My New Diet...

samsiam

westerners dont cut everything into tiniest pieces, and the food is more starchy (potatoes)...

people had to go to the field and work hard all day - not much falls from the trees there - in rough weather conditions...

some chicken pieces and rice dont do...

a meal had to last long and give much energy...

How did you dream this up? White rice and potatoes - both "starchy" and pretty much identical as far as energy is concerned. It's just a source of carbohydrates, nothing more. They digest about the same speed in fact potatoes can raise the blood sugar faster than rice. The mouth cuts everything into tiny pieces - that's what it is designed for, so it doesn't matter much how small or large you cut the pieces. If you swallow the pieces whole, then you'll just end up with indigestion and you won't be very productive in the field.

Asians can work in the field (rice fields) all day long in the hot tropical sun on "some chicken pieces and rice". I don't think weather conditions come much rougher than hot tropical sun. Most Westerners wouldn't make it through an hour in the same conditions.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White rice expecially Thai white rice is extremely unhealthy (high gi) and clogs the bowel up quickly as well. The bowel will operate much better on brown rice. Further red meat and pork take a long time to transit through the digestive system so these meats will stay in your system longer.

Take some fermented products like good quality yogurt or bifidius supplements and they will assist in maintaining healthy bowel/colon health along with exercise,fruit and vegies etc

White rice expecially Thai white rice is extremely unhealthy (high gi) and clogs the bowel up quickly as well. The bowel will operate much better on brown rice. Further red meat and pork take a long time to transit through the digestive system so these meats will stay in your system longer.

Take some fermented products like good quality yogurt or bifidius supplements and they will assist in maintaining healthy bowel/colon health along with exercise,fruit and vegies etc

I have absolutely no problems clearing red meat. It goes out just as fast as anything else. Kefir is the way to go... it keeps the bowels moving quickly no matter what you feed your face. Never been clogged even once since I started drinking a glass of it everyday.

White rice doesn't clog my wife's bowels. I can't get her on brown rice but I don't believe there's much difference between the two. Check out the nutrient charts - very little difference.

I have absolutely no problems clearing red meat. It goes out just as fast as anything else. Kefir is the way to go... it keeps the bowels moving quickly no matter what you feed your face. Never been clogged even once since I started drinking a glass of it everyday.

White rice doesn't clog my wife's bowels. I can't get her on brown rice but I don't believe there's much difference between the two. Check out the nutrient charts - very little difference.

The transit time for red meat through the system is a lot longer than chicken or fish that is a fact.

There is a world of difference between white rice and brown rice. White rice is akin to eating sugar especially thai white rice which is very high GI. Additionallly brown rice is well known for its beneficial effects for the colon/bowels. Just because you dont think there is much difference doesnt make it so.

Tolley really is correct , it;s the same as saying white bread is just as good as wheat bread ..... it has the same turn to sugar problem as rice. Noodles Rice Bread all have good and poor versions just like juice or meat or anything else you can think of.

The transit time for red meat through the system is a lot longer than chicken or fish that is a fact.

There is a world of difference between white rice and brown rice. White rice is akin to eating sugar especially thai white rice which is very high GI. Additionallly brown rice is well known for its beneficial effects for the colon/bowels. Just because you dont think there is much difference doesnt make it so.

LOL... and conversely, just because you say something doesn't make it so.

As far as GI for white or brown rice is concerned, there is virtually no difference at all. If a diabetic cannot handle white rice he cannot handle brown rice. I could take a reading 1 hour after eating a cup of white rice or brown rice - no difference. Don't take my word for it - get your glucose meter out and check it.

Red meat may take a long time to get through your system, but it doesn't mine. My digestive system works like the carriages of a train running from mouth to anus. Nothing gets held up. In fact I could eat a big steak alone without any veges and I'm hungry again in a couple of hours. I suggest if meat clogs you up you need to consume kefir to improve your gut peristalsis ... and don't forget to chew your food properly and eat slowly.

Tolley really is correct , it;s the same as saying white bread is just as good as wheat bread ..... it has the same turn to sugar problem as rice. Noodles Rice Bread all have good and poor versions just like juice or meat or anything else you can think of.

