Don't Cry For Her, Thailand

webfact

VENUS' VISION

Don't cry for her, Thailand

Veena Thoopkrajae

30177182-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- "Being a woman won't affect my work as prime minister," said Yingluck Shinawatra shortly after she was named the first female prime minister of Thailand.

Her words were politically correct, given the public's positive feeling.

Seven months have passed since she was elected to the top post. The early vow she made has become far less convincing to the public. Initially, critics didn't like the fact that she wept several times in public, and questioned if her political apparatus was using her tears as a political weapon. But nothing has shaken her as much as the "Four Seasons" hotel controversy - an incident that even many feminists find hard to support her over.

While many view the subsequentrumour-mongering as a purely political attack against a female premier, the incident does leave a bad taste. Although we go down the dirty path where some politicians cash in on the controversy, the issue has helped opened up genuine discussion of feminism and leadership.

A group of female academics and NGO workers recently issued a statement entitled "Just Because She’s a Woman" ("Chai Sak Tae Wa Pen Ying"), and to my delight, they are people who stay true to their feminist ideals. The statement, signed by over 170 people including leading academics, can be viewed on various news websites and blogs.

Yingluck's supporters view the Four Seasons controversy as a nonsense allegation or a dirty political trick, but it has been examined thoroughly by the group. And I must say I can't afford to disagree.

Yingluck must have forgotten her early words when she tired to portray the issue as an attack on a woman. She responded on her Facebook page that she did not reply to the rumours at first because she was not keen on playing political games. She also called it a nonsense issue. But she has missed the essence of the issue as a matter of public interest. Her visit to a hotel may be viewed as private unless it happens on a parliamentary meeting day. The public's right to know and inquire is valid here.

The "Just because she is a woman" statement puts it clearly in the light of women's rights, as it tries to eliminate inequalities based on sex. "According to Article 30 of the 1997 Constitution, men and woman shall enjoy equal rights. This means, regardless of gender, a prime minister must explain honestly when missing a parliamentary meeting." The group also opposes Yingluck's cry for women's dignity in the allegation. "The rights claimed by women are correct in the case that women have seen their rights and dignity infringed upon by the law, society and culture. They should not be claimed for gaining sympathy over personal action, especially when that action is not obstructed by law." To sum up, there is no relevant connection between women's rights and dignity and absence from a parliamentary meeting.

The central point of the statement is that if one wants to promote equal rights and provide understanding, then women's rights cannot allow special privileges to women. They are a set of rights that provide equality in all aspects. A woman who steals or cheats is not entitled to a light penalty because of her gender. Being female is not meant to be a benefit in any situation; you are just equal.

It is not wrong for Yingluck to say she will utilise her femininity to work fully for Thailand, but her recent set up of a special women's fund also drew criticism from the same feminist group. Women, when compared to under-privileged groups in society, have no urgent need for such a fund. The statement notes a number of groups that Yingluck may have overlooked such as the disabled, elderly, single parents, hilltribe children and many more. In my opinion, the special fund for women widens the gap between men and women in our society.

Being a woman doesn't necessarily hinder any female leader as long as she doesn't exercise her femininity on the wrong occasion or in the wrong situation. The prime minister can always study the likes of strong women like Burma's democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi; England's "iron lady", Magaret Thatcher; and the late Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan. None of them, as the statement says, ever used the excuse of "being a woman" in time of conflict or struggle.

If Yingluck's goal is to be a good leader, she should review her feminism in order to silence her critics. The fact that her party's members still attack male rivals by using the expression "wearing a skirt" is a telltale sign of the existence of discrimination against women among them. Perhaps she could start there, condemning all men in Parliament who use that expression.

Even better would be for Yingluck to prove to society that she is the one who wears the pants and doesn't need to weep or exploit her femininity to escape a crisis.

(The "Just because she is a woman" statement [in Thai] can be accessed on prasong.com and ryt9.com.)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-03

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A PM that cries in public? You have to be kidding me. Is that the best you can do Thailand? Geez Barak Obama will go down as the worst President in US history but at least he lets his staff do all the crying and whining for him. Oh well, at least she's easy on the eyes!

• Like 2

""Being a woman won't affect my work as prime minister," said Yingluck Shinawatra shortly after she was named the first female prime minister of Thailand."

This might be true, but being Taksin brother will definately affect her work

• Like 1

The author stresses the view that an MP should be attending parliament unless they have a good reason to do otherwise. The PM seems to feel that this does not apply to her, an attitude held by her brother while he was in office. In fact any excuse, or none at all, seems sufficient.

It's all too common for feminist women to claim special rights and benefits for being women, and fail to see the double standards. It's good that this group have come out to enlighten the PM and others about this issue.

I don't see how any mention of being male or female would help the functioning of government, so it should not be brought up in the first place.

Whether you liked Margaret Thatcher or not, she had balls.

Should be more like her in powerful positions to sort out egotistical males who think they can exploit, corrupt etc

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Not convinced that corruption is genetic or gender-specific, but its an interesting proposition. There have been several females in high positions convicted of corruption over the years, so the evidence of genetic/gender basis looks a bit thin.

Whether you liked Margaret Thatcher or not, she had balls.

Should be more like her in powerful positions to sort out egotistical males who think they can exploit, corrupt etc

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

"but her recent set up of a special women's fund also drew criticism from the same feminist group. Women, when compared to under-privileged groups in society, have no urgent need for such a fund."

I wonder if there are no women in the under-priviledged groups that could take benefit from a special womens fund? It would appear 'women' when compared to 'under priviledged groups' are doing just fine in Thailand......wow......this writer really understands the womens 'place' in Thailand.....equality rules.....

