Jomtien Beach

Starbooks

I think you've been stung a bit.

I use the beach at Central Pattaya a lot: 50 THB per chair for the day, a cococunt is < 50 baht, beer perhaps 40 - 50 baht, somtam 30 and fried rice about 30-40 from one of the street vendors and a bit more if you order from a nearby restaurant. If you buy a few drinks and some food you often don't get charged for the chairs and umbrella.

Still, you had a nice day at the beach so perhaps shouldn't grumble too much.

Not wishing to argue, but I go everyday to the beach either Jomtien or Pattaya and both are the same price...30 Baht for a chair and 30 baht for a มะพร้าว (coconut)

When you have children, its best to agree price in advance (usually nothing)

Best

Paul

Beach chair vendors had it too good with the masses of Russia tourists descending on them over the past few years! Gone are the days when they were friendly and obliging in the hope to see you again. Like someone mentioned, the Pattaya prices should be 30 baht and not 50 as happened to someone else and frankly, also to me. I went to Central beach near Mikes mall and having just sat down a Thai guy came and yelled at me in the most rude manner: "50 baht and you pay now!"

Beach chair vendors had it too good with the masses of Russia tourists descending on them over the past few years! Gone are the days when they were friendly and obliging in the hope to see you again. Like someone mentioned, the Pattaya prices should be 30 baht and not 50 as happened to someone else and frankly, also to me. I went to Central beach near Mikes mall and having just sat down a Thai guy came and yelled at me in the most rude manner: "50 baht and you pay now!"

i have a rule that has served me well here in Thailand:

i don't give money to people i don't like........

i would have just left and said ''you lose'' and found somewhere else to sit

A rude Thai beach vendor in Pattaya?

Surly you are joking? Pattaya is a family destination where everyone smiles and rides unicorns.

I walk Jomtien beach frequently. Interesting to see some of these chair vendors are now farang. I saw one a few mornings ago filling up the ice chest with beer and drinks from his nearby pickup truck. There's another who is camped out there every day, overseeing the operation.

I walk Jomtien beach frequently. Interesting to see some of these chair vendors are now farang. I saw one a few mornings ago filling up the ice chest with beer and drinks from his nearby pickup truck. There's another who is camped out there every day, overseeing the operation.

I think that must be farangs helping out their wives/partners though?

I'm sure. Interesting though...

I'm sure. Interesting though...

a farang friend of has a section of pattaya beach, he sublets it out to Thais

i cannot tell you how he has acquired it.........

sorry slip of the tongue, i meant acquaintance, i have no friends...

Edited by timekeeper

The beaches in Thailand are owned by the Royal Thai Navy. If you want to sit down in between the vendors chairs and not pay then you have every right to do just that.

I had a straw blanket out on the beach in NaJomtien the other day and one of the security guards from the resort told me I had to move down. I was NOT using the resort's chairs and I told him unless he is from the RTN I could sit there as long as I wanted. When he knew that I knew the rules and could speak Thai he just smiled and left. I was not rude to him but instead joking around at at the same time letting him know I was right.

Was a bit of a mistake because after that he went and told all the construction workers I could speak Thai then they were all shouting out to me to meet their sisters and have drinks with them after work etc. etc AND the guard also didn't want to stop talking to me then too. lol Not a bad thing all things considered but there went my quiet time on the beach.

• Like 1

Heard of Solution2Polution?

http://solution2pollution.blogspot.com/2012/01/beach-protector-thanks-supportersin.html

You know you can always go to 7-11 & buy your beers & put them in a cooler with 12 baht of ice.My Thai girl usually gets the lunch instead of the vendor. Most of the time we bring our own pick nick. We both cook & our food mo beta than there's is. Even though we got our own coconuts we still buy theirs. Just don't bring your own BBQ grill.... they tend to get a little chappy bout that.The vendors don't have a problem with you bringing you own They still gotcha by the shorthairs on the chair & coconuts.

You know you can always go to 7-11 & buy your beers & put them in a cooler with 12 baht of ice.My Thai girl usually gets the lunch instead of the vendor. Most of the time we bring our own pick nick. We both cook & our food mo beta than there's is. Even though we got our own coconuts we still buy theirs. Just don't bring your own BBQ grill.... they tend to get a little chappy bout that.The vendors don't have a problem with you bringing you own They still gotcha by the shorthairs on the chair & coconuts.

You wife's a fantastic cook! Next time you plan a picnic, let us know!!!! I'll bring the beer....

Cannot have a (*real) BBQ in the condo/balcony & there are no facilities poolside.

I want to have a beach BBQ & cook for a few friends at Jomtien (Dongtarn)

I’m thinking that if I offer to buy beer from the chair owners & pay for enough chairs for say 8 people it should be OK , but who knows?

Maybe if I invite the chair wallahs to share some prime BBQ beef rib steak they would give me a discount on the chairs/beer.

Should I just set up on a portion of the beach that has no chairs & see what happens ?

*Real BBQ = meat cooked over charcoal/wood

Edited by stailmanki

Cannot have a (*real) BBQ in the condo/balcony & there are no facilities poolside.

I’m thinking that if I offer to buy beer from the chair owners & pay for enough chairs for say 8 people it should be OK , but who knows?

Maybe if I invite the chair wallahs to share some prime BBQ beef rib steak they would give me a discount on the chairs/beer.

Should I just set up on a portion of the beach that has no chairs & see what happens ?

I haven't been at the beach in Dogtan for a while but if you go to the far right (if there are no chairs) you should be alright to BBQ without pissing off the vendors. I realize they have invaded most of the beach now but if you can do without chairs you can Q on that end away from the vendors. Or another location Bang Saray beach far right also no chairs.

You wife's a fantastic cook! Next time you plan a picnic, let us know!!!! I'll bring the beer....

Sounds like a plan We should get together soon!

I haven't been at the beach in Dogtan for a while but if you go to the far right (if there are no chairs) you should be alright to BBQ without pissing off the vendors. I realize they have invaded most of the beach now but if you can do without chairs you can Q on that end away from the vendors. Or another location Bang Saray beach far right also no chairs.

Right on. All the way to the right, as you look at the ocean, should be fine. There's a parking lot there and no beach chair vendors.

And yes, we need to get together again soon!