Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

Isreal should stop bugging Thailand and Nazi, and terrorism.

Could you try to rewrite that in semi-understandable English?

I hope that people who profit from the image of Nazi Hilter be punished, by re-incarnation, and be born again in a stick Jewish family.

So that they understand how much the Jew really suffered.

Even your Quasi religious ideas are evil. You and Hitler could have been friends. Cursing the young is not cool karma.

Aside from the ignorance of glamorizing der Fuhrer, this situation basically is a very bold statement of the complete disregard and contempt that Thailand has for intellectual property, trade dress,and trademarks. Teletubbies, Ronald McDonald etc. are all trademarks and important assets of others. Those groups have invested millions if not billions of baht into building their respective brands. Teletubbies which is intended for young kids deserves better than to have its image raped and violated by a bunch of greedy, ignorant thieves. And yes that's what these businesses are. They aren't just robbing their victims, they are peeing on them as well. One can laugh this off all one wants, but it is this attitude that explains in part why no foreign entities have insignificant R&D investments in Thailand.

Disgraceful!

Totally agree. On the one hand, it's okay to degrade other people's history through these disrespectful demonstrations of ignorance, and on the other hand you go to jail in some countries over a few SMS's. Where's the fairness in these countries when the coin is flipped?

This is a clear indication of Thailand's younger generation, and their lack of regard and respect for anything that does not resemble an iPod, condom machine or hand-held video game.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

I dunno, these all look like parodies.

How about Basil (don't mention the war) Fawlty?

Mel Brooks?

Or Team America and Kim Il Jong?

The best way to depower something is to laugh at it. These shirts would be an anathema to a hardcore neo nazi.

It's been 70 years, how long do we want to carry this cross?

I say get a grip.

Right, of course they're parodies!.. why else would anyone caricature Hitler as anything cute, the total opposite of what the guy was.. or any Nazis were for that matter?! The number of Fancy Dresses I've been to with a Hitler in attendance, and NO-ONE even thinking to take offence as he mixed with clowns, cowboys, fairies, et al, pretty much shows what its really about.. just laughing at something, or someone, ridiculous... I've seen these things and just thought they were a bit weird, but if someone finds it funny and want to buy it, then up to them.. being English I'm pretty well up on taking the p**s, and am hardly likely to start feigning .. yes feigning, come on people!!.. hurt or offence at what is in NO WAY aimed at me or mine, but at the 'target' being clearly shown and ridiculed!! As you say.. get a grip, folks!...

Aside from the ignorance of glamorizing der Fuhrer, this situation basically is a very bold statement of the complete disregard and contempt that Thailand has for intellectual property, trade dress,and trademarks. Teletubbies, Ronald McDonald etc. are all trademarks and important assets of others. Those groups have invested millions if not billions of baht into building their respective brands. Teletubbies which is intended for young kids deserves better than to have its image raped and violated by a bunch of greedy, ignorant thieves. And yes that's what these businesses are. They aren't just robbing their victims, they are peeing on them as well. One can laugh this off all one wants, but it is this attitude that explains in part why no foreign entities have insignificant R&D investments in Thailand.

Disgraceful!

Totally agree. On the one hand, it's okay to degrade other people's history through these disrespectful demonstrations of ignorance, and on the other hand you go to jail in some countries over a few SMS's. Where's the fairness in these countries when the coin is flipped?

This is a clear indication of Thailand's younger generation, and their lack of regard and respect for anything that does not resemble an iPod, condom machine or hand-held video game.

Yes.. but Thailand's younger generation only? I think not! What about the youth of America and pretty much every consumerist nation who the Thais are quick trying to catch up with? Too much too quickly is the major issue here.. now we want them to let go of that greed for money which we already know breeds disrespect in so many people, and which WE'VE bestowed upon them in OUR relentless greed for money through new markets?!! As for tee-shirts, that's all they are.. t-shirts.. you find them funny as they're taking the p**s out of a character long established as ridiculous beyond any reason.. or you don't.. save the self-righteousness for those who want to listen to your sermons!.. or just concentrate on what's really important, as in your life and that of loved ones.. and give the crap a rest!!!

• Like 1

I always tend to think that those who wish to pass it off as a parody, a joke etc. actually find the real thing acceptable.

Well perhaps you ought to stop thinking then, because you are wrong.

Definitely.

I think the point a few have missed here is that generally speaking a parody to poke fun at something distasteful is fine if you have a good working knowledge or practical experience of the subject. Which is why Mel Brooks et al work.

If you have no knowledge of it, it stops being a parody and just something being shoved in your face.

• Like 1

I always tend to think that those who wish to pass it off as a parody, a joke etc. actually find the real thing acceptable.

You know something I usually take the view that satire, parody is fine, even when controversial, however there does come a point when someone appears to be serially insensitive then a case can be made that there is a degree of premeditation behind what is passed off as ignorance or merely a joke.

The jury is still out but as of present I'm not going to jump the gun and be offended.

Its ignorance of history concerning the 2nd World War in Europe.

Presumably they know that Japan invaded Thailand and caused untold deaths and misery?

I have no doubt however, that those that find Nazis 'funny' have no knowledge at all of the Nazi atrocities.

Unfortunate and definitely a reason to improve education.

Presumably they know that Japan invaded Thailand and caused untold deaths and misery?

I have no doubt however, that those that find Nazis 'funny' have no knowledge at all of the Nazi atrocities.

...and most don't know what ideology is behind that "symbol" or that "man".

If they knew, they might get the idea, that the Nazis may not be too fond of little yellowish- brown people with black hair....

