Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

Well, I think its ignorant to blame the possible Thai youthful fascination with Hitler on ignorance.

Its a known fact that England and France conspired against Thailand to divide it in two, GB from Burma and Malaysia and France from Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos... and that when Nazi Germany (not Hitler) invades Poland in 1939, the allied forces has to mobilize differently and therefore abandon the Siam scene. Naval as well as ground battles took place on both sides before Thailand was faced with nothing more than a relatively friendly "non"-occupation (touchy subject since Thai's are proud never to have been occupied).

Thai people dont fancy communists or jews for that matter. Some time ago I was sitting next to Gen. Sayut during lunch, he was supreme commander of the thai armed forces when they defeated the last communist enclave in Khao Yai in the late 1960's, what he told me about what they found in Khao Yai its no suprise the Thais have no problem with killing communists.

And on a philosphical note, its only ignorance if somebody should have known something and they dont, I think the Thais are in their full rights to not know what happened inside the gates of Europe almost 70 years ago. Do you for example know what was going on in Thailand at that time in details, or do you seriously think they were just uninformed rice farmers and fishermen ?

Much more can be said on this topic, but im on my phone and typing is a menace, and actually have other things to do than to quarrel who is ignorant and who may not be...

I should be pleased if you would point me in the direction of any evidence that the UK and France conspired to split up Siam as it was then, and divide the country between themselves. It is held by many historians, if not in proven fact, that Rama V established good relations with the UK, then the dominant power in the World. Do you realise that the UK and Gallic folks have little time for each other and the the Entente Cordiale is/was a diplomatic gesture rather like a husband and wife holding hands so that they didn't batter the life out of each other? I think you will find that the commonly held view is that the UK used Thailand as a buffer state against the 'sale Francaise' esconced in Indo-China. Thais might like to present the sentiment that Rama V was being very clever playing two major powers off against each other, well they would wouldn't they? But what could Siam offer the UK? What would be the point of absorbing a backward country into the great empire? What were the chances of a durable agreement with the irritable and argumentative French? Do you realise that if the English Channel hadn't come into being by Nature, Brits might well have dug out the World's largest ditch? I suggest that the UK was busy in theMalay States building roads and railways, educating the peoples (eat your heart out Thailand), developing the country, and providing up to date amenities in return for a reliable supply of tin and rubber, to cast covetous eyes on Siam and a probably consistently contentious rapport with the Land of the Tricolour.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a black chap living in C.M. I was ribbing him as to whether he found it just a little bit amusing that the Thais seem so insensitive or ignorant as to what others may find offensive that they have a range of janitorial products called Blackman with a logo picture that was fittingly inappropriate. I then added that theoretically I would find it funny in a dark sort of way if they sold a Shylock piggy bank or something else which was very insensitive to my own religion. He thought about it for a moment and replied, yes I suppose so, but it really depends on who you are taking it from.

This is it in a nutshell. I don't find ignorance offensive, nor accidental un-PC behavior, but if someone somewhere intended to cause offense then that is a different matter entirely.

Seems it's OK for Che to be cool but not Adolf. Che was a despot too.

As for Hitler chic, it's just another round of the elder generation being upset with those crazy kids. The younger generation always pushed the boundaries and long may that continue.

Your grandparents probably shook their heads about rock n' roll the same way you are shaking your heads about this.

Storm in a teacup.

You sir, fit right in with the ignorant Thais. You are comparing the nazi politics with rock music. That just shows the level of your education and knowledge. Zilch. You do not even have more sense than parading your ignorance openly.

As for Guevara, whatever he was, he was not responsible for the killing of millions. Your ignorance shows again.

The Japanese committed many atrocities in Asia but their symbol does not offend. Nor Soviet symbols though millions died in Gulags including plenty of Jews and Gays...Why is Nazi symbolism so offensive after all these years. Ghengiz Khan is as bad as Hitler.. Best accept it as Provocative art of the youth generations and see the humour in it.

There are plenty on here who are accusing the Thais of ignorance, having basic lack of knowledge and education, but by reading many of the posts, it appears the ignorance and lack of education goes a lot further than just Thailand.

The answer is: that there is no excuses or justifications for this sort of crap, under any circumstances. The Holocaust that keeping in mind 5 million non-Jews were also murdered is only a part of the events of the Second War World. But for those of you that can view any of this as humorous, or as an art form, can find justifications for the slaughter of millions of men, women and children in what became known as the Holocaust, must be mentally disturbed or just plain psycho and should seek treatment.

