Reporting Illegal Workers In Pattaya

hktbkk

Hi all,

Ok I am a newbie on here and only really signed up for this one topic because Im sick of hearing about dodgy farangs in Pattaya conducting dodgy business and scamming people. Its just happened to me.

I wont bother with the story but basically does anyone know how I can report a company hiring illegal workers to the police or immigration here in Pattaya ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by hktbkk

I can't imagine you will get much support from people on this forum in respect of your request.

Thanks for letting me know but why not ?

Do people on this forum like illegal workers or scammers then. Sorry, confused.

Edited by hktbkk

I can't imagine you will get much support from people on this forum in respect of your request.

If you have been scammed then why don't just go to your nearest police and report the details.

Partially because some people are very against do-gooders/whistleblowers/grasses. They feel it's not your place to get people in hot water with any authority. I am very sympathetic to you and feel evil can only exist when good men do nothing. I have been scammed by foreign run businesses (and their foreign workers who I know are working here illegally) and had the same thoughts as you. I hesitated because I knew the probability would be too high of it coming back to me and life is cheap here. However, if you can get a Thai to handle it for you and aren't worried about a comeback, I applaud you.

If you have been scammed then why don't just go to your nearest police and report the details.

Ok thanks

Partially because some people are very against do-gooders/whistleblowers/grasses. They feel it's not your place to get people in hot water with any authority. I am very sympathetic to you and feel evil can only exist when good men do nothing. I have been scammed by foreign run businesses (and their foreign workers who I know are working here illegally) and had the same thoughts as you. I hesitated because I knew the probability would be too high of it coming back to me and life is cheap here. However, if you can get a Thai to handle it for you and aren't worried about a comeback, I applaud you.

Thank you very much for your answer. I agree and maybe better to rethink.

Were you one of the illegal workers the company hired? i.e. you have no work permit?

I was sent to get a B visa on the condition that my permit would be applied for as soon as I got back. In the meantime was told that when the permit was being applied for that I was legal. Later found out they didnt even have any intention of applying for the permit for at least 3 months and werent willing to tell me. Other workers are in the same boat and have stayed there. The only difference is I am unwilling to take that risk. They wasted my time, money and after threatened to come down on me if I reported them.

Edited by hktbkk

I think you pretty much answered your own question in the OP (report a company hiring illegal workers to the police or immigration here in Pattaya ?). As mentioned by Sharky, my only concern would be that by reporting them, you may put a target on your back. The suggestion of getting a Thai friend to report them would only transfer the target.

If you feel strongly enough about it, go to Immigration and report it!

Doing my own inquiries amongst expat friends, I was told that immigration must follow up all reports which is how bar owners ensure their neighbors receive a visit from the authorities (ie: bar open past curfew and hiring illegals being the most common).

This might not be useful but of the expats I spoke with, the Aussie/UK friends came down hard on me for being a "grass." My North American friends were more supportive but cautious. Interesting cultural differences...

I think you pretty much answered your own question in the OP (report a company hiring illegal workers to the police or immigration here in Pattaya ?). As mentioned by Sharky, my only concern would be that by reporting them, you may put a target on your back. The suggestion of getting a Thai friend to report them would only transfer the target.

If you feel strongly enough about it, go to Immigration and report it!

Thanks for your answer.

Need to have a think but maybe its not worth the comeback.

Doing my own inquiries amongst expat friends, I was told that immigration must follow up all reports which is how bar owners ensure their neighbors receive a visit from the authorities (ie: bar open past curfew and hiring illegals being the most common).

This might not be useful but of the expats I spoke with, the Aussie/UK friends came down hard on me for being a "grass." My North American friends were more supportive but cautious. Interesting cultural differences...

Thanks, that is useful.

Jeez,only 56 minutes after you open a topic you retreat from you intentions already.You know very well where to report illegal practices.

So what gonna be your next comment?I have decided to work illegal same as all those other and support my crook employers?

As for the threats that will come after you,yeah everybody has a lot of power here,especially those who can't even afford to set up a legal business.

Give me a break,and just report them to the official instances.I don't see foreigners shot here on a daily base,but I see however some deported for illegal practices on a daily base.

• Like 1

Jeez,only 56 minutes after you open a topic you retreat from you intentions already.You know very well where to report illegal practices.

So what gonna be your next comment?I have decided to work illegal same as all those other and support my crook employers?

As for the threats that will come after you,yeah everybody has a lot of power here,especially those who can't even afford to set up a legal business.

Give me a break,and just report them to the official instances.I don't see foreigners shot here on a daily base,but I see however some deported for illegal practices on a daily base.

I appreciate any answer, even if they are a bit aggressive.

It's certainly a scam if they are doing that. Once you have a Non Imm B Visa, your employer should be undertaking the paperwork to obtain your work permit and extension of stay. We generally push all of the WP stuff through in the second month, and the extension of stay from what I recall has to be done in the final month of the visa. Unfortunately, it seems to be a common thing that goes on with some of the less than ethical employers. Reporting this practice to MOL and Immigration is probably the best way, but again be-careful; it may depend on how well "connected" the employer is. Sadly the scenario that you have set out is all too common.

I appreciate every OP,even if they turn out to be weak to the bone and already had their answer in mind before starting the thread.

Well if that is the case and you knew that then why did you even get involved in the topic. Unless ofcourse your intention was only to start an argument, which I suspect.

Your opinion is noted and thanks for it.

It's certainly a scam if they are doing that. Once you have a Non Imm B Visa, your employer should be undertaking the paperwork to obtain your work permit and extension of stay. We generally push all of the WP stuff through in the second month, and the extension of stay from what I recall has to be done in the final month of the visa. Unfortunately, it seems to be a common thing that goes on with some of the less than ethical employers. Reporting this practice to MOL and Immigration is probably the best way, but again be-careful; it may depend on how well "connected" the employer is. Sadly the scenario that you have set out is all too common.

Thanks for that. Yeah I am getting the same feeling from most people on this thread. It is useul to know and the reason why I started it. Thanks

Thanks for that. Yeah I am getting the same feeling from most people on this thread. It is useul to know at least what the correct procedure should of been and where to report it to. Its the reason why I started it the thread. Thanks

Original question answered and the OP is happy and thanks everyone for their replies. So before we go off the rails and it ends in more acrimonious exchanges the topic is //CLOSED//