• Like 1

Definitely.

I think the point a few have missed here is that generally speaking a parody to poke fun at something distasteful is fine if you have a good working knowledge or practical experience of the subject. Which is why Mel Brooks et al work.

If you have no knowledge of it, it stops being a parody and just something being shoved in your face.

The reason Mel gets away with it is because he is Jewish. Like how black people throw around the N word, but if a white person says it....watch out!

Definitely.

The reason Mel gets away with it is because he is Jewish. Like how black people throw around the N word, but if a white person says it....watch out!

Entirely different.

The Producers hardly showed the 'Nazi' in a sympathetic light! He was portrayed as a joke.

Edit - I agree about the N word though. Very odd....

Edited by F1fanatic

Its all very un-PC these days. I agree with the more rational idea on this thread; there is a big difference between making fun of something and promoting it. The important thing is the intention. Since the Thai's intention is the ignorant idea that this is "cool" well, people get upset over that. I tend to agree as "ignorance" is no excuse. Although better than a professed white supremecist donning the gear, it is still offensive.

Here is one of my faves;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt3daGeAe9s

How about making some "funny" Pol Pot t-shirts? I'm sure the Khmer people in Thailand would find it equally as amusing.

Naw, Pol Pot doesn't have a funny moustache.

But you could stick the fake Groucho Marx tash and spectacles on him......... that would be a hoot.

Its all very un-PC these days. I agree with the more rational idea on this thread; there is a big difference between making fun of something and promoting it. The important thing is the intention. Since the Thai's intention is the ignorant idea that this is "cool" well, people get upset over that. I tend to agree as "ignorance" is no excuse. Although better than a professed white supremecist donning the gear, it is still offensive.

Here is one of my faves;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt3daGeAe9s

Doesn't the American cartoon maker realise that Jewish children are watch it?

I asked my girlfriend if she new about the history of Germany and England, she said you won two world wars and one world cup, i said good girl.

And lost much of the uk empire. I don't think the brits won ww1 & 2, they were merely holding their own until the yanks joined in. Stupid yanks, should let Europe fight their own civil wars.

We were holding the Germans at half time in WW2, then the Yanks finally turned up for the second half as usual, courtesy of the Japanese.

Actually we did not really need the Yanks, the Russians were just starting to hit their stride. But the Yanks were more fun.

• Like 1

Do you think my avatar means I think Stalin's liquidation of millions of Russians 'acceptable'. Please enlighten me.

The main point that seems missing here is that it is not about the "freedom of expression". Everyone should have the right to view and express their own opinions about everything including tragedy. The fault lies in a society that feels it is alright to do on one hand as long as it is not about "us".

My question to locals would be -"How would you feel if a shop opened next door to Hitler chic store that sold T-shirts and artwork idolizing the Victorious Burmese?" This is a subject dear to most hearts here. The world respects the tragedy and hardships felt during that time and would never consider flaunting it on a T-shirts with Burmese riding Khan Kluay or incorporating the war with MK.

I asked my girlfriend if she new about the history of Germany and England, she said you won two world wars and one world cup, i said good girl.

And lost much of the uk empire. I don't think the brits won ww1 & 2, they were merely holding their own until the yanks joined in. Stupid yanks, should let Europe fight their own civil wars.

We were holding the Germans at half time in WW2, then the Yanks finally turned up for the second half as usual, courtesy of the Japanese.

Actually we did not really need the Yanks, the Russians were just starting to hit their stride. But the Yanks were more fun.

Perhaps you should explain that to the families of the 418,500 Yanks that died in WW II.

Do you think my avatar means I think Stalin's liquidation of millions of Russians 'acceptable'. Please enlighten me.

Since you asked, I have always thought using Stalin or Hitler as an avatar means the person was totally *@* up. I always felt kind of sorry for you.

I would imagine the Thais who actually know something about WW II are rather thankful they were on the side of the Nazis and Japanese. Burma lost 272,000 people compared to 7,600 in Thailand during the war.

Personally i dont understand what all the fuss is about, some of my relatives was murdered by the communists back in ww2 yet i dont have any issues with parodic pictures of Stalin, i even own a parodic t-shirt of Stalin. I think the world needs to let the past go. We are all victims of something, man up and get over it!

Let the flamin begin.

Sort of like turning up and giving it a kick when it was already down,

Speaking of bad taste. It is in incredibly bad taste to mock the US when half a million Americans died in WW II to among other things help save Australia.

Personally i dont understand what all the fuss is about, some of my relatives was murdered by the communists back in ww2 yet i dont have any issues with parodic pictures of Stalin, i even own a parodic t-shirt of Stalin. I think the world needs to let the past go. We are all victims of something, man up and get over it!

Let the flamin begin.

I don't think it is something to get angry about. It is just in bad taste. Wearing a t shirt of a mass murderer like Stalin or Hitler is to me the same as pooping in public. Bad taste. Not polite. It would be to me the same as walking around with a ball cap that looked like dog poop. I would not get angry at the wearer, I would feel more sorry for him and question his sanity.

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

You are a German of this generation. You should have no reason to be ashamed. The evil was commited by past generations.

That's right. And evil today originates in Israel. I wonder why nazism is on the rise again ...

The swastika is NOT a nazi symbol, as much as an ancient symbol for universal change.

Speaking of bad taste. It is in incredibly bad taste to mock the US when half a million Americans died in WW II to among other things help save Australia.

Sure, and let's not forget the millions of Russians who did their part, shall we?

Americans who think they did all the hard work in WW2 are as ignorant as you say these Thai kids are ...