White bread and brown bread turn to sugar just as quickly. You have a bit more fiber in the brown bread - that's it. They're both not good for you. Apart from that, most brown bread (wheat bread) is made with a big percentage of white flour. Read the labels.

LOL... and conversely, just because you say something doesn't make it so.

As far as GI for white or brown rice is concerned, there is virtually no difference at all. If a diabetic cannot handle white rice he cannot handle brown rice. I could take a reading 1 hour after eating a cup of white rice or brown rice - no difference. Don't take my word for it - get your glucose meter out and check it.

Red meat may take a long time to get through your system, but it doesn't mine. My digestive system works like the carriages of a train running from mouth to anus. Nothing gets held up. In fact I could eat a big steak alone without any veges and I'm hungry again in a couple of hours. I suggest if meat clogs you up you need to consume kefir to improve your gut peristalsis ... and don't forget to chew your food properly and eat slowly.

If you dont believe me take the time to read this:

http://www.healthiertalk.com/8-reasons-why-brown-rice-healthier-white-rice-3617

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better

And this which deals with diabetes and white rice.

Edited by Tolley

http://www.healthier...white-rice-3617

http://diabetes.webm...which-is-better

OK, here comes Google...had to happen sooner or later.

I don't even have to read that. I can just consume a cup of white rice, test, and then consume a cup of brown rice, test.

The results are the same. Why don't you try it instead of supplying links in an effort to find people who agree with you. Do you have a meter?

Point #8 in link number one is just ridiculous... "A slow release sugar". Absurd. It is not a friendly food for diabetics. Most starchy carbs are not friendly diabetic foods and brown rice is one of them.

Results speak louder than words. Do an experiment yourself.

I eat brown rice mainly because it has slightly more nutrients, bit of extra fibre and I like the nutty taste and bite... but, I have to eat a small amount. Why? It's like sugar to the body.

If you want a good carb food that won't spike insulin (in most people), try whole grain oats.

Edited by tropo

http://www.healthier...white-rice-3617

http://diabetes.webm...which-is-better

OK, here comes Google...had to happen sooner or later.

I don't even have to read that. I can just consume a cup of white rice, test, and then consume a cup of brown rice, test.

The results are the same. Why don't you try it instead of supplying links in an effort to find people who agree with you. Do you have a meter?

Point #8 in link number one is just ridiculous... "A slow release sugar". Absurd. It is not a friendly food for diabetics. Most starchy carbs are not friendly diabetic foods and brown rice is one of them.

Results speak louder than words. Do an experiment yourself.

I eat brown rice mainly because it has slightly more nutrients, bit of extra fibre and I like the nutty taste and bite... but, I have to eat a small amount. Why? It's like sugar to the body.

If you want a good carb food that won't spike insulin (in most people), try whole grain oats.

Look the facts are quite clear that if you going to consume rice brown rice wins hands down. I dont know why you want to argue what is common knowledge. And there is a linkage between white rice and type two diabetes.

Yes oats are great and are slow release which keep sugar levels constant.

Look the facts are quite clear that if you going to consume rice brown rice wins hands down. I dont know why you want to argue what is common knowledge. And there is a linkage between white rice and type two diabetes.

Argue with common knowledge? Common old wives tales and myths, that's what they are. Certainly they have got you fooled.

I've already told you that I test after meals. The effect on blood sugar is identical. Results speak for themselves.

Why don't you go on some diabetic forums and talk to real people about this. People who test themselves after every meal.

There was no scientific study proving anything. It was a survey, that's all. There are so very few people who consume brown rice it would be impossible to get any meaningful data to prove your point. Once you've chewed a grain of brown rice in your mouth the starch is immediately released just as it is with white rice.

If you want to continue being pig headed about this, get a meter and you can conduct a test showing your exact response to a cup of brown rice and a cup of white rice. The results will astound you. Then hopefully you'll stop parroting and linking all the myths you've been reading.

Edited by tropo

I have to agree get a meter and test, i got one and tested some things. I saw that even large amounts of oats spike my blood sugar even though its considered to be good for the body. Tomorrow going to test a lower amount of oats combined with protein and flax seed oil in one meal.

