Avast 7.0 Now Available

Tywais

Reports of some people having problems after installing, especially when upgrading from 6 to 7. See Avast Forums for details or Google it.

Note. By default it wants to download Chrome and make Chrome the default browser. Untick if not required.

Reports of some people having problems after installing, especially when upgrading from 6 to 7. See Avast Forums for details or Google it.

Note. By default it wants to download Chrome and make Chrome the default browser. Untick if not required.

I have Avast 6.0 and just did the update rather than a new download so good to know about the Chrome install. See that a lot now where programs (free) have Chrome as part of the package. Google world domination. biggrin.png

I tried the upgrade path but every time prog started up got "click to complete upgrade" box . Came up everytime.

So uninstalled avast completely with their uninstaller and downloaded 7 from Avast and did clean install. (without chrome) all ok.

Others have had this same prob (obviously not all). Ref Google "Resistance is Futile"

I'll start by saying "if it aint broke dont try to fix it "

I downloaded and upgraded to version 7 ...BIG mistake !! I have used Avast successfully for a long time but this upgrade completely froze my laptop, and it took several attempts to get rid of it.

Couldnt access many features on windows 7 including the task manager and internet connections.

Eventually via safe mode and a little coaxing it was completed uninstalled and and everything returned to normal.

so, if you have version 6 are happy be warned about upgrading ! you may well be very sorry.

Thanks for the cautions. I didn't post this topic until I did the update and had no problems so felt it was 'safe'. I've also used Avast for several years and have it on all our office machines with no problem but will now keep an eye out for the other machines.

I downloaded the complete Avast 7 installation file and installed it with Avast 6 in place. However, that did not work like an upgrade. When it was finished, it worked fine, but all my settings from v.6 were gone. I had to recall how to suppress all the pop-ups and sounds that are so irritating. Those settings are not all in one place. Now that I've silenced v.7, it seems to be fine.

The avast upgrade worked for me, running Win 7, no bumps.

I have to wonder, though, when running multiple security software (see other current thread concerning this) if these things tend to trip over each other.

• 5 weeks later...

I downloaded and upgraded to version 7 ...BIG mistake !! I have used Avast successfully for a long time but this upgrade completely froze my laptop, and it took several attempts to get rid of it.

Couldnt access many features on windows 7 including the task manager and internet connections.

Eventually via safe mode and a little coaxing it was completed uninstalled and and everything returned to normal.

so, if you have version 6 are happy be warned about upgrading ! you may well be very sorry.

Same problem, have gone back to 6 until i have the time to disable everything and do a selective startup, it just would not boot up and froze everything, tried many times, full install, upgrade everything, not much fun

Same problem, have gone back to 6 until i have the time to disable everything and do a selective startup, it just would not boot up and froze everything, tried many times, full install, upgrade everything, not much fun

Same problem here. Reading their message board, many users has similar difficulties.