Putin wins third term as Russia's president

News_Editor

Putin wins third term as Russia's president

2012-03-05 08:15:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW, Russia (BNO NEWS) -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin claimed victory after receiving nearly 65 percent of the votes during the presidential election on Sunday, according to preliminary election results. The opposition claims the results were rigged in Putin's favor.

According to data from Russia's Central Election Commission, approximately 63.3 percent of registered voters participated in Sunday's presidential election. But even before the election was held, Putin's return to the Kremlin was all but certain although he suffered a nearly 7 percent loss when compared to his previous victory in 2004.

As of 4 a.m. local time on Monday, with 87.73 percent of the votes counted, results from the Central Election Commission put Putin far ahead with approximately 64.72 percent of the vote. He is followed by Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov and self-nominee businessman Mikhail Prokhorov who won 17.04 and 7.09 percent respectively.

"We won! We have won in an open and fair fight," Putin said as he addressed more than 100,000 supporters in Moscow. "This was more than a presidential election. This was a very important test for us all, for all of our people. This was a test to see whether we are politically mature and independent enough. And we have shown that, indeed, no one can impose anything on us."

Putin first became acting president in December 1999 until he was elected for his first full term which began in May 2000. He won re-election in March 2004 and continued to serve in the country's highest office until May 2008 when term limits prevented him from running for a third consecutive presidential term.

Unable to run for a third consecutive presidential term, Putin chose Dmitry Medvedev to run for president, guarding his place at the Kremlin until the next election. Days before the end of Putin's second term as president, he undertook a series of controversial steps to increase the power of the prime minister, a position he occupied under Medvedev's presidency.

But although the plan was widely known, Putin and Medvedev never publicly acknowledged it until September 2011 when Putin declared his candidacy for a third term as president. "What we are proposing to the congress is a deeply thought-through decision," Medvedev told supporters, referring to a plan which will see Putin become president and Medvedev prime minister. "And even more, we already discussed this scenario back when we first formed a friendly alliance."

Although international observers have not yet commented on the vote, opposition leaders have already rejected Sunday's election results, alleging widespread fraud and promising mass protests which are due to begin on Monday. Zyuganov described the election as "illegitimate, unfair and non-transparent."

But Russian authorities have rejected the fraud allegations and promised to investigate complaints. At a polling station in Dagestan, several people were filmed by a webcam as they cast numerous ballots. The footage quickly spread online, forcing the Central Election Commission to annul the station's results.

But despite the allegations of widespread fraud, Putin remains fairly popular as conditions in Russia have improved since Putin's first presidency. The average monthly wage has increased by ten times, life expectancy has increased for males, and the murder rate has fallen by nearly 45 percent.

Nonetheless, hundreds of thousands of Russians have participated in rallies across the country to demand free elections. Tens of thousands of protesters gathered in downtown Moscow last month to express their opposition to Putin's return to the Kremlin. A crowd, estimated at approximately 120,000 by organizers but given as a little over 35,000 by police, chanted "Russia without Putin!"

Rallies also took place in about 30 other Russian cities, but the total number of protesters was uncertain as police figures were believed to be false. Police estimated that 5,000 people rallied against Putin in St. Petersburg, but local organizers said the actual number was more than 20,000.

Huge demonstrations also took place across Russia in December after parliamentary elections which many Russian voters and international observers said were marred by large-scale fraud. The Putin's United Russia party won more votes than any of the other three parties, but it still suffered a significant drop from the two-thirds constitutional majority it has enjoyed for the past four years.

Some of the demonstrations in December were the largest since the fall of the Soviet Union.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-05

Like Thaksin, Puthin is unbeatable.

The evil clones - Burlesconi, Putin and Thaksin; a real axis of evil.

That certainly dilutes the meaning of evil.

Wikepedia definition:

"Evil is the violation of, or intent to violate, some moral code. Evil is usually seen as the dualistic opposite of The Good. Definitions of evil vary, as does the analysis of its root motives and causes; however, evil is commonly associated with conscious and deliberate wrongdoing, discrimination designed to harm others, humiliation of people designed to diminish their psychological well-being and dignity, destructiveness, motives of causing "unnecessary" pain or suffering and acts of unnecessary or indiscriminate violence"

I think these maggots qualify...

Edited by ParadiseLost

The evil clones - Burlesconi, Putin and Thaksin; a real axis of evil.

That certainly dilutes the meaning of evil.

Wikepedia definition:

"Evil is the violation of, or intent to violate, some moral code. Evil is usually seen as the dualistic opposite of The Good. Definitions of evil vary, as does the analysis of its root motives and causes; however, evil is commonly associated with conscious and deliberate wrongdoing, discrimination designed to harm others, humiliation of people designed to diminish their psychological well-being and dignity, destructiveness, motives of causing "unnecessary" pain or suffering and acts of unnecessary or indiscriminate violence"

I think these maggots qualify...

