Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

Actually we did not really need the Yanks, the Russians were just starting to hit their stride. But the Yanks were more fun.

Perhaps you should explain that to the families of the 418,500 Yanks that died in WW II.

I'm not belittling the Yanks but compare it to 11,000,000 Russian soldiers and 6,700,000 civilians. That is roughly 40 Russians for every American.

http://wiki.answers...._in_World_War_2

I would love to debate you but the mod said no more talk about WW II. So I will try and play by TV rules. Sorry.

Yes, discussing WW2 regalia, without mentioning Hitler and WW2 is like trying to discuss Thailand without mentioning Red shirts, Yellow shirts and Thaksinmfr_closed1.gif

The sniff test on stuff like this is whether this paraphernalia would have been celebrated or condemned back during the Third Reich.

My guess is if stuff like this came out then, then the creators would have been taken out back and shot. It is clearly parody.

This story reminds me of the story of how KKK eventually lost its respectability in the 50's and 60's. Turned out the Superman comic writers got hold of KKK code words and figures of speech and used them in the 'baddies' dialogue in their comic strips. What was once 'secret' and solemn KKK code-speak was being used in kids playgrounds as the 'KKK badies' were being shot and killed by the good guys. Kids unintentional parody made the KKK look silly to potential and existing members.

For whatever reason, and I don't know why, it is socially acceptable for those of Jewish extraction to parody the Nazi's, but not for others to. I don't have a good explanation on why it is the case, but it just is. When someone else tries it, we get 450 posts of confected outrage.

For me, this art simply helps further ridicule the Nazi's, and in my book you can never have enough of that. If it somehow encourages someone in Thailand to go and look at the history, then even better.

But it is a bit much to read these posts from the dear souls who have been offended by this stuff complaining of ignorance and cultural insensitivity, when I'm guessing that they are living in Thailand and perform cultural faux pas on a regular basis and are probably pretty ignorant of Thai and greater Asian history.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

The sniff test on stuff like this is whether this paraphernalia would have been celebrated or condemned back during the Third Reich.

My guess is if stuff like this came out then, then the creators would have been taken out back and shot. It is clearly parody.

This story reminds me of the story of how KKK eventually lost its respectability in the 50's and 60's. Turned out the Superman comic writers got hold of KKK code words and figures of speech and used them in the 'baddies' dialogue in their comic strips. What was once 'secret' and solemn KKK code-speak was being used in kids playgrounds as the 'KKK badies' were being shot and killed by the good guys. Kids unintentional parody made the KKK look silly to potential and existing members.

For whatever reason, and I don't know why, it is socially acceptable for those of Jewish extraction to parody the Nazi's, but not for others to. I don't have a good explanation on why it is the case, but it just is. When someone else tries it, we get 450 posts of confected outrage.

For me, this art simply helps further ridicule the Nazi's, and in my book you can never have enough of that. If it somehow encourages someone in Thailand to go and look at the history, then even better.

But it is a bit much to read these posts from the dear souls who have been offended by this stuff complaining of ignorance and cultural insensitivity, when I'm guessing that they are living in Thailand and perform cultural faux pas on a regular basis and are probably pretty ignorant of Thai and greater Asian history.

Hey, some will even convert just to crack jokeslaugh.png

The German ambassador protests because if he doesn't the Israeli ambassador will label him a Nazi.

The Israeli ambassador protests because if he doesn't Israel can't rely solely on the Jewish holocaust as a reason for its actions towards Palestine/Palestinians.

Thais don't care because they were taught as much European mid-20th century history as we were taught Asian mid-20th century history

Westerners in general care because 'celebrating' something like this is both vile and stupid while not seeing that wearing a Che, Fidel, Sandinista or Mao t-shirt is similar

The originators of this Hitler-esque paraphernalia knew exactly what they were doing and love the publicity

What does the international press say about this absurd new fashion trend in Bangkok? There does not seem to be much on the Internet but I found this:

Hitler T-shirts are a Nazi trend for Thai youth

VILE T-shirts featuring cartoons of Nazi monster Adolf Hitler have become the latest fashion must-have in Thailand.

Boutiques in the capital Bangkok have begun selling the garments showing the dictator as a Teletubby, panda or Ronald McDonald.

The tops, costing between £4 and £7.50, have sparked outrage with visitors.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co...Thai-youth.html

A post so misguided it's difficult to know where to start.

1.Your suggested sniff test (barbaric expression!) is just something you have dreamed up.Most people wouldn't pay much attention to what the Nazis may or not have done.It's just not relevant in this discussion.

2.Obviously news to you but the KKK never had any respectability.

