Gasohol Vs 91 Octane

tom yum goong

My new car (Jazz Vtec) came with a tank full of 91 octane. I used 91 on my previous Nissan Sunny and of course everything was fine.

However, i just noticed yesterday that here in Phuket, Gasohol is about 0.70 Baht cheaper than 91 octane. This would result in a saving of around 20 Baht everytime i filled up my tank.

So i'm wondering if i should switch over to gasohol.

Gasohol vs. 95 octane has already been discussed in an older topic, but i was wondering if i anyone had any views on gasohol vs. 91 octane?

I know my car can handle gasohol, but would fuel consumption increase? what about performance? and if i want to switch, how do i go about it? should i wait until i've used up almost every last drop in my tank before filling up with gasohol?

thanks for any replies.

We're using gasohol in our Toyota Vios. It works fine. We did not worry about mixing Regular 91 and gasohol. It should make no difference.

Theoretically, the fuel efficiency of gasohol should be less because alcohol has fewer BTU's by volume than does Regular 91.

In our case it was not enough to notice. On gasohol we get about 17 kilometers per liter on the highway; a few less for city-only driving.

I'm still not convinced that gasohol is any more friendly to the environment than regular petrol/gasoline.

hi Buadhai

I was just thinking about switching to gasohol as it seems to be cheaper than 91 octane at the moment.

But if i get less fuel efficiency than 91, i might not be saving any money at all.

I thought gasohol is a replacement for 95 octane and would give better performance than 91 octane. Now i'm a bit confused.

On a Nissan Cefiro 2 liter v6 it resulted in a consumption increase of about 5%.

Since the Nissan needs 95 octane, the price difference (1.5 Baht/liter) can't even make up for the increased consumption.

The car also had a little less oomph when overtaking, noticable since the 2 liter is a little small for the big Cefiro.

The fuel system of my 23 year old Volvo probably will fall to pieces when I try gasohol :o

I say, i use 91 or better. With the high compression of most Toyota , Honda and Nissan engines its a very good idea to runa good octane. take it frum meeh as an Automotive Tuner and Rebuilder. Not having enough octane will deteriate yur spark plugs at a faster rate and cause valve train pinging and lower performance, especially in high compression engines. 91!!!