Suits

awarrumbungle

Sorry possibly ask a question that has been asked before but the search on TV is horrible.

Going to Aus and will buy a few suits before I go. Can anyone offer suggestions as to a good place. Is BKK or Chiang Mai better, will any old shop do, or is it just a case of finding a shop with materials that you like. How do tailors along Khaosan Road fair?

How much should I pay. What is a normal price?

I'm asking so much because I have never bought or worn a suit before. So I'm just a tad new to it all.

Cheers

Most of the "tailors" in BKK know less about making a suit than Ido. The actual tailoring is done by dozens of small shops - each with a specialty...one shop does buttonholes, one shop does zippers, one shop does waitbands - quite the industry. Worse, the material you choose is most likely as counterfeit as the Rolex as the night market. The selvage (the narrow piece of cloth with the fabric content) is incorrect - it might read "90% cashmere, 10% wool" - but it's likely to be 100% polyester. Watch out!

Most of the "tailors" in BKK know less about making a suit than Ido.  The actual tailoring is done by dozens of small shops - each with a specialty...one shop does buttonholes, one shop does zippers, one shop does waitbands - quite the industry.  Worse, the material you choose is most likely as counterfeit as the Rolex as the night market.  The selvage (the narrow piece of cloth with the fabric content) is incorrect - it might read "90% cashmere, 10% wool" - but it's likely to be 100% polyester.  Watch out!

Correct. And we should state also the lack of imagination of thoses "tailors".

I tried (it was a test) the "indian" connection : Narry.com for instance, you can see their advertising on Thai Airways magazine.

Result : flat. Interest none.

You point a special design you would like, they say "yes yes". And actually, they do something else.

They have only ONE design for jacket and trousers... They just play on the margin with sligth modifications. But that's all.

So next step I'm going to try the one on gaisorn plazza (thanks for the info).

Sorry possibly ask a question that has been asked before but the search on TV is horrible.

Going to Aus and will buy a few suits before I go.  Can anyone offer suggestions as to a good place.  Is BKK or Chiang Mai better,  will any old shop do,  or is it just a case of finding a shop with materials that you like.  How do tailors along Khaosan Road fair?

How much should I pay.  What is a normal price?

I'm asking so much because I have never bought or worn a suit before. So I'm just a tad new to it all.

Cheers

Don't know if it is any help to you but Singapore is good for tailors - try Jack's in Far East Plaza for example.

DJ for around 30000 baht, lounge suit much less (maybe half) depending on what materials you choose of course.

:o I have been using the tailor at Sukhumvit Soi 13 for years.Barons no complaints.

Most of the "tailors" in BKK know less about making a suit than Ido.  The actual tailoring is done by dozens of small shops - each with a specialty...one shop does buttonholes, one shop does zippers, one shop does waitbands - quite the industry.  Worse, the material you choose is most likely as counterfeit as the Rolex as the night market.  The selvage (the narrow piece of cloth with the fabric content) is incorrect - it might read "90% cashmere, 10% wool" - but it's likely to be 100% polyester.  Watch out!

Correct. And we should state also the lack of imagination of thoses "tailors".

I tried (it was a test) the "indian" connection : Narry.com for instance, you can see their advertising on Thai Airways magazine.

Result : flat. Interest none.

You point a special design you would like, they say "yes yes". And actually, they do something else.

They have only ONE design for jacket and trousers... They just play on the margin with sligth modifications. But that's all.

So next step I'm going to try the one on gaisorn plazza (thanks for the info).

Going to Aus and will buy a few suits before I go.  Can anyone offer suggestions as to a good place.  Is BKK or Chiang Mai better,  will any old shop do,  or is it just a case of finding a shop with materials that you like.  How do tailors along Khaosan Road fair?

How much should I pay.  What is a normal price?

Cheers

I haven't read other posts.

Tailors in BKK are just plain rubbish.

All they do is to get ur measures and it goes to the same sweat shop hangars in the outskirts.