3.Jews parodying the Nazis for the sake of it isn't acceptable.When it's funny and there's genuine wit (eg Springtime for Hitler) it's fine.But then all can join in:one doesn't have to be Jewish.I don't remember any confected outrage.It's also worth pointing out that within an ethnicity or national group it's quite common for rather rude epithets to be used which would not be acceptable if an outsider used them.Think the N word.

4.Most foreigners I know are mildly amused by the use of Nazi symbols in Thailand.They know there's no wish to offend and the use is just ignorance and silliness.Fair enough though for the Israel Embassy to protest.

5.What on earth are you talking about as regards cultural faux pas on a daily basis? Care to give some examples? In my experience Thais couldn't give a rat's arse about foreigners cultural faux pas if there is obviously friendliness and good intentions.

6.What's all this about ignorance of Thai history? Why should people who protest Hitler chic silliness be more ignorant of history than anyone else? On the face of it I would have thought they are probably more aware.

7.If you are worried about ignorance of Thai history you should concentrate efforts on the Ministry of Education which produces/authorises school history books which are little more than a pack of lies, a national disgrace.

• Like 1

What does the international press say about this absurd new fashion trend in Bangkok? There does not seem to be much on the Internet but I found this:

VILE T-shirts featuring cartoons of Nazi monster Adolf Hitler have become the latest fashion must-have in Thailand.

Boutiques in the capital Bangkok have begun selling the garments showing the dictator as a Teletubby, panda or Ronald McDonald.

Please Shut the T-shirt factory down, and ship the owner to Israel.

It's not funny, Its sad really, Thai's wearing T shirts that proudly proclaim - I don't know dogsnot about the world - I'm ignorant -

My favorite was the Thai guy with a shirt that read "Proud wife of a U.S. serviceman." No clue.

Well, this is Thailand. Maybe he was.

The Sun is a scumbag UK tabloid, same as The Daily Mail; they like to print and sensationalise stories like this as they appeal to the dumbarses who read their newspapers. It is pointless using this scab-sheet as representative of the international press.

• Like 1

Fill your boots! Be outraged and offended .... Then can we get back to being outraged about things that really matter.

http://www.google.co...iw=1412&bih=714

You shouldn't have shown that link, as there will now be countless accusations from TV posters that they are there because the Thais started it; or they are all made in Thailand.

The Sun is a scumbag UK tabloid, same as The Daily Mail; they like to print and sensationalise stories like this as they appeal to the dumbarses who read their newspapers. It is pointless using this scab-sheet as representative of the international press.

The Sun is a scumbag UK tabloid?

Really?

Don't you miss page 3?

It's not funny, Its sad really, Thai's wearing T shirts that proudly proclaim - I don't know dogsnot about the world - I'm ignorant -

I doubt seriously that many Thais were involved in voting the guy Time man of the year in 1938; some 14 years after his bigotry was exposed to the world via "Mein Kampf". We on the other hand, were not so smart. We didn't even protest the happening. So those of you so smug at being smarter than the Thais when it comes to such matters, might want to take a look at the old family album and reconsider.

• Like 1

Quite right. It always amuses me when people on here post links to the Daily Mail. It is of course famous for making up stories, and for their unwavering support for the Nazi Party in Germany in the 1930s - 1940s.
  • Like 2

The Sun is a scumbag UK tabloid?

Really?

Don't you miss page 3?

No mate, why worry about page 3 when there's a whole world of titillation (whoops, sorry missus) available on the internet?licklips.gif

Quite right to be outraged, $5 per shirt is por dee.

The cry of racists, anti-Semites, bullies, the world over when they are pulled up is to declaim that 'it was only a joke' and the more cowardly crew standing behind them having a good laugh watching the nastiness even more so. However, they jump up like scalded cats when they are called to account. That is their cowardliness. Ha-ha.

Well it's made CNNGO and CNN.com online front page in Travel.

"Not amused

Some foreigners get upset [when they see my T-shirts on sale] -- they come to my shop and complain,” acknowledges the owner of Seven Star, a small clothing shop at Terminal 21, a new designer mall in central Bangkok on Sukhumvit Road which is a popular tourist haunt."

In a different thread, facebook is accused of being the root of all evil.......

Could the two be combined to form facistbook.

Bad jokes.

I hope no more of such shall come from you.

There are Jewish people in TV too.

...sick.gif

The Israeli ambassador protests because if he doesn't Israel can't rely solely on the Jewish holocaust as a reason for its actions towards Palestine/Palestinians.

Definitely one of the most ignorant posts I have read all day, all year perhapswhistling.gif

Would you care to expand or just leave it at an ignorant reply? Do you disagree that Israel bases many of their military actions on the facet of: "Never again'?

If not then you haven't been to Israel . . .

• Like 1