One Thousand Red Villages Open In Isaan: Thailand

webfact

I travel to the far NE of Thailand once or twice each year to visit the g/f's family - we usually stay a week or so. while not a "Red Village" it is definitely in a red-leaning area.

Political discussion is quite normal at family gatherings, most of the older people favour the Thaksinists, some of the younger, like myself, are strongly anti-. Discussion can get quite intense without becoming overly heated.

It has been impressed on me quite strongly that expressing my views outside the family would be dangerous, not only for me but for the younger members with similar views. At times, the topic is suddenly dropped when certain visitors arrive.

I wonder how well democracy thrives in a red village.

There is no room for democracy in a red village. None. Do you remember their leader saying in an interview: "Democracy is not on my agenda"?

The quote from Thaksin is :

‘Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it’s not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned…. Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness, and national progress.’
  • Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel to the far NE of Thailand once or twice each year to visit the g/f's family - we usually stay a week or so. while not a "Red Village" it is definitely in a red-leaning area.

Political discussion is quite normal at family gatherings, most of the older people favour the Thaksinists, some of the younger, like myself, are strongly anti-. Discussion can get quite intense without becoming overly heated.

It has been impressed on me quite strongly that expressing my views outside the family would be dangerous, not only for me but for the younger members with similar views. At times, the topic is suddenly dropped when certain visitors arrive.

I wonder how well democracy thrives in a red village.

There is no room for democracy in a red village. None. Do you remember their leader saying in an interview: "Democracy is not on my agenda"?

‘Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it’s not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned…. Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness, and national progress.’

Do you believe Tiansford, that the said man quoted this and meant it.???  would you not think it another one of his stupid quotes, that he often came out with.

Do you believe Tiansford, that the said man quoted this and meant it.??? would you not think it another one of his stupid quotes, that he often came out with.

“Where in the world is a single-party government called a dictatorship? What's wrong with it when people have faith in me?”

Thaksin Shinawatra quote

Thaksin wants a single party totalitarian system of tyranny like his commie friends have in china.

- sniper -

'Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned…. Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness, and national progress.'

Do you believe Tiansford, that the said man quoted this and meant it.??? would you not think it another one of his stupid quotes, that he often came out with.

I believe that people should quote other people correctly.

I've seen this one mis-quoted often, usually as "democracy is not my goal" which is not what he said and misrepresents his statement, usually to support an political position or opinion.

Doing so without knowing the actual quote is called carelessness. Doing so and knowing the full quote is called a lie.

Regarding Tanaka's post, I am guessing he was just a bit careless. No harm done.

B)

As for Thaksin believing it, the question should be posed at the source.

I have voiced my view of Thaksin's commitment to democracy is several threads on TVF, maybe even in conversations with you, so I'll let that lay for the moment. But if you are really curious, I'd be happy to come back to it.

“Where in the world is a single-party government called a dictatorship? What's wrong with it when people have faith in me?”

Thaksin Shinawatra quote

Thaksin wants a single party totalitarian system of tyranny like his commie friends have in china.

Do you know the context of that quote?

It was prior to the 2005 election when the TRT was projected to possibly win an absolute majority of seats in parliament. The term "single-party government", in this quote refers to a government which is not a coalition government.

It does not refer to a single-party system.

• Like 1

Next it will be Red Thailand! BTW, what happens if you live in a village that becomes a Red village but you aren't a red? Do you opt out of this...erm... democracy... or stay yellow, or try to mix in and turn a kind of orange, or go multicoloured or try to preserve your village life and go green. The Thai political spectrum is truly amazing.

They don't know how to spell dictatorship. They keep confusing it with the word democracy..

It amazes me how so many foreigners here have so much to say about politics when they can do nothing about it whatsoever.

It's called Catharsis! It's the same reason why we have so much to say about professional football which we can do nothing about whatsoever. What else are you talk about over a beer. Religion? rolleyes.gif

Thaksin Shinawatra quote

It was prior to the 2005 election when the TRT was projected to possibly win an absolute majority of seats in parliament. The term "single-party government", in this quote refers to a government which is not a coalition government.

And the "B500" quote, can you explain that one?

Hi all.

I see on the news last night that a teacher at a school in Pitsanalok has been moved at the demand of the Reds. What did the teacher do wrong? She had the good sense to ask the students what they thought of the people who were trying to burn down Bankok last year, The Red movement

did'nt like it and complained to the Red Education minister . and the Gutless minister moved the teacher on, So from this action are they sending a message that no recent Thai History is to be taught in Thai Schools , More so if the Truth shows the Red movement for what it really is, A paramilitary force running wild.

phupaman

I'm afraid that my wife's village is one of them. Really scary. Buying votes doesn't really mean a lot......free Lao Khao for all! jap.gif

Maybe I live in the wrong village. B500, Lao Khao, etc. Where do you live? I may want to consider relocation for freebie.

Hi all.

I see on the news last night that a teacher at a school in Pitsanalok has been moved at the demand of the Reds. What did the teacher do wrong? She had the good sense to ask the students what they thought of the people who were trying to burn down Bankok last year, The Red movement

did'nt like it and complained to the Red Education minister . and the Gutless minister moved the teacher on, So from this action are they sending a message that no recent Thai History is to be taught in Thai Schools , More so if the Truth shows the Red movement for what it really is, A paramilitary force running wild.

phupaman

Maybe she doesn't want to rename her tea-money to school donations.

Something the PT govt is fighting to make it transparent.

Just maybe.

