Moving To Thailand

Hi, I was born in Thailand but had moved to US when I was 12 years old. Now that I am 40 and already become a US citizen, I have a change of heart to move back and live in Thailand. Can anyone advises me as what I need to do for visa and other requirements to allow me to stay in Thailand. Any information provided is greatly appreciated.

App

You should still have Thai citizenship. If you have documentation (ID card, house registration, birth certificate) substantiating your original Thai identity - and I presume these must have been part of your immigration packet to get into US - then you can apply for a Thai passport at Thai embassy in USA.

See: Thai Embassy - USA

Click on "Consular Services" and then "Passport"

You could then depart USA on US passport, enter Thailand on Thai passport - as a Thai.

Your one concern is that you are liable for Thai military service obligation - basically playing a conscription lottery. If you plan well, you have excellent chance of drawing a "by".

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Thanks Steve. The reply was interesting. However, the latest Thai passport I have, had been expired since 1980. Since then, I have not renew. What about enter Thailand using US passport. Is it hard to obtain a resident VISA. Currently, I live and work in Singapore. I will be here for another 14 months so I figure I should plan ahead now. Thanks again.

App

I also visited www.sunbeltasia.th.com and noticed several businesses up for sale. So I thought of moving back to Thailand and assume one of those businesses. some of the businesses I found was around 1-2 Millions baht which I thought was okay. I'm not sure if a foreigner can OWN AND LIVE in Thailand.

I'm not sure if a foreigner can OWN AND LIVE in Thailand.

As an American under the Amity treaty you can own a Thai business 100% by yourself or 99.99% along with 6 other shareholders( any nationality)

If you are not an American, you can still control and bind a limited company even being a minor shareholder.

Living here and getting a work permit with your acquired business is not complicated. We have four licensed lawyers who will help you. Legal fee of 9,500 Baht is what our legal department charges.

Regards

Greg

www.sunbeltasia.com

Thanks Greg. I am an US citizen so under Amity Treaty I can own 100% of the business. Live there is not complicated either, right? What about the size of the business and investment into the business, does it matter how much I paid? Also how far in advance should I begin proceeding with the business and residency application. In addition, is the treaty allowed me to purchase property as well. I think the fee is very reasonable so it shouldn't be a problem.

Live there is not complicated either, right?
For people that go out and party every night it is. :-)
What about the size of the business and investment into the business, does it matter how much I paid?

It used to be 3 million. The interpretation of the law changed 5 months ago. Now its 1 million Baht registered capital for Amity.

Also how far in advance should I begin proceeding with the business and residency application.
Two months before you arrive is wise.
In addition, is the treaty allowed me to purchase property as well.

You cannot own land. You can own a condo. You could lease the land on a 30 year leasehold or acquire 39% of the land with a Thai company that was not formed under Amity.

See you in Bangkok. Feel free to e-mail us.

Is there such a thing as maybe you are still a Thai even tho you hold US citizenship,like dual national,If you can get a Thai passport then you wouldn't have to put up with the B.S. of getting visa's and the requirements that pertain to farang.

I asure would check it out before I came as a farang..

Is there such a thing as maybe you are still a Thai even tho you hold US citizenship,like dual national,If you can get a Thai passport then you wouldn't have to put up with the B.S. of getting visa's and the requirements that pertain to farang.

I asure would check it out before I came as a farang..

yes, come as a Thai, not as a Farang....much easier.

You are entitled to dual citizenship/dual nationality...trust me. In fact, according to Thai law, you are still a Thai citizen as you never formally renounced Thai citizenship.

There are many of us out there with Thai and foreign passports. Don't let anyone tell you that it is illegal, because its not. Check out the link I posted earlier, it will answer most of your questions (as well as some other questions you didn't know about!)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i was wondering about the dual-citizenship and military service obligation. I am a US citizen, born in the US to thai parents, and currently living in the USA. My father is now naturalized as a US citizen. My mother has a greencard. I am not on a house registry in thailand (but i have other family there). I have a thai birth certificate. My parents both have thai ID cards. Ok thats the background. So can i apply for thai citizenship in this situation? What do i need to do? Do my parents need to be present in thailand when i try to go do all of this stuff?

And finally, if i do get and ID card and thai citizenship, what are the rules regarding the military obligation? I am a 27 year old male. Am i required draw at the lotteries? Is there no way around it? Thank you very much in advance.