Wikipedia IS NOT a dictionary. That definition above is ridiculous. " evil is commonly associated with conscious and deliberate wrongdoing" - That describes more than half the human race. rolleyes.gif

At least use a proper dictionary for your definition.

Putin is on a whole different level than Thaksin or Berlusconi and to say they are the same is the same as saying that just looking at a woman is the same as rape.

Edited by koheesti

Putin gets 2/3rds of the popular vote and Thaksin can't even get half. Both are corrupt, brutal authoritarians who have a long history of dodgy activities, but Putin is much better and more successful at it. It's amused me for a while now how Robert Amsterdam is paid to propagandize against one, and for the other.

Wikipedia IS NOT a dictionary. That definition above is ridiculous. " evil is commonly associated with conscious and deliberate wrongdoing" - That describes more than half the human race. rolleyes.gif

At least use a proper dictionary for your definition.

Putin is on a whole different level than Thaksin or Berlusconi and to say they are the same is the same as saying that just looking at a woman is the same as rape.

Wow, I certainly jerked your chain passifier.gif

Where did I say 'THE definition of evil'? I clearly stated "Wikepedia definition..." Wikepedia is a very reliable source as it is based on consensus of everyone who cares. If you don't like it then change it - don't spit the dummy out at me.

Obviously you think highly of one or more of these cretins - I wonder which... Personally I think they all belong in the same despicable category and last time I checked I am quite entitled to my opinion - just as you are.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Well, there was little doubt that he'd win. Putin is a strong leader, and every country needs one. He did quite a bit for his country and its people, and of course just like any leader he has an apposition who's trying to bring him down.

But... shutting down free media did freak the people out, and that's not something anyone wants to put up with. People must have a choice and free speech, otherwise it'll turn into a prison state.

Obviously you think highly of one or more of these cretins - I wonder which... Personally I think they all belong in the same despicable category and last time I checked I am quite entitled to my opinion - just as you are.

No, I think more lowly of one of them - Putin. Any opinion that puts Putin in the same "evil" category as Berlusconi is definitely an uninformed one. As for Thaksin - he got chased out of the country. If he were "evil" like Putin, he would still be in power.

Let's see...Putin is ex-KGB. Thaksin in a telecom billionaire. Berlusconi has a media empire. Hmmmm, you wouldn't happen to be one of those Occupy! people, would you?

No, I think more lowly of one of them - Putin. Any opinion that puts Putin in the same "evil" category as Berlusconi is definitely an uninformed one. As for Thaksin - he got chased out of the country. If he were "evil" like Putin, he would still be in power.

Let's see...Putin is ex-KGB. Thaksin in a telecom billionaire. Berlusconi has a media empire. Hmmmm, you wouldn't happen to be one of those Occupy! people, would you?

You're right, it's easy to put them all in the same basket but they couldn't be more different. Putin is the only one actually trying to move the country forward, despite doing it in a despicable way.

It's more about how Thaksin and Berlusconi acquired their wealth than the fact they are wealthy. How they manipulated their own courts and legal systems in their own favour. Both have been linked to organized crime figures, ex-judicial murders and many many accusations that they have managed to weasel their way out of. Thaksin has been found guilty but still he is trying to use his wealth and family ties to manipulate the government into bringing him back.

I know how much you love Wikepedia so I provide you with this link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_and_allegations_involving_Silvio_Berlusconi

I don't need to provide a link for Thaksin as it is all right here on TV anyway.

I don't give a sh1t about any of this; my initial post was a light hearted concealed dig at Thaksin and his supporters - seems I found one who is now making it his personal agenda to make me 'take it back' as most children say passifier.gifgiggle.gif

How you can defend any one of these EVIL scum I will never understand... Dirt is dirt - who cares which is more or less dirty?

How you can defend any one of these EVIL scum I will never understand... Dirt is dirt - who cares which is more or less dirty?

I don't remember defending anyone. I do know that you throw the word "evil" around too freely and make weak links between various leaders that just don't hold up. Next thing you'll be claiming they are all worse than Hitler! :)

I don't remember defending anyone. I do know that you throw the word "evil" around too freely and make weak links between various leaders that just don't hold up. Next thing you'll be claiming they are all worse than Hitler! smile.png

I find it amusing and just a little weird that it is so important to you to claim the definition of evil as your own. Is it perhaps that you are Catholic and as is their wont, to qualify as evil it has to involve the devil, or witchcraft and to disagree gets you burnt at the stake?

Again, in my opinion I think they are all evil, despicable, morally corrupt fiends.

Why would I ever say they are worse than Hitler, Mussolini or Stalin - the 1930's equivalent who were just as power mad and despotic? They are not dissimilar in their desires; only the times they lived in made it easier to use the means they chose. Today the limitations put in place by international law, media coverage and people being more aware of their rights forces such 'leaders' to be far more subtle in their oppression, corruption and nefarious deeds against their own people.

That doesn't make them less evil in my eyes.