Why Thailand Focuses On Face.

jamman

You dicuss about "face" and  the face you talking is just a face of all too .There's something deep in cultural issue that you never know because your idea bases on western perspective

P.S  I'm sorry tee pasa angrit khong nu mai kang rang ka

So you are saying that as a Westerner, I'll never really get inside all the meanings and connotations of face? I'll never really understand Eastern culture, because I'm not Eastern?

If so, I reject that view. I think I can understand eastern culture, but from my own perspective. Which isn't theirs and thus isn't the same.

We can communicate and make judgments.

Granted, nobodies experience is the same as anyone else's. People still communicate, there is a feeling of some mutual understanding. Within Canada there are countless sub-cultures, and we all can poke fun at each other. We aren't utterly isolated, just because we have different points of view. Yes, I understand anyone and anything I see is seen from my perspective, but I can sharpen my understanding to such a degree that it makes good sense to have confidence in it. One point of view can have some empathy and penetration into another - people can hear two notes or understand two ideas at the same time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dicuss about "face" and  the face you talking is just a face of all too .There's something deep in cultural issue that you never know because your idea bases on western perspective

So you are saying that as a Westerner, I'll never really get inside all the meanings and connotations of face? I'll never really understand Eastern culture, because I'm not Eastern?

If so, I reject that view. I think I can understand eastern culture, but from my own perspective. Which isn't theirs and thus isn't the same.

Granted, nobodies experience is the same as anyone else's. People still communicate, there is a feeling of some mutual understanding. Within Canada there are countless sub-cultures, and we all can poke fun at each other. We aren't utterly isolated, just because we have different points of view. Yes, I understand anyone and anything I see is seen from my perspective, but I can sharpen my understanding to such a degree that it makes good sense to have confidence in it. One point of view can have some empathy and penetration into another - people can hear two notes or understand two ideas at the same time.

This idea of yours still has limitations. One person can never fully know another person. To do that the first person would have to become the second. So, the first person can only have a limited understanding of the experiences of the second person. It would be a mistake and maybe an insult to say that because you have an imagination you can completely "understand" someone elses experiences.

This idea of yours still has limitations. One person can never fully know another person. To do that the first person would have to become the second. So, the first person can only have a limited understanding of the experiences of the second person. It would be a mistake and maybe an insult to say that because you have an imagination you can completely "understand" someone elses experiences.

I agree with you, but think that it's a big mistake to take that notion to it's extreme. We are stuck in our lonely positions of seeing everything from a perspective, but it can be an informed perspective, informed from what we see. We do participate in a real world. We can know it to that extent. We do share our world.

It's hard for me to believe that you sincere in your post.  Do you honestly believe that I'm lying about where I lived and for how long?   

I find it hard to believe anyone who lived in Bali would come out with a generalisation about Javanese in Bali the way you did, and that someone who lived in so many countries, has so little understanding of cultural differences in general. :D
Forgive my ignorance, but are there really people who post here who bullshit quite that much?  Why would anyone?
That question is for you to answer. :o