My New Diet...

samsiam

Over the last few weeks I had firmly made up my mind to start the juice only diet featured on 'fat, sick and nearly dead' doco.

I made conscience decision to start the day after my kids birthdays just to get them out of the way and all the good tucker they usually include.

So, the 3rd of March was launch date.

Missed it by a coupla days....but going to start tomorrow for sure....have to get to the market and buy fruit n vegies.

I decided to go full pelt and do 30 days...but see how I felt at 15 days.

I have a strong mind when required.

It will start tomorrow.

So much food in the fridge that might go to waste....just ordered our western fill of pies, snags, lamb and such....guess they can wait in the freezer...I think.

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See how you feel after 3 days first! I've heard of a juice-only detox for a few days but never 30; you'll be a wreck. I don't know your reasons for trying this diet but it will waste your money, time and energy and make you very ill.

Do a search for the 4 hour body I posted here. Tons of great info on low carb eating and basic exercise to lose weight on a regular basis. I find it to be an easy diet due to the fact that you get 1 cheat day a week to eat whatever you want.

See....I am not good at long repeated and regimented stuff.....much better at quick hit and shock value kinda stuff.....so this suits me better I think.

I am ready in my head to do it....programmed.

Except, last night we bought cheesecake and its in the fridge now....so it will go off if not eaten tonight....so tomorrow is the big day.

Just how do you think you will keep the weight off ? I mean it seems like you like food a lot so whatever goes off (mostly water weight to start with) will come back quick. Loosing weight is never easy and if you dont change yourself it wont stay off. It will get harder to loose each time.

• Like 1

IMO those crash lose weight things just deplete water, and even muscles if protein get low,

and then metabolism is even worse after.

When an old friend who made it 2nd place in world body building in Japan wanted to define his muscles:

-He took a very long walk at a fast pace, he said the walk has to last more than an hour to really burn

Edited by poanoi

how can it waste my money ??

Time ??

Energy ??

Strange...

Watch the movie and see how sick those people....2 in particular...got.

Hi, I think it's great that you've been inspired to become healthier and wish you the best, sorry for sounding so negative in my first post.

The documentary is inspirational and I can see why you're interested but apart from that woman in New York who did the 10-day juice fast, all the people featured were obese and ill - Joe Cross had a 53" waist at the start of filming which is insane. Any calorie-controlled diet they had tried and completed would have resulted in fat loss. I think the documentary glossed over certain side-effects of juicing for 60 days if your are already healthy, but if you are fat and sick anyway...

By a waste of time, money and energy I meant that apart from the cost of the juicer and fruit/veg every day (it was $15 or $30 organic in the movie) your body doesn't need that many nutrients, it's like body-builders who take more protein than they need, your body just excretes the extra (the results of a urinalysis would provide evidence of this) so you're just paying for really expensive piss.

Just look at what Mr Cross was doing after the fast - no caffeine, alcohol or processed foods, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and no junk food. Skip the cleanse and just follow this lead to save yourself time, money and energy.

There is only one sure way of dieting..stop eating. All the carb diets, Atkins,cabbage etc just fudge around the issue. Exercise is held up as a help ,scrunchies,press ups,gyms etc as part of a diet programme. A couch potato can lose weight,just stop eating.

It takes effort for sure,but if the willpower is there it is easy,around 14 days or so the craving for food decreases,until just remembering to eat something,anything at all,is to be mastered.

The juice diet I am not so sure about,think it was Canadian scientists who took a look at it and concluded that fruit juices,(not in fibres) but just the juice led to fatty liver,anyway it is on the 'net.

The documentary from the BBC "The truth about exercise" last month,was an eyeopener,hours of gym work being a waste of time relating to weight loss,also recent report regarding exercise from Europe,basically stating short (very short )spurts of exercise are most beneficial.

There is one way that makes it easy,it is published on this site but I am not repeating it that makes the first week or so's craving vanish.

Good luck

Just remembered something of the BBC s programme,it stated gym work for a large part of the population is a waste of time,something to do with the genes.

Edited by 23962323
  • Like 1

Vegetable juice and raw food diets are the only thing that has worked for me for a long time. I lost 60 lbs over a period of months a few years ago and I did a few 2 and 3 week juice fasts with no problems during that time and ate raw food in between. Their main drawback for me is that once I go back to cooked food, the pounds come back on very quickly and I am not willing to stick to only raw foods indefinitely. .

