Driving In Thailand

You need to add an international driving license to you UK license. Your are only allowed to drive with the international license for 3 month, afterwards you have to get a thai license.

Thanks Henry,

How do you get a Thai License?

Lee

Check best the special forum about getting the thai license.

an old post says:

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

A recent report (April 2009) says that documents required for first application are:

Original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

Medical report (any doctor can supply)

Address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

Current International Driving Permit

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

For renewal

1. Expired drivers licenses.

2) A colour test & reaction test on computer is now required for renewal.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

• Repor

I have a full UK driving license, I will be moving to Thailand this year with a Non O visa and will be looking to buy a Isuzu Dmac, do I need a permit to drive or is my UK driving license acceptable.

Hi Lee,

It's very easy and it doesn't really matter where in Thailand you'll apply. You should come on an international, then change it to a Thai license. Go to any transportation office and apply for it. When you're going there ,right before your UK one expires, you won't have to make a test. If so, you'll make a simple 20 questions theory test. Shouldn't you know the answers, 500 baht would fill them out for you.

The worst that could happen to you is a reaction test, a which color is it test, and a boring one hour movie in Thai about road safety.

You'll receive a one one year first, then a five years license.

Will cost you around 300 baht for a car and about the same amount for a motorcycle. Good luck! jap.gif

I have a full UK driving license, I will be moving to Thailand this year with a Non O visa and will be looking to buy a Isuzu Dmac, do I need a permit to drive or is my UK driving license acceptable.

Hi Lee,

It's very easy and it doesn't really matter where in Thailand you'll apply. You should come on an international, then change it to a Thai license. Go to any transportation office and apply for it. When you're going there ,right before your UK one expires, you won't have to make a test. If so, you'll make a simple 20 questions theory test. Shouldn't you know the answers, 500 baht would fill them out for you.

The worst that could happen to you is a reaction test, a which color is it test, and a boring one hour movie in Thai about road safety.

You'll receive a one one year first, then a five years license.

Will cost you around 300 baht for a car and about the same amount for a motorcycle. Good luck! jap.gif

Hi Sirchai,

Thanks for the Info.

You said right before my UK license expires, my UK license expires in 2046.

You need to add an international driving license to you UK license. Your are only allowed to drive with the international license for 3 month, afterwards you have to get a thai license.

Thanks Henry,

How do you get a Thai License?

Lee

There's no such thing as a international driving license, it's a permit and you don't need it in Thailand.smile.png

You can drive for up to 90 days on a full UK valid driving license.smile.png

If your coming to Thailand to live just get a Thai driving license as well at the DLT ( Department of Land & Transport ) in the province your staying, some provinces requirements are different but is all easy done and nothing to worry about.jap.gif

Still get the IDP from UK. With it you don't need to take written and drive tests. You could also use your UK one translated and certified by your embassy but it is a hassle.

With the IDP from UK it will be easy as all DLT's in Thailand are familiar with it.

And to clarify.

It is common understanding that your UK DL armed with IDP can be used three months and after that you should have Thai DL. So do not wait until it expires.

Sure this being Thailand you have no problems driving with your UK DL or without any DL as long as there is accident or something else happens. If your lucky insurance companies accept your UK DL but if not.....

And to clarify.

It is common understanding that your UK DL armed with IDP can be used three months and after that you should have Thai DL. So do not wait until it expires.

Sure this being Thailand you have no problems driving with your UK DL or without any DL as long as there is accident or something else happens. If your lucky insurance companies accept your UK DL but if not.....

Misleading OP, I got my first 1 year Thai DL in a short visit to the local DLT and a IDP is not required.

from " katabeachbum "

there is no law requiring uk lisence to be backed by IDP in LOS. uk lisence is good as long as you are not here for more than 90 days.

After 90 days a thai lisence is required to drive legally.

Kata is a respected sorce of information & Scuba.

from " ScubaBuddha "

This is Thailand and every province, cop, insurance carrier, and day of the week is different from the next.

Whoever wrote that line, "An international driver's license is accepted in Thailand. A foreign license holds no weight here." probably didn't understand that they were contradicting themselves. What most people don't realize, and what the illegitimate IDP touts don't want you to know is that because our UK, American, Canadian, Austrailian etc, etc drivers license's are already in English and contain a photo, they are already considered international drivers licenses i.e. no IDP is needed in most cases. That is why the cops always accept them with no IDP. And this is what is meant by "International Drivers Licenses are accepted." This makes sense because if your DL is already in English and already has a photo of you, why on earth would you need a translation document (the IDP) translating into 10 languages, non of which are Thai?

I refer back my post No. 8.

OP if your moving to Thailand just get a Thai DL in the province your moving into, no worries.cool.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Pretty much need a vehicle and thats it! You can drive either direction in either lane, park anywhere you want, even in traffic lane, its acceptable to cut people off, and drive fast in the city and slow on the expressway! If you drive a motorcycle, you don't need a helmet and can ride as many as can fit on it, and be sure to whack a few mirrors to keep them car people alert!! Just a day or two in Bangkok trafic will tell you all of this is true, but you do need to keep some cash on hand in case you get stopped, so you can help out them nice officers!

• Like 1

Post containing a whole lot of off topic and rather nasty stuff deleted. This forum is NOT for you to follow people around to play out your grievances. It WILL stop. I do hope this is perfectly clear