I strongly suggest that some of you do your research before you begin making comments on a subject you seem to know nothing about, have any understanding of and what was actually involved during that shitty war.

And you feel the same way about the slaughter of innocents by Genghis Khan, the Crusaders and their opponents the Saracens? Vile actions by humans against those that they deem lesser than themselves is nothing new as events in former Jugoslavia have shown us more recently.

Historically genocide is nothing new. Why are the West Indies populated only by European/Africans? What happened to the indigenous peoples who were there in Columbus's tme? Why are there so few indigenous people in Australia compared to the 400 language groups that were there at the time of colonisation? What was the purpose behind the US "Indian Wars" if not to remove indigenous people from land coveted by invaders?

It is human nature to cope with tragedy by adopting humour to protect the self against tragedy - how many tragic events have been almost immediately greeted by "sick" humour eg NASA = "need another seven astonauts" following a disaster.

If the events that occurred such a long time ago become part of a new humorous chic, that is nothing new; I suggest that you look at how the war against Germany has been treated in both US and UK tv programmes. Then ask yourself why it is so important to you that such a disgusting event took place should matter so much more than what took place in the Balkans when you were alive

Well, I think its ignorant to blame the possible Thai youthful fascination with Hitler on ignorance.

Its a known fact that England and France conspired against Thailand to divide it in two, GB from Burma and Malaysia and France from Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos... and that when Nazi Germany (not Hitler) invades Poland in 1939, the allied forces has to mobilize differently and therefore abandon the Siam scene. Naval as well as ground battles took place on both sides before Thailand was faced with nothing more than a relatively friendly "non"-occupation (touchy subject since Thai's are proud never to have been occupied).

Thai people dont fancy communists or jews for that matter. Some time ago I was sitting next to Gen. Sayut during lunch, he was supreme commander of the thai armed forces when they defeated the last communist enclave in Khao Yai in the late 1960's, what he told me about what they found in Khao Yai its no suprise the Thais have no problem with killing communists.

And on a philosphical note, its only ignorance if somebody should have known something and they dont, I think the Thais are in their full rights to not know what happened inside the gates of Europe almost 70 years ago. Do you for example know what was going on in Thailand at that time in details, or do you seriously think they were just uninformed rice farmers and fishermen ?

Much more can be said on this topic, but im on my phone and typing is a menace, and actually have other things to do than to quarrel who is ignorant and who may not be...

I should be pleased if you would point me in the direction of any evidence that the UK and France conspired to split up Siam as it was then, and divide the country between themselves. It is held by many historians, if not in proven fact, that Rama V established good relations with the UK, then the dominant power in the World. Do you realise that the UK and Gallic folks have little time for each other and the the Entente Cordiale is/was a diplomatic gesture rather like a husband and wife holding hands so that they didn't batter the life out of each other? I think you will find that the commonly held view is that the UK used Thailand as a buffer state against the 'sale Francaise' esconced in Indo-China. Thais might like to present the sentiment that Rama V was being very clever playing two major powers off against each other, well they would wouldn't they? But what could Siam offer the UK? What would be the point of absorbing a backward country into the great empire? What were the chances of a durable agreement with the irritable and argumentative French? Do you realise that if the English Channel hadn't come into being by Nature, Brits might well have dug out the World's largest ditch? I suggest that the UK was busy in theMalay States building roads and railways, educating the peoples (eat your heart out Thailand), developing the country, and providing up to date amenities in return for a reliable supply of tin and rubber, to cast covetous eyes on Siam and a probably consistently contentious rapport with the Land of the Tricolour.

" I suggest that the UK was busy in theMalay States building roads and railways, educating the peoples (eat your heart out Thailand), developing the country, and providing up to date amenities in return for a reliable supply of tin and rubber...." Oh those lovely altruistic Brits!! PUKE! Get real.

What the article points out is the Thai aloofness and detachment from everything else in the world. They are almost totally disconnected from any knowledge of what happened or is happening in the world. Sad to say that this applies to many others around the world, especially youth. In this case, it's a curiosity as to how they knew about Hitler in the first place, in order to recreate his likeness? They, whoever made the shirts and thought it was a cute gimmick, must have "discovered" Hitler somewhere. The dots weren't connected between the right and wrong and the comical attributes of Hitler were too much of a novelty to pass by as a selling opportunity for Thais. The French wouldn't be too happy about little toy Hitlers with swastikas saluting them on the Champs Elysees or backpacking teens wearing t-shirts with his image, but would probably say c'est la vie and keep powering through their croissant and cafe.