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Fresh fruit juice and fruit are not bad for you in moderation, just like everything else. The fructose in them is still going to screw with your glucose levels, thus messing with the glycemic index. You also risk getting a good case of diarhea, which might cause you to lose weight for sure. Consider all of your options before taking this path. Juice can be just as fattening as sitting down to a calorie laden huge meal. Fad diets, such as the grapefruit diet, the popcorn diet and even the juice diet are never a good idea.

There is only one sure way of dieting..stop eating. All the carb diets, Atkins,cabbage etc just fudge around the issue. Exercise is held up as a help ,scrunchies,press ups,gyms etc as part of a diet programme. A couch potato can lose weight,just stop eating.

It takes effort for sure,but if the willpower is there it is easy,around 14 days or so the craving for food decreases,until just remembering to eat something,anything at all,is to be mastered.

The juice diet I am not so sure about,think it was Canadian scientists who took a look at it and concluded that fruit juices,(not in fibres) but just the juice led to fatty liver,anyway it is on the 'net.

The documentary from the BBC "The truth about exercise" last month,was an eyeopener,hours of gym work being a waste of time relating to weight loss,also recent report regarding exercise from Europe,basically stating short (very short )spurts of exercise are most beneficial.

There is one way that makes it easy,it is published on this site but I am not repeating it that makes the first week or so's craving vanish.

Good luck

Just remembered something of the BBC s programme,it stated gym work for a large part of the population is a waste of time,something to do with the genes.

Thanks for the tip on "The truth about exercise," I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Well...there was a delay...another birthday and such, but that went by the way yesterday and the pizza last night was outstanding.

Anyway....its difficult to get the missus across the idea of juice only....she loves to cook and loves to eat....thank god she naturally skinny.

I am not that fat...just want to quickly get rid of what I have and then keep it at that.

Actually started several days ago with juice only for one meal a day.....now thinking to go for 2 meals and only eat breakfast.....love me vegemite to much and just bought 5 loaves of bread sitting and waiting in the freezer.

The general rule with juicing is "juice the veggies, eat the fruits." This helps avoid the glycemic issues and the fruit also has the fiber the body needs to clean out the colon as the fast goes on.

All of juicing is a waste of time if you have an inferior juicer. Get a masticating one, not the kind with the centrifuge. Centrifuge kind oxidizes the juice (breaks down faster) and doesn't get all of the juice out of the veggie (juice with a bit of pulp makes digestion harder). The masticating one gets a lot more out of the veggie and saves you money in the long run. A bit harder to clean, but worth it.

You've gotten some negativity here, but I say go for it, you may be really successful with this attempt. You never know til you try.

i would like to have you weigh in at the start of this program and at the end. I am betting you will see no loss and maybe even a gain in weight. not to mention the head ache of trying to follow an out of balance system, IMO why bother when there are so many proven practile ways to choose from.

One of the best tools I used to help me loose weight was NLP. If any of you have read the Alan Carr quit smoking book it's based around the same concepts so it can be applying for dieting or anything.

I was first quite critical and snobby over such methods but if you are open minded it really is a good tool to help you.

One thing I tend to use when I'm feeling hungry is to visualise a meal I ate earlier in the day and if I feel like snacking I'd have a jar of almonds and raisens.

Good luck!

Edit: in the gym I find that interval training when doing cardio is better than a sustained period of exercise. Eg on a x trainer do 15 seconds at a very fast rate and then 15 seconds at a slow enough rate to catch your breath back. I really find this useful and more enjoyable than just a straight 25 mins at moderate pace.

Edited by wellred

Me and gyms don't mix.

Anyway.....3 lots of juices today....brought a lot of fruit yesterday and some veg.....need to get more veg for the juice.

Bad news is I ate dinner.....god I wish my wife was a <deleted> cook sometimes....but it was a good dinner....chicken breast and salad.

Tomorrow going to do all meals except breakfast as juice.......try anyway.

I do have the strength and willpower to do these things when I am focused.

I know my weight before I started....so lets see.....and want to get rid of me gut too more than anything.

Me and gyms don't mix.

Anyway.....3 lots of juices today....brought a lot of fruit yesterday and some veg.....need to get more veg for the juice.

Bad news is I ate dinner.....god I wish my wife was a <deleted> cook sometimes....but it was a good dinner....chicken breast and salad.

Tomorrow going to do all meals except breakfast as juice.......try anyway.

I know my weight before I started....so lets see.....and want to get rid of me gut too more than anything.

Its easy,really it is. Just make up your mind that that is it and go for it. The Thai GF is fed up now she does not cook for me,nothing to do 'cept stare at the wall for 6 hours a go,instead of 4,still she can watch channel 3 for a while longer too

No excuses any more....although we were in Makro today and the tim tams were cheap.....however..