The best thing is testing things yourself.

I have to agree get a meter and test, i got one and tested some things. I saw that even large amounts of oats spike my blood sugar even though its considered to be good for the body. Tomorrow going to test a lower amount of oats combined with protein and flax seed oil in one meal.

The best thing is testing things yourself.

Such a simple concept and so easy to do. It takes all the guess work out of it and you don't have to trust anyones' opinions.

I knew I'd end up with a problem when discussing brown rice vs white rice. People just can't understand why the two raise blood sugar so quickly because they believe all the "common knowledge" which is not true. The old GI tables are what started this confusion. You speak to people who test regularly and you'll find out the truth.

Anyone with insulin resistance, pre-diabetes or diabetes needs to take it easy on rice no matter what colour it is.

Argue with common knowledge? Common old wives tales and myths, that's what they are. Certainly they have got you fooled.

I've already told you that I test after meals. The effect on blood sugar is identical. Results speak for themselves.

Why don't you go on some diabetic forums and talk to real people about this. People who test themselves after every meal.

There was no scientific study proving anything. It was a survey, that's all. There are so very few people who consume brown rice it would be impossible to get any meaningful data to prove your point. Once you've chewed a grain of brown rice in your mouth the starch is immediately released just as it is with white rice.

If you want to continue being pig headed about this, get a meter and you can conduct a test showing your exact response to a cup of brown rice and a cup of white rice. The results will astound you. Then hopefully you'll stop parroting and linking all the myths you've been reading.

The original argument which you have successfully hijacked into only being about gi levels after eating rice was the overall benefits of eating brown rice compared to white rice.

Now you find me a bunch of websites that say white rice is more nutritious or better for you than brown rice?

On your only point about GI levels:

White Rice

White rice is the same plant as brown rice, but white rice is actually only the inner part of the rice grain. A milling process removes the indigestible outer hull and the bran, leaving only the starchy white endosperm. Because the milling process removes vitamins from the rice, in the U.S. most white rice has B vitamins added back into it. The glycemic index of white is 44 for converted rice, 56 for long-grain white rice and 72 for short-grain white rice.

Brown Rice

Brown rice is less processed than white rice. The rice grains have the outer hull removed, but the underlying bran and germ layers are left on the grain. The bran layers are what make the rice brown. Brown rice is more nutritious than white rice because the bran contains vitamins, minerals and oils. It also has more fiber than white rice. Brown rice is sometimes called whole-grain rice. The glycemic index of brown rice is 55, putting it about equivalent to long-grain white rice. However, brown rice is a better food than white rice because of the additional fiber and nutrients it contains. Since a larger amount of fiber contributes to fullness, you may eat less and thus have a lower glycemic load from brown rice.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/280554-glycemic-index-of-brown-rice-vs-white-rice/#ixzz1z9dhJBBv

So Thai Jasmine rice would rate around 72GI and Brown Rice 55GI!

So who is being pig headed here?

Edited by Tolley

Thanks, but I don't need Googled explanations of what brown and white rice is. I also have very detailed GI index and load tables, so I didn't need to see the GI indexes of Thai Jasmine rice. Did you not read your added quote: "The glycemic index of brown rice is 55, putting it about equivalent to long-grain white rice".

You have absolutely no understanding about how brown rice affects blood sugar levels. You totally ignored the fact that I test myself after foods and have a very good knowledge about how different food affect my blood sugar levels. I've also spent countless hours on diabetic forums diabetic similar topics.

Do you really think a GI of 72 or 55 would make any difference on blood sugar readings after one hour? Carbohydrate load is the most important factor to consider when consuming starchy carbs, not GI index.

Yes, brown rice is more nutritious than white rice. Hey... that's why I eat it, but still in moderation. If you think brown rice is a slow release sugar then you're misguided. It's spikes blood sugar just as white rice does.

Some real life experience could help you out. You need some practical experience instead of Googling for your answers.

Saying there's a correlation between white rice eaters and diabetes type 2 is clearly ridiculous because it cannot be proven. Let's take some white rice eaters to illustrate my point. Japan - love the whitest of rices. They have the highest life expectancy in the world. Philippines - white rice and much lower life expectancy. It's nothing to do with the rice - it's the overall nutrients in the diet which make the difference. The rice is only a small factor.