Those Hitler shirts and badges are on sale in Thailand's markets for many years, as well as in Malaysia and the Philippines. Suddenly, it sparks attention. Where was the media 10 years ago when vendors started selling them?

Growing up in London during the war us kids would often walk around parodying Hitler, one finger held under our noses as a mustache, the other arm raised in the Nazi salute, we found it funny. We were not supporting him, we were taking the piss.

Thats not surprising at all considering England has one of the longest and most shameful legacies of Anti-Semetism of any country on Earth. I'll bet your glad all the Jews there have been replaced with vile bearded Islamic clerics calling for Sharia Law in Great Britain right?

Wrong! The two posts are not in any way related save for being on the right side of the fence..

This is one of the most inane postings I have ever read here - and God knows that there is no shortage of stupidity and misinformation. The Jewish peoples have been consistently oppressed worldwide down the centuries. Do a little research and find out just how many Jewish folk were absorbed into the UK during the 1930's fleeing from Adolf and Co. They came in their thousands, artists, musicians, doctors, scientists, engineers - and the UK were glad to have them. Many Jewish refugees used the UK as a staging post, their ultimate destination being the US where many had family. There are many of Jewish derivation currently sitting in the House of Lords and the House of Commons, many are Captains of Industry and leaders in their fields. I think you would have to scratch around to find a discontent amongst them.

BTW Do add to your sparse education and discover the difference between being English and being a BrIt and acquire the ability to recognise that England that is just one part of the UK - an insignificant one according to a few canny Scots.

Isreal should stop bugging Thailand and Nazi, and terrorism.

Could you try to rewrite that in semi-understandable English?

''Sorry sir, he's from Barcelona, MANWELL''......................... '' Yes Mr.Faulty".

don't mention the war

Sorry if it's already been said.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

You sir, fit right in with the ignorant Thais. You are comparing the nazi politics with rock music. That just shows the level of your education and knowledge. Zilch. You do not even have more sense than parading your ignorance openly.

As for Guevara, whatever he was, he was not responsible for the killing of millions. Your ignorance shows again.

The Japanese committed many atrocities in Asia but their symbol does not offend. Nor Soviet symbols though millions died in Gulags including plenty of Jews and Gays...Why is Nazi symbolism so offensive after all these years. Ghengiz Khan is as bad as Hitler.. Best accept it as Provocative art of the youth generations and see the humour in it.

There are plenty on here who are accusing the Thais of ignorance, having basic lack of knowledge and education, but by reading many of the posts, it appears the ignorance and lack of education goes a lot further than just Thailand.

The answer is: that there is no excuses or justifications for this sort of crap, under any circumstances. The Holocaust that keeping in mind 5 million non-Jews were also murdered is only a part of the events of the Second War World. But for those of you that can view any of this as humorous, or as an art form, can find justifications for the slaughter of millions of men, women and children in what became known as the Holocaust, must be mentally disturbed or just plain psycho and should seek treatment.

I strongly suggest that some of you do your research before you begin making comments on a subject you seem to know nothing about, have any understanding of and what was actually involved during that shitty war.

And you feel the same way about the slaughter of innocents by Genghis Khan, the Crusaders and their opponents the Saracens? Vile actions by humans against those that they deem lesser than themselves is nothing new as events in former Jugoslavia have shown us more recently.

Historically genocide is nothing new. Why are the West Indies populated only by European/Africans? What happened to the indigenous peoples who were there in Columbus's tme? Why are there so few indigenous people in Australia compared to the 400 language groups that were there at the time of colonisation? What was the purpose behind the US "Indian Wars" if not to remove indigenous people from land coveted by invaders?

It is human nature to cope with tragedy by adopting humour to protect the self against tragedy - how many tragic events have been almost immediately greeted by "sick" humour eg NASA = "need another seven astonauts" following a disaster.

If the events that occurred such a long time ago become part of a new humorous chic, that is nothing new; I suggest that you look at how the war against Germany has been treated in both US and UK tv programmes. Then ask yourself why it is so important to you that such a disgusting event took place should matter so much more than what took place in the Balkans when you were alive

Ignorance begets Ignorance in many things and while one does not necessarily agree with certain views society as a whole must pass on and educate the young and future generations of mistakes that were made and try to prevent them in the future generations to come. Why are we referred to as "Indigenous" people? Has anyone thought to ask what we prefer? We are PEOPLE.

Ding ding! The outrage bus is full and coming to the end of its journey, will all outraged passengers please alight here and look for another subject on TV that has an outrage bus just waiting for your custom. Mission accomplished, shirt sales have now gone through the roof as the backlash of outrage comments has leaked from TV onto the Thai social networking sites.