Last 2 days, juice all day and meal at night....today.....light breakfast and juice only.....nothing else...

Tomorrow and lets see....maybe another 14 days to make the 15 and lets see.

Turds have turned green.....thats a sign from above.

You must have been very impressed with that BBC documentary. I suppose if you don't think too hard it may seem like an "eyeopener", but in actual fact it's just a bad documentary which will give a lot of people an excuse not to exercise. If you like we can start a new thread and discuss it in more detail....

Just as an opener, the guy tries a new exercise program requiring 3 minutes of "high intensity" (I use parentheses because we have no idea how intense he is training as we have no heart rate data to go by) exercycling per week for a month - and then when he doesn't show any increase in VO2 max after the month he is told that he is a person who doesn't respond to exercise as he has the wrong genes. It's quite ridiculous really - the exercise program is the failure yet they blame it on genes.

Also, you keep mentioning "losing weight". Yes, you'll lose weight if you diet without exercise, but you'll lose muscle weight in addition to fat weight (muscle first - fat last) and when you start eating normally again you will end up fatter than you started. Calorie restricted diets are doomed to failure - every time. Don't even try it.

YOU MUST EXERCISE!

It is extremely important to hold onto muscle while you are burning fat. That is impossible without exercise.

You keep saying this, but I think lack of willpower is your biggest problem. For 10 days you've had nothing but excuses everyday.

Apart from that, this is not going to work. You cannot get rid of a gut in a month or two - it will take a lot of dedication, exercise and a sensible diet (not a juice diet).

• Like 1

You must have been very impressed with that BBC documentary. I suppose if you don't think too hard it may seem like an "eyeopener", but in actual fact it's just a bad documentary which will give a lot of people an excuse not to exercise. If you like we can start a new thread and discuss it in more detail....

Just as an opener, the guy tries a new exercise program requiring 3 minutes of "high intensity" (I use parentheses because we have no idea how intense he is training as we have no heart rate data to go by) exercycling per week for a month - and then when he doesn't show any increase in VO2 max after the month he is told that he is a person who doesn't respond to exercise as he has the wrong genes. It's quite ridiculous really - the exercise program is the failure yet they blame it on genes.

Also, you keep mentioning "losing weight". Yes, you'll lose weight if you diet without exercise, but you'll lose muscle weight in addition to fat weight (muscle first - fat last) and when you start eating normally again you will end up fatter than you started. Calorie restricted diets are doomed to failure - every time. Don't even try it.

YOU MUST EXERCISE!

It is extremely important to hold onto muscle while you are burning fat. That is impossible without exercise.

Exercise has little to do with losing weight...if you want to lose fat and retain your muscle eat the required amount of protein. This can be anywhere from .6 to 1.0 gram per lean body mass.

By reducing your carbs and increasing fat and protein you will lose fat NOT muscle! Probably be a good idea for some of you guys to read a book or two before you start posting!

Exercise has little to do with losing weight...if you want to lose fat and retain your muscle eat the required amount of protein. This can be anywhere from .6 to 1.0 gram per lean body mass.

By reducing your carbs and increasing fat and protein you will lose fat NOT muscle! Probably be a good idea for some of you guys to read a book or two before you start posting!

Whatever you've been reading has been leading you astray because you clearly don't have a clue.

...Or is the problem perhaps that you've been reading too much and never put anything into practice?

If you don't exercise you'll lose muscle on a normal diet as part of the process of aging. If you don't exercise and restrict calories you'll lose it even more quickly.

Eat protein to retain muscle you say - that's absurd in the extreme. That's something that protein manufacturers would have us believe.

Edited by tropo

Whatever you've been reading has been leading you astray because you clearly don't have a clue.

...Or is the problem perhaps that you've been reading too much and never put anything into practice?

If you don't exercise you'll lose muscle on a normal diet as part of the process of aging. If you don't exercise and restrict calories you'll lose it even more quickly.

Eat protein to retain muscle you say - that's absurd in the extreme. That's something that protein manufacturers would have us believe.

I have to agree here, eating protein without exercise will not help you retain muscle. You need to do both, training and eating enough protein.

I have been reading enough books and i have also put it in practice for a long enough time to know what works and what does not. My only downfall is consistency. I think that is the same thing with most people.

Day 3....grumpy last night and could not sleep....but think that was more to do with the <snip> nearby cutting down a huge tree that is/was older than anyone in this valley.

Plus the dog got raped yesterday.

Had to go for a bike ride last night at dinner time....god the food smelt good and the kids were bringing me over bits to eat....I refused.

So far so good....12 days to go.

Edited by metisdead
Digsuised profanity remvoed.