Hi all.

phupaman

Not only wrong but off topic.

Hi all.

phupaman

Just maybe.

That is an interesting interpretation of recent news. Wasn't PTP in favour of tea money until forced to reverse their position?

Thaksin Shinawatra quote

And "corruption is normal" ?

Hi all.

phupaman

Just maybe.

That is an interesting interpretation of recent news. Wasn't PTP in favour of tea money until forced to reverse their position?

I think Thaksin govt would like to make illegal stuff transparent.

Like open casio, legalise lottery, legalise school donations, etc..., so govt can tax on.

It is the other govt that want to keep them underground, so politician can get a cut on.

And

For all that has happened, the PM cannot deny his responsibility, either by negligence or intention.

What is even worse than laying the blame on the authorities is vilifying the people.

I have never thought that we would have a state which has the people killed and seriously injured,

and then accuses the people of the crimes. This is unacceptable.

Oh sorry, wrong guy.

• Like 1

Hi all.

phupaman

Just maybe.

I think Thaksin govt would like to make illegal stuff transparent.

Like open casio, legalise lottery, legalise school donations, etc..., so govt can tax on.

It is the other govt that want to keep them underground, so politician can get a cut on.

Well that explains why they want to get rid of all the anti-corruption watchdogs.thumbsup.gif

And

For all that has happened, the PM cannot deny his responsibility, either by negligence or intention.

What is even worse than laying the blame on the authorities is vilifying the people.

I have never thought that we would have a state which has the people killed and seriously injured,

Oh sorry, wrong guy.

But they didn't " have people killed" did they. They merely acted within the state's mandate to provide security for all of the citizenry. Juxtapose that against Thaksin's measures at "drug eradication". They DID have people killed. No charges filed, no due process, no explanation, no consequences. Crimes against humanity in other words.

It's no sin to be ignorant, but to be perpetually so maybe ought to be.

• Like 2

Hi all.

phupaman

If it is wrong, which part is wrong, and what is correct? Seems the teacher was doing no wrong, just encouraging students to think independently. Perhaps that is a bad thing.

BTW, it looks on-topic to me. The realities of life in red villages.

Edited by Reasonableman

And

Oh sorry, wrong guy.

But they didn't " have people killed" did they. They merely acted within the state's mandate to provide security for all of the citizenry. Juxtapose that against Thaksin's measures at "drug eradication". They DID have people killed. No charges filed, no due process, no explanation, no consequences. Crimes against humanity in other words.

I wasn't aware that the "Drug War" had any connection to the quote I provided. This quote was posted as a juxtaposition to the misquotes posted before.

I would be interested in your interpretation of Abhisits true quote in relation to later events, but not, unfortunately, your insult - it does not help your debating "skills" but seems to be your fallback position.

And

Oh sorry, wrong guy.

I wasn't aware that the "Drug War" had any connection to the quote I provided. This quote was posted as a juxtaposition to the misquotes posted before.

I would be interested in your interpretation of Abhisits true quote in relation to later events, but not, unfortunately, your insult - it does not help your debating "skills" but seems to be your fallback position.

I did respond to that.

"But they didn't " have people killed" did they?"

ps: How come every time I try to respond to one of your posts the quotes are all screwed up?

Edited by lannarebirth

Hi all.

phupaman

If it is wrong, which part is wrong, and what is correct? Seems the teacher was doing no wrong, just encouraging students to think independently. Perhaps that is a bad thing.

The teacher was asking the students to compare the compensation given to the red shirt victims of last years events (notice the wording: not including the security officials, medics, non participating civilians etc) to that of the troops in the south. Ever so slightly biased and hardly the backbone of reconciliation one would have thought.

Was the teacher teaching in a red shirt village?

Hi all.

phupaman

The teacher was asking the students to compare the compensation given to the red shirt victims of last years events (notice the wording: not including the security officials, medics, non participating civilians etc) to that of the troops in the south. Ever so slightly biased and hardly the backbone of reconciliation one would have thought.

Was the teacher teaching in a red shirt village?

The report was in the Bangkok paper that cannot be named. Google it and read it yourself, if you're interested.

I did respond to that.

"But they didn't " have people killed" did they?"

ps: How come every time I try to respond to one of your posts the quotes are all screwed up?

I expected a response detailing why Abhisit felt it necessary to say what I quoted when referring to the Yellow Shirt "troubles" and not see the irony of later events.

[Ref. quote screwups - it appears that only a certain number of quotes (not made clear how many) can be posted, otherwise it comes up with the not very helpful note that "no. of beginning quotes does not equal etc"]

[Ref. quote screwups - it appears that only a certain number of quotes (not made clear how many) can be posted, otherwise it comes up with the not very helpful note that "no. of beginning quotes does not equal etc"]

You're allowed 4 nested quotes. After that, the system can't count properly and comes up with the "unequal" message.

You're allowed 4 nested quotes. After that, the system can't count properly and comes up with the "unequal" message.

Thanks for that - should be on a "sticky" or perhaps it is, somewhere.

And

Oh sorry, wrong guy.

you're right, the quote has nothing to do with the war on drugs. But considering it did happen, the level of hypocrisy is astounding don't you think?

It amazes me how so many foreigners here have so much to say about politics when they can do nothing about it whatsoever.

It's called Catharsis! It's the same reason why we have so much to say about professional football which we can do nothing about whatsoever. What else are you talk about over a beer. Religion? rolleyes.gif

The only Altar I like is the one at the top of a heavenly pair of legs ;)

My type of religion :P