Unless you are not of a "confection" sizes, if Boss or Siers suits don't fit you, you may try your luck with a "tailor of the year 2007".

Rubbish, avoid it, IMO. The suits they make would also cost 40US$ in the West.

Khaosan Rd. is ok. 3000-5000 baht depending on the material. If you try and barter any lower you will get an inferior product. Ask to look at some of the finished suits in the shop awaiting pick-up to get an idea of the quality of the tailor. Make sure you allow at least 3 days for the suit to be made.

Edited by COBBER

You can get some nice suits made in Bangkok if you know what you are doing.

Finding a decent tailor can be hard, but you can normally get a good recommendation from long term residents such as embassy staff (if you know any). Make sure that you take a sample of the material being used and that you have enough time for multiple fittings. Pay as small a deposit as possible and don't buy the cheapest suit (unless you want crap)

A good tailored suit will be at least as good as most 'name brand suits' that you buy off the rack.

Edited by whatnot

thanks for the conflicting advice guys :o

I think I'll try my luck here....  I'm not a suit snob just yet, and I can't afford to be one either.

Sukhmvit soi 13.. if they are all made by the same people what makes that shop better?

They have their own tailor,I had 2 fittings for my three piece had to wear it for a funeral in the states(not planned).I looked like a million $ compared to the others.They have suits from baht 4000 up.I wouldn't go anywhere else completely satisfied.You asked I told.

thanks for the conflicting advice guys :o

I think I'll try my luck here....  I'm not a suit snob just yet, and I can't afford to be one either.

Sukhmvit soi 13.. if they are all made by the same people what makes that shop better?

They have their own tailor,I had 2 fittings for my three piece had to wear it for a funeral in the states(not planned).I looked like a million $ compared to the others.They have suits from baht 4000 up.I wouldn't go anywhere else completely satisfied.You asked I told.

Don't forget to have your name put inside(gold thread) no extra charge--

In Pattaya: Henry's in Nakluea Road, just opposite Woodlands. Been there since years and no complaints whatsoever.

For the materials: Would be nice having a rough guideline how to tell cashmere from polyester. Does anybody know?

In Pattaya: Henry's in Nakluea Road, just opposite Woodlands. Been there since years and no complaints whatsoever.

For the materials: Would be nice having a rough guideline how to tell cashmere from polyester. Does anybody know?

Hmm what about Rajawongse? of Rajawongse Heard it should be good by some people working at the US embassy. Just want to make a nice Overcoat. I found a list of prices at another site and Italian Cashmere should be about 300 $ and Thai cashmere blend about 200$. But how to spot the difference? :o Or is another Tailor better for Overcoats?

Hmm what about Rajawongse? of Rajawongse I found a list of prices at another site and Italian Cashmere should be about 300 $ and Thai cashmere blend about 200$. But how to spot the difference? :o Or is another Tailor better for Overcoats?

Ask for a swatch of the fabric that they are going to use for your suit and take it into a fabric dealer and ask them to tell you what it is. Then make sure that you specify that your suit must be made of that material. This has always worked for me.

The tailors disposition will normally change a bit once they know you aren't an easy mark, particularly if they think you may become a regular customer. Raja on Soi Nana is good, i think i read somewhere that Rajawonse was his brother's store- but I could be wrong on that.

If you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter, you should by polyester...

(or try your lighter on a thread)

I have used Rajas on Sukhumvit soi 4.

They are VERY popular with expats, especially the American embassy crowd. No touts, little bargaining and no bullsh*t. They have a reputation around town to protect and arent in the business of stuffing you around or being stuffed around. They are busy so be prepared to sit, have a beer and wait.

I paid 10,000baht for what I consider a very nice wool suit. Also used them for work shirts and other stuff.

Go up soi 4 and it's on the corner of Nana Plaza opposite some beer bar.

If you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter, you should by polyester...

(or try your lighter on a thread)

:D

I know the difference between wool cashmere and polyester. My problem would be telling the difference between Thai Cashmere Blend and Italian Cashmere. :o

It is at least 100 Bucks so there should be one.