I can honestly say I would be feared to death of going for a pint with 80% of the guys on here, talk about going out for a chilled night out, a pint and a few jokes, blimey, I would be scared to open my mouth in case it was one of the prolific outrage bus riders.

Three very talented Jewish entertainers whose families had all seen members suffer in the holocaust, still thought that Hitler and the Nazi's needed the pi** taking out of them. Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel came up with this massive Hollywood success, stated by Peter Sellers as being the 'ultimate film'.

and for those screaming 'well that was in 1968, things are different now', there was also the very funny remake in 2005, screenplay by Mel Brooks. Just get to the business and fast forward to four minutes.

So, to conclude. Funny to Hollywood, funny to Jewish actors whose family were in the Holocaust, very unfunny to Thai Visa Outrage bus riders!

Catchy tunes eh :) !

• Like 1

Ding ding! The outrage bus is full and coming to the end of its journey, will all outraged passengers please alight here and look for another subject on TV that has an outrage bus just waiting for your custom. Mission accomplished, shirt sales have now gone through the roof as the backlash of outrage comments has leaked from TV onto the Thai social networking sites.

I can honestly say I would be feared to death of going for a pint with 80% of the guys on here, talk about going out for a chilled night out, a pint and a few jokes, blimey, I would be scared to open my mouth in case it was one of the prolific outrage bus riders.

Three very talented Jewish entertainers whose families had all seen members suffer in the holocaust, still thought that Hitler and the Nazi's needed the pi** taking out of them. Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel came up with this massive Hollywood success, stated by Peter Sellers as being the 'ultimate film'.

and for those screaming 'well that was in 1968, things are different now', there was also the very funny remake in 2005, screenplay by Mel Brooks. Just get to the business and fast forward to four minutes.

So, to conclude. Funny to Hollywood, funny to Jewish actors whose family were in the Holocaust, very unfunny to Thai Visa Outrage bus riders!

Catchy tunes eh smile.png !

It wouldn`t bother me going for a drink with any of the posters here.

Some agree it`s funny, others don`t, just a matter of opinion not World War Three and now I can`t see how this thread can progress any further.

I think all there is to say has been said, unless anyone can come up with a new angle to this, but somehow I doubt it.

On an end note, I will say none of us actually experienced the war or lived through it, and perhaps if there were some comments heard from the war veterans themselves. than many may change their points of view.

I am sure there is no harm intended unless some mastermind did pull this one off just so we can write a whopping 14 pages of comments on it here on TV which i will never be able to read in my lifetime.

For me i would not pass on my next Caesar salad. Look what they have done to our former dear emperor: They have changed him into a salad!

caesar%20salad.jpg

Catchy tunes eh smile.png !

It wouldn`t bother me going for a drink with any of the posters here.

Some agree it`s funny, others don`t, just a matter of opinion not World War Three and now I can`t see how this thread can progress any further.

I think all there is to say has been said, unless anyone can come up with a new angle to this, but somehow I doubt it.

On an end note, I will say none of us actually experienced the war or lived through it, and perhaps if there were some comments heard from the war veterans themselves. than many may change their points of view.

Ask and ye shall be answered! There are quite a few people on here who have been through other wars and been on UN or NATO tasks that have witnessed true human horrors and tragedies. Fair to say that most of those who have been in a war situation are the first to start taking the pi** and you wont find many of them at all on the outrage bus. I have a young guy comes out to take holidays with our family, he was in the marines and lost his legs aged 19 in Afghanistan. He never lost his sense of humour though, and despite missing half his limbs, he is twice the man of most on here. His moral courage knows no bounds, he has a sense of humour and he would rather walk than ride the outrage bus.

Edited to add, you know reference the videos above, I bet Mel Brooks would be absolutely livid about the Ronald McDonald and Telly-tubby, Hitler parody.......because he never thought of it himself! His belly would be aching with laughter if he were told of this I bet.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Once again Thailand hits a homerun for ignorance.

has me wondering "dam_n who runs this country" Bang Kok?

This comes from a melanated 5th dimensional sirius being living on stolen land of the MOORS known as the USA.

if that happened here where everyone has feelings and sues over everything to make money, the whole company if not country of bangkok would be sued til they broke. or class actioned lawsuit.

This comes from a melanated 5th dimensional sirius being living on stolen land of the MOORS known as the USA.

if that happened here where everyone has feelings and sues over everything to make money, the whole company if not country of bangkok would be sued til they broke. or class actioned lawsuit.