The writer attacks parliamentary respresentatives for accusing other members of 'wearing a skirt'

Then states

"Even better would be for Yingluck to prove to society that she is the one who wears the pants"

I think the writer is just a little confused with the effort of trying to aim criticism at Yingluck and providing enough solid example to back the claim up other than one single comment

People expect Yingluck to behave like an ideal politician and that sets them up for a huge disappointment. Saying that she is her brother's clone again and again also does not impress anybody anymore, her supporters think it's actually a plus.

Thai people have spoken rather loudly on the issue - they don't care as long as she smiles a lot and has Thaksin's backing, it's their choice. If she can't keep the country together and we see return of street politics and violence again, people will weigh that outcome against their liking for Yingluck, and Yingluch might win again. The outrage over killing of people on the streets might not be as big as some people hope, perhaps one smile from the PM can soothe all nation's wounds.

One day it will backfire but the country needs to learn its lessons, simply teaching Thais not to do this and that is not going to work. The outcome should be judged by how much they learn, not by how much the well-wishers teach.

I am afraid that restricting your last lines to Thai people is a bit short sighted.

Everywhere in the world people tend to forget lessons and to believe the biggest liars.

The writer attacks parliamentary respresentatives for accusing other members of 'wearing a skirt'

Then states

"Even better would be for Yingluck to prove to society that she is the one who wears the pants"

I think the writer is just a little confused with the effort of trying to aim criticism at Yingluck and providing enough solid example to back the claim up other than one single comment

I'm sure you can supply us with a plethora of decisions that were clearly her own, no reports of calls from Dubai, perhaps something that has annoyed her brother. Maybe even a minister without a record of Thaksin sycophancy?

Then states

I'm sure you can supply us with a plethora of decisions that were clearly her own, no reports of calls from Dubai, perhaps something that has annoyed her brother. Maybe even a minister without a record of Thaksin sycophancy?

Please try to keep your Thaksin obsession out of every thread.......it simply removes any incentive to respond to your posts.......thanks

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

People expect Yingluck to behave like an ideal politician and that sets them up for a huge disappointment. Saying that she is her brother's clone again and again also does not impress anybody anymore, her supporters think it's actually a plus.

Thai people have spoken rather loudly on the issue - they don't care as long as she smiles a lot and has Thaksin's backing, it's their choice. If she can't keep the country together and we see return of street politics and violence again, people will weigh that outcome against their liking for Yingluck, and Yingluch might win again. The outrage over killing of people on the streets might not be as big as some people hope, perhaps one smile from the PM can soothe all nation's wounds.

One day it will backfire but the country needs to learn its lessons, simply teaching Thais not to do this and that is not going to work. The outcome should be judged by how much they learn, not by how much the well-wishers teach.

I am afraid that restricting your last lines to Thai people is a bit short sighted.

Everywhere in the world people tend to forget lessons and to believe the biggest liars.

If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.

Then states

Please tryb to keep your Thaksin obsession out of every thread.......it simply removes any incentive to respond to your posts.......thanks

No? As I thought, not bloody one. How about a parliamentary debate (ie not reading from a prepared script)?

Claiming the Op should give an example, and yet failing to find at least ONE to refute - poor effort.

• Like 2

I like her. For a woman with limited Political experience, a woman who was expected to lose the election and won it easily, a woman who took over from a Gov that has not done any better than her, a Gov that did not have the worst flood in history to deal with and now a severe drought to deal with. A woman who has had a heap of stupid allegation directed at her and her lifestyle.

She will win out in the end. Watch this space.

• Like 2

Then states

Please try to keep your Thaksin obsession out of every thread.......it simply removes any incentive to respond to your posts.......thanks

It must be very difficult to do so as she is Thaksin's sister and admits to talking to him all the time and asking advice.

She claimed that the "new"cabinet was all her own idea yet one new minister knew he would be a minister before the announcement as he said openly that he had been to see Thaksin and was assured days before the announcement that he had the job.

He did not talk to Yingluck but to her big brother who seems to be the person running the government from self imposed exile.

And a good job he's doing as well,just think how better he would be if he was the Prime Minister.

It must be very difficult to do so as she is Thaksin's sister and admits to talking to him all the time and asking advice.

She claimed that the "new"cabinet was all her own idea yet one new minister knew he would be a minister before the announcement as he said openly that he had been to see Thaksin and was assured days before the announcement that he had the job.

He did not talk to Yingluck but to her big brother who seems to be the person running the government from self imposed exile.

And a good job he's doing as well,just think how better he would be if he was the Prime Minister.

Yes of course, and she is doing another Thaksin so called drug war, this time targeting anti PTP people? 2500 last time, how many this time?

The real issue is not her possibly having a sex liason.

That is the distraction for hiding the real story:

Potential graft and insider trading

Meeting with real estate moguls just prior to the flood land reclamation specifics being announced publicly, opens the door to suspicions of 'giving them the plans in advance, to buy up tracts of land cheap, and then sell for a profit to the government'.

This IS what real estate people do; buy land, and flip it improved or not for a profit.

Yingluck was in the property biz, and knows the players.

Why is it not inappropriate at the least, and likely highly unethical, for her to deal with potential 'government business partners, prior to a massive land purchase'? If one person at that meeting sells land to the flood program, it can be reasonably assumed there was insider trading of some sort.

It is a family tradition.

• Like 1

""Being a woman won't affect my work as prime minister," said Yingluck Shinawatra shortly after she was named the first female prime minister of Thailand."

This might be true, but being Taksin brother will definately affect her work

Is she a ladyboy?

The task of the prime minister is to take very unpleasant decissions, which hurt a part of the population maybe very much, but necessary to protect a much bigger part of the population.

The other ministers should be task professionals for the Ministry they are responsable for.

Sorry, but THAT's why I hired in a (prime) minister and not a comic on TV.

When HE or SHE is not able to do so, sorry, has to be replaced.