Razor Blades At Big C

sharky1

You guys sure like to get ripped off on blades. I just buy 100 Astra double edge blades at a beauty supply for B150. smile.png Good blades, those.

Ripped is the word,I cannot use them without cutting myself,yes they are cheap. Again it it the shaving lotion and brush that makes the difference,used to sell Old Spice shaving cream at Best supermarket at 150 baht a tube,went like wildfire,brushes too. The guy near Villa sometimes sells the stuff too,at around same price.

I don't think North Americans use shaving brushes, we just squirt the foam into our hand and slap it around our face. Is this a European thing? What is the benefit of using a brush?

I'm a Norte Americano myself. Feels s-o-o-o good. Besides. it's what real men™ do, part of The Ritual. smile.png Think Steve McQueen squirted foam into his hand? Nah! No way.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

You guys sure like to get ripped off on blades. I just buy 100 Astra double edge blades at a beauty supply for B150. smile.png Good blades, those.

Ripped is the word,I cannot use them without cutting myself,yes they are cheap. Again it it the shaving lotion and brush that makes the difference,used to sell Old Spice shaving cream at Best supermarket at 150 baht a tube,went like wildfire,brushes too. The guy near Villa sometimes sells the stuff too,at around same price.

The Body Shop sells its fine high-end cream, wonderful if you got the dosh. Crabtree & Evelyn, Emporium Bangkok, sell their cream or soap or both--also expensive.

On the cheap, a creamy soap like Imperial Leather or Dove will do + a shot o' shampoo as somebody's mentioned. Or, hell, just body lotion of some kind.

Edited by JSixpack

I don't think North Americans use shaving brushes, we just squirt the foam into our hand and slap it around our face. Is this a European thing? What is the benefit of using a brush?

I'm a Norte Americano myself. Feels s-o-o-o good. Besides. it's what real men™ do, part of The Ritual. smile.png Think Steve McQueen squirted foam into his hand? Nah! No way.

from what I've read other things were squrting in his mouth

Cannot beat tradition when it comes to shaving,and I do not mean the leather strap. Some of the shaving lotions (out of a tube) are exotic,north African herbs,oils,fragrances,sure help keep the skin on the face well protected. Even the brushes ,badger hair,other types of hair for the brush,just look on the 'net at the variety,the antiseptic shaving blocks that seal any nicks,strong biting aftershave,then any creme to put the essential oils back into the skin ,stopping chaffing,especially in this sun. No thanks to the gel,it is horrible stuff,so is the can applied shaving soap. The only improvement I can see are the 5 blade shavers,and they are only available at Watsons here in Thailand,probably Gillette,branded by Watsons

Cannot beat tradition when it comes to shaving,and I do not mean the leather strap. Some of the shaving lotions (out of a tube) are exotic,north African herbs,oils,fragrances,sure help keep the skin on the face well protected. Even the brushes ,badger hair,other types of hair for the brush,just look on the 'net at the variety,the antiseptic shaving blocks that seal any nicks,strong biting aftershave,then any creme to put the essential oils back into the skin ,stopping chaffing,especially in this sun. No thanks to the gel,it is horrible stuff,so is the can applied shaving soap. The only improvement I can see are the 5 blade shavers,and they are only available at Watsons here in Thailand,probably Gillette,branded by Watsons

Oh ! and I did a test to see how long the 5 bladed type last and got two months before discarding,now use them for about 6 weeks before discarding,but again I think it is the shaving lotion over the gels that pro long use

Oh ! and I did a test to see how long the 5 bladed type last and got two months before discarding,now use them for about 6 weeks before discarding,but again I think it is the shaving lotion over the gels that pro long use

How much are the 5 bladed type? I get about 4 good shaves per Astra blade, so 6 weeks of shaves (daily) cost me about 16 baht. :)

I bought several boxes of the Schick Quattro blades when they were on sale at Carefour I believe. For sure they are not cheap but they last so much longer than the others. I also use Gillette sometimes but find these last longer. They have 4 blades + an edging blade. That and my shaving oil and I'm a happy camper.

I also keep my eye out for specials online and will by a bunch when I see a good price and have someone hand carry them out here or ship them when I get some infrequent parcels of things from the US.

I thought about going the route of the straight edge blade (old school) but I'm just too lazy and if I can get the 4 blade ones for a good price then I'm happy.

I bought several boxes of the Schick Quattro blades when they were on sale at Carefour I believe. For sure they are not cheap but they last so much longer than the others. I also use Gillette sometimes but find these last longer. They have 4 blades + an edging blade. That and my shaving oil and I'm a happy camper.

I also keep my eye out for specials online and will by a bunch when I see a good price and have someone hand carry them out here or ship them when I get some infrequent parcels of things from the US.

I thought about going the route of the straight edge blade (old school) but I'm just too lazy and if I can get the 4 blade ones for a good price then I'm happy.

I find daunting the thought of being in the same residence with both a Thai woman and a straight razor.

Edited by JSixpack

How much are the 5 bladed type? I get about 4 good shaves per Astra blade, so 6 weeks of shaves (daily) cost me about 16 baht. smile.png

5 bladed type at Watsons were 139 baht for a box of 4 when I bought, scoured all over the Watson s branches when their offer was on,bought up as many as I could get hold of,now I think they are 200 baht,but they are good,....again I think they are Gillette ,with Watson brand name.

How much are the 5 bladed type? I get about 4 good shaves per Astra blade, so 6 weeks of shaves (daily) cost me about 16 baht. smile.png

5 bladed type at Watsons were 139 baht for a box of 4 when I bought, scoured all over the Watson s branches when their offer was on,bought up as many as I could get hold of,now I think they are 200 baht,but they are good,....again I think they are Gillette ,with Watson brand name.

That is a good price. I will have to stop into watsons more often and check prices/stock for a slick deal.

I buy a pack of 5-10 Astra blades for 20 baht at the local thai market, i guess i bought the plastic shaver at the market for 20 baht too. I use the hand soap & water for the foam.

Sometimes if i'm too ignorant i shave off my skin, -so what ?

a few minutes after bleeding stop i wash it off, and thats the end of it.

The single blade holders are pathetic in Thailand,one supplier in Bangkok deals in Feather products,a Japanese maker,probably the best or one of the best that can be got hold of. The plastic holder one blade packet for about 10 bahts,is surprisingly a good holder too.

Using soap as a lubricant is painful,chaffing and soreness for sure

Used to be a manufacturer in Sattahip made them virtually to order,they were expensive ,but good,now cannot locate their advert,used to sell them on e bay UK and so forth,could not buy in Thailand

The single blade holders are pathetic in Thailand,one supplier in Bangkok deals in Feather products,a Japanese maker,probably the best or one of the best that can be got hold of. The plastic holder one blade packet for about 10 bahts,is surprisingly a good holder too.

Using soap as a lubricant is painful,chaffing and soreness for sure

Used to be a manufacturer in Sattahip made them virtually to order,they were expensive ,but good,now cannot locate their advert,used to sell them on e bay UK and so forth,could not buy in Thailand

Go to a beauty supply and buy in bulk. You'll have a choice of Gillette, Feather, Lord, Dorco, Astra SS, Astra SP, etc. Astra SS uses a plastic holder if you really need that.

Edited by JSixpack

• 2 months later...