You have to help me here, can you run that one by me again in normal plain english. Its just me, I am a bit dim I know, but humour me, I'd like to get the gist of your post. :)

Calm down,half the population of this country lives on land they "borrowed" from someone who's sleeping,and if only half of all the announced lawsuits would effectively go to court,there would not be enough office buildings in Bangkok to house all the lawyers needed.

It's a fad that will disappear in due time. The reason it's so successful is because of the images shock value, especially for farangs.

Ignore it -- it will go away. You can either suffer as the righteously indignant patsy and play their game of shock shlock, or you can shrug it off and go about your life. I choose to do the later.

I think you're all mistaken about some of this.

The Ronald McDonald that looks like Hitler makes a lot of sense to me.

Americans have killed much much more muslims, directly and indirectly, than the 2nd world war jews.

Their behaviour is shaded by their mighty TV and Cinema propaganda and it's hard to see through, but they are at least the equals of Germand Nazis.

Little Ronald McHitler makes so much sense to me.

If you don't see that then you're the ignorant brainwashed one.

Your latent prejudice is showing and it is your ignorance on display. Ronald McDonald does not represent the USA. McDonald's is a publicly owned multinational with ownership held worldwide. . Are you aware that the entry into China was effected by McDonald's Canada and not the US entity? The asian market development was an offshoot of the Canadian company. Therefore your attempt to justify the infringement upon a trade image as a way of fighting the USA fails.

More importantly, this isn't about free speech or taking on McDonald's. The people selling the Hitler merchandise couldn't care less about free speech or the killing of muslims or fighting obesity. They are doing this only to make a quick baht. They are doing it by stealing another business' property. Would you approve if your home was burglared and your stolen property was then sold by one of these merchants?

Lighten up Geriatrickid, Jeez.

A philosopher once observed that if all those listening to Mr Hilter's speeches at Nuremberg had fallen around laughing, there would have been no holocaust or indeed a Second World War.

Something along the lines of the Monty Python sketch where Mr Hilter (as he disguises his name) is now living in a boarding house in Weston-Super-Mare. John Cleese does his famous Hitler speech to an audience of one and a sheepdog.

You have to help me here, can you run that one by me again in normal plain english. Its just me, I am a bit dim I know, but humour me, I'd like to get the gist of your post. smile.png

Or, as Captain Sensible would say "Wot"

Ronald McDonald does not represent the USA.

Nisa beat me to it, sorry but, yes it does.

Step outside your 'I'm always right' bubble and get to grips with reality for a change.

Oh and "The consensus is that I am most excellent."..... is that a general consensus or a consensus of one?

Why should the Thais be expected to know about WW2 in Europe (let alone WW1) ? What do Westerners know about what happened to Asiatic countries in WW2?

Quite a bit. Some of us are not European. I am an Australian and my grandfather fought in South East Asia for the duration of the war. For one thing I can tell you is that the Thais actively collaborated with the imperial Japanese Army during WWII, something they are immensely proud of (because as you can hear from any Thai, Thailand was never colonised by a foreign power. Because they collaborated with them instead.)

People here assume that the Thai love of Hitler is out of ignorance. How do you know that? They collaborated with the Fascist Japanese during WWII. They are one of the most racist countries on Earth. It's entirely possible they make the Hitler dolls because they actually like Hitler.

• Like 1

I suppose some Thai's might think what is so bad about a megalomaniacal dictator from another country who likes his supporters to wear certain coloured shirts?

Well if they need to ask the question,due to ignorance,then they are unlikely to ever understand the answer.

I suppose some Thai's might think what is so bad about a megalomaniacal dictator from another country who likes his supporters to wear certain coloured shirts?

Well if they need to ask the question,due to ignorance,then they are unlikely to ever understand the answer.

Whooooosh!

Edited by endure

This article might be highlighting another case of [west-]cultural or historical ignorance.

But don't try to bring 'theft' of logo's in as if that is automatically something bad. I.P. laws themselves are the bad part. Anyone creating something should be allowed to sell it, even if someone else have created something that looked similar before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_chic

Nazi chic is the approving use of Nazi-era style, imagery, and paraphernalia in clothing and popular culture, especially when used for taboo-breaking or shock value rather than out of genuine nazist sympathies.

Its use began in the mid-seventies with the emergence of the punk movement in London: the Sex Pistols' first television appearance occurred with a person of their entourage wearing a swastika.[1] Nazi chic was later used in the fashion industry in various occasions.

Those dam_n Thais and there desires to copy the west!

Edited by Nisa