Brown rice eaters may well be healthier overall, but the rice is only a very small factor. Brown rice eaters are generally more health conscious and have a better diet overall.

Edited by tropo

Thanks, but I don't need Googled explanations of what brown and white rice is. I also have very detailed GI index and load tables, so I didn't need to see the GI indexes of Thai Jasmine rice. Did you not read your added quote: "The glycemic index of brown rice is 55, putting it about equivalent to long-grain white rice".

You have absolutely no understanding about how brown rice affects blood sugar levels. You totally ignored the fact that I test myself after foods and have a very good knowledge about how different food affect my blood sugar levels. I've also spent countless hours on diabetic forums diabetic similar topics.

Do you really think a GI of 72 or 55 would make any difference on blood sugar readings after one hour? Carbohydrate load is the most important factor to consider when consuming starchy carbs, not GI index.

Yes, brown rice is more nutritious than white rice. Hey... that's why I eat it, but still in moderation. If you think brown rice is a slow release sugar then you're misguided. It's spikes blood sugar just as white rice does.

Some real life experience could help you out. You need some practical experience instead of Googling for your answers.

Saying there's a correlation between white rice eaters and diabetes type 2 is clearly ridiculous because it cannot be proven. Let's take some white rice eaters to illustrate my point. Japan - love the whitest of rices. They have the highest life expectancy in the world. Philippines - white rice and much lower life expectancy. It's nothing to do with the rice - it's the overall nutrients in the diet which make the difference. The rice is only a small factor.

Brown rice eaters may well be healthier overall, but the rice is only a very small factor. Brown rice eaters are generally more health conscious and have a better diet overall.

Now before you have blood pressure problems the fact still remains that brown rice is a far better option that white rice which is what i have maintained all along.

And just testing the single effect of small quantities of rice on blood sugar levels is silly anyway because rice is not eaten alone it is eaten with meat and vegetables.

Edited by Tolley

Now before you have blood pressure problems the fact still remains that brown rice is a far better option that white rice which is what i have maintained all along.

And just testing the single effect of small quantities of rice on blood sugar levels is silly anyway because rice is not eaten alone it is eaten with meat and vegetables.

I appreciate your concern over my blood pressure, but this morning it was 110/65 with a resting heart rate of 53. I've had readings as low as 100/60. I check that daily too....

There's nothing silly about the way I test. I do it in a very controlled manner. For example, I would eat exactly the same meal which consists of the same quantities of chicken, salad and rice. I sometimes eat this meal using white rice but mostly brown rice. The quantities of the rice, chicken and salad are exactly the same for each meal - and weighed out. The results using the two different rices as virtually the same.

What's silly about this? I've been testing my response to foods for 7 years. I'll go through at least a container of testing strips each month. Do you think I would have learned something by now?

I appreciate your concern over my blood pressure, but this morning it was 110/65 with a resting heart rate of 53. I've had readings as low as 100/60. I check that daily too....

There's nothing silly about the way I test. I do it in a very controlled manner. For example, I would eat exactly the same meal which consists of the same quantities of chicken, salad and rice. I sometimes eat this meal using white rice but mostly brown rice. The quantities of the rice, chicken and salad are exactly the same for each meal - and weighed out. The results using the two different rices as virtually the same.

What's silly about this? I've been testing my response to foods for 7 years. I'll go through at least a container of testing strips each month. Do you think I would have learned something by now?

The other point in the article and i think most people who have eaten both types of rice have indicated is that you tend to eat much less brown rice because it is more filling than white rice.

The other point in the article and i think most people who have eaten both types of rice have indicated is that you tend to eat much less brown rice because it is more filling than white rice.

Yes, that is a good point. It's definitely a lot bulkier too. I use 2.5 cups of water to cook a cup of brown rice whereas I only use 1.5 cups of water to cook a cup of white rice.

Isn't blood pressure readings of 100/60 too low? You would be getting dizzy when you get up quickly with those sort of readings?

I went on a vegetarian diet years back and my blood pressure readings where nearly down at that level and i used to get dizzy when i got up quickly.

