Thai Residents Only

chiangmaiexpat

...if people don't like it here...they can leave.

Oh my! The wisdom in these words is overwhelming!

Are you saying the same to the immigrants at home? Don't like it here? Go back to your country! Well, that solves it then, doesn't it?

Oh, and your values from back home are not the same as the values here in Thailand (in fact, the values back home have changed as well).

And yet another priceless insight!

Guess what, I noticed that before. It became abundantly clear almost as soon as I set foot in this fair country 20 years ago. But here is a hint: I am no moral relativist (in a philosophical sense). In fact, I could argue that many of Thailand's social problems have their roots in an inadequate value system. But that discussion would far, far away from this thread's topic...

Cheers, CMX

but I guess the crux of this issue....do you walk 10 paces behind the Mrs in the market or stay in the car while she books the room to save THB 200 ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying the same to the immigrants at home? Don't like it here? Go back to your country! Well, that solves it then, doesn't it?

Oh, and your values from back home are not the same as the values here in Thailand (in fact, the values back home have changed as well).

Guess what, I noticed that before. It became abundantly clear almost as soon as I set foot in this fair country 20 years ago. But here is a hint: I am no moral relativist (in a philosophical sense). In fact, I could argue that many of Thailand's social problems have their roots in an inadequate value system. But that discussion would far, far away from this thread's topic...

Cheers, CMX

but I guess the crux of this issue....do you walk 10 paces behind the Mrs in the market or stay in the car while she books the room to save THB 200 ?

Personally I don't walk behind the Mrs. I walk next to her, and if I have to pay 200 Baht or 1000 Baht more than a local for something I want...so be it.

i still don't buy it that an agoda has very much of the small thai owned and operated guest houses and hotels in their inventory...

You are right, perhaps not on Agoda, because Agoda is a large international site, but there are also Thai-based sites with a Thailand focus and they do carry hotels that the bigger sites don't represent.

I did not work with the tourism sector for a number of years, so I have no up-to-date statistics on this, but you can prove this to yourself simply by entering the name of any small hotel you come across into a regular search engine. Chances are they are represented online, often by multiple agents. You'll be surprised!

As mentioned, this may not apply to really small guest-houses, i.e. the type of place that doesn't even have a PC. But then again, these have always operated without agents, only by scooping up walk-ins at random. My guess is that they have less than 10% of the domestic market, probably even less of the international market.

Cheers, CMX

I've been out of the hotel biz for a while now...back in my days there was really no significant internet ...people either booked via a travel agent or a tour operator or 800 number or called hotel direct or sometimes IF YOU CAN IMAGINE even wrote a letter and sent it snail mail...

times have changed for sure.....one problem that i am hearing more and more is that some of the online sites like expedia are getting very demanding thinking that they should get 20-25% commission for online bookings and that many of the major hotels are getting tired of their "threats" .......the push back is already starting from some of the larger hotel chains with their will not be undercut price guranatees and the recent announcement of roomkey.com which is an onlines site owned by several hotel companies....eventually i think the major hotel chains will simply not play the expeida game of "give me big commissions or i won't give you a listing"....but expedia and the like make much more sense for smaller independent hotels that have neither the name recogntion or marketing bucks or websites or sales departments of the starwoods, hiltons, hyatts etc....always keep in mind that expedia owns no hotels, no car rentals, no cruise ships...they are simply a middleman...if the vendors do not give them access to THEIR inventory then the only thing expedia has is a pretty website with nothing to sell....

expedia might do well to rethink their "threats" to the very suppliers who could put them out of biz tomorrow by simply not giving them inventory or big commissions...i think the day will come fairly soon for the big boys.....as the websites get better and better i see no reason why a hilton site couldn't give you an extra perk if you book with them direct...maybe a category upgrade or a cocktail or something that cost the hotel very little ....book with expedia and no extra perk for you.......

Slightly different subject I know :

I have not been past there for a while but certainly last year the Rex Hotel on Sukhumvit had a huge banner outside offering special rates to Thai Nationals.

The Penthouse Hotel in the Soi opposite Bamrungrat Hospital in Soi 3 Sukhumvit has a permanent sign outside offering the same.

Both signs in Thai only so clearly not aimed at Thai Residents.

I am sure there are many similar instances.

In the two instances cited here I am not sure what price I would be offered if I showed my Residence Permit and that I could read the sign ........ and not so bolshie that I would waste time trying either!.

There is no law against this in Thailand - at least so far as I am aware - and I see little point in getting hot and bothered about it, or any other discriminatory pricing I find; if it upsets me too much then I simply take my business elsewhere.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Cheers, CMX

After 20 years you should have learned not to judge from your Western moral standards/values.