thailand,so now I sit in the car and let the wife book in first then I come in with the bags after.

Yep, like my missus says anywhere we go and a rip off is imminent due to skin colour.

Many years ago I took a taxi in Bangkok with a Thai colleague and the driver said to my companion "should be easy for you to rip off the foreigner". The driver nearly choked when I told him in Thai that I was going to report him to the taxi authority. For a long time now my wife and I have done the same as you and your wife because of the willingness of many Thai businesses to casually try to overcharge foreigners.

Many years ago I took a taxi in Bangkok with a Thai colleague and the driver said to my companion "should be easy for you to rip off the foreigner". The driver nearly choked when I told him in Thai that I was going to report him to the taxi authority. For a long time now my wife and I have done the same as you and your wife because of the willingness of many Thai businesses to casually try to overcharge foreigners.

Yes its the same all over........I let the my better half walk ahead of me about 10 paces in the night market and when she sees something of interest(a nice dress or shirt for herself) I give her the nod either way as so we can pay the "Thai Price", other wise it would be double, or more.....................

Edited by BigSkip

Looks like a promotion to encourage domestic travellers to come and stay. I think you will find if you click "show more available room types" you will see the other rooms/promotions they have. Anyway, if you are a Chiang Mai expat you probably are a Thai resident. It doesn't say Thai citizens.....

A bunch silly answers on this thread. Lop and madjbs have it.

For a long time now Thai hotels have offered special discount rates for local residents. Either Thai citizens or foreigners with yearly extensions, work permits etc.

Friends working in BKK and I have utilised these deals often.

No discrimination based on race etc. if you have the proper visa and/ or Thai ID then you get the rate.

Email the resort and ask them for an explanation. If it`s discriminatory make it public knowledge. This wouldn`t be acceptable among western nations so there is no reason why a Thai outfit should think it`s okay.

The fact that it wouldn't be acceptable among western nations has nothing whatever to do with Thailand. You're in Thailand not in the west. There are many things done in many countries around the world that wouldn't be acceptable in the west. If the OP finds it unacceptable Thailand is not short of alternative hotels.

Reading ThaiVisa has enlightened me to what an absolute nightmare it must be to run a very serviced orientated business.

They started a pretty decent promotion and then they get attacked on the internet by the very people it was aimed at... WPFflags.gif

• Like 1

The fact that it wouldn't be acceptable among western nations has nothing whatever to do with Thailand. You're in Thailand not in the west. There are many things done in many countries around the world that wouldn't be acceptable in the west. If the OP finds it unacceptable Thailand is not short of alternative hotels.

Let me cite another example of this sort of practice being perfectly acceptable in western nations (although not hotel related)

World cup 2010 in South Africa, sanctioned by FIFA (european based).....Match tickets for South African residents/citizens cheaper than those purchased outside SA for the same matchs.....dont know why people are going on about this being racist etc etc...this sort of stuff goes on all over the world.

In the case of the Thai hotels, if you are here as a bono fide resident you can get the same rates...it doesnt say Thai citizens only

• Like 1