Garlic is great for regulating low and high blood pressure.

Isn't blood pressure readings of 100/60 too low? You would be getting dizzy when you get up quickly with those sort of readings?

I went on a vegetarian diet years back and my blood pressure readings where nearly down at that level and i used to get dizzy when i got up quickly.

No, that reading is what you'd expect to see in very fit athletes. I got that reading down at the lab. I've been doing a lot of cardio training which has lowered my blood pressure and heart rate. Checking often I notice it does change a lot throughout the day. An hour ago it was 115/65 at heart rate 50. Later on it could be 120/70.

I never experience dizziness or light-headedness.

I forgot to mention, I consume a lot of flaxseed oil, fish oil and whole ground flaxseeds.

Edited by tropo

No, that reading is what you'd expect to see in very fit athletes. I got that reading down at the lab. I've been doing a lot of cardio training which has lowered my blood pressure and heart rate. Checking often I notice it does change a lot throughout the day. An hour ago it was 115/65 at heart rate 50. Later on it could be 120/70.

I never experience dizziness or light-headedness.

I forgot to mention, I consume a lot of flaxseed oil, fish oil and whole ground flaxseeds.

Interesting. When i am really fit my morning pulse is around 42 and now it is about 55 as I am not playing squash but my blood pressure sits standard around 120/80 regardless. I consume fish oil everyday and I also take a lot of garlic. I think the garlic is the thing that regulates the blood pressure. It would be interesting to see if i stopped taking the garlic whether my blood pressure would go up or down.

Interesting. When i am really fit my morning pulse is around 42 and now it is about 55 as I am not playing squash but my blood pressure sits standard around 120/80 regardless. I consume fish oil everyday and I also take a lot of garlic. I think the garlic is the thing that regulates the blood pressure. It would be interesting to see if i stopped taking the garlic whether my blood pressure would go up or down.

When I'm not doing much cardio my blood pressure sits on 120/80. I eat very little garlic.

Do you check it yourself or get it done down at the clinic? It does vary a lot over the day/week. You'll also get an increase in blood pressure just driving/riding down there in the tropical heat compared to doing it in the relaxing home environment. You may find you get lower readings at home.

I use an Omron IWI wrist monitor. They're easy to use and all the arm band meters you buy here are too small for decent size arms. I know it's pretty accurate because I've brought it with me to the lab to compare readings with the traditional arm band meter.

I think this is an important subject because many people go down to the clinic on the odd occasion and judge their blood pressure (and medication) on the back of single, isolated readings, not knowing they can vary a lot.

Edited by tropo

Black beans or lentils, or barley are good too, but not too much.

Yes, I noticed lentils weren't harsh on blood sugar when I tested myself after consuming a bowl of lentil soup. Rice, bread and potatoes are the worst, no matter what colour.

... and don't forget to chew your food properly and eat slowly.

Are you channelling my mother ??

I'm trying to channel common sense, but it's probably an uphill battle.

Here's a better one if you didn't understand your mother: "your stomach has no teeth".

... and yet another one: don't dilute your digestive juices by drinking water while you eat. Take care of thirst before you dine.

Black beans or lentils, or barley are good too, but not too much.

Yes, I noticed lentils weren't harsh on blood sugar when I tested myself after consuming a bowl of lentil soup. Rice, bread and potatoes are the worst, no matter what colour.

Thanks to you i found out that its not only about GI index but more about the amount you take. After testing and changing some things in my diet my levels went down considerably. Before they were in the high normal range. Now they are closer to normal normal.

Thanks to you i found out that its not only about GI index but more about the amount you take. After testing and changing some things in my diet my levels went down considerably. Before they were in the high normal range. Now they are closer to normal normal.

If you keep this up for a couple of months until all your old red blood cells have been replaced I wouldn't be surprised if your HbA1c is near or even in the 4's, meaning your average blood sugar readings are under 100 mg/dl.

As you say, it's the carb load which is most important. I can eat enjoy potatoes, bread and rice while keeping my postprandial blood sugar readings low as long as I keep the serve small. Adding fat and protein to your favourite carbs can lower the absorption rate and eliminate an insulin spike.

Edited by tropo