Belgian Beer

Wolf

Suppose you all know the feeling...... missing some odd things from your own country. Could be anything: friends & family, food, shops, weather - you name it. Don´t get me wrong - I love being in Thailand. But every now and then I feel completely fed up with the beer up here and start to feel this ´burning desire´ for some real beer - Belgian Beer in my case. Is anyone familiar with names such as ´Duvel´, ´Leffe´, or anything similar? You know, the ones with an alcohol percentage of 8% and up. And does anyone know where to get it in Bangkok? I´d be eternally grateful - even longer - to anybody who could help me out! Jean

The good news is that there is a place in Bangers which sells a good selection of Belgian beer.

The bad news is that I have lost the address.

It was mentioned in one of Trink's columns in 2003, but the Bangkok Post has put the archives off limits now.

Maybe if Mrentoul reads this he will take pity on you and look it up for you.

I believe the place called Khun Kho's, owned by a Dutchman and his Thai companion, has a some Belgian beers. It's on Soi Suwansawat, off of Rama IV Road (not far from Lumpinee Tower). A very pleasant place, by the way, with good Thai food and a few Dutch selections.

Many thanks to PvtDick for the excellent suggestion of Khun Kho's restaurant. I had dinner there this evening, and am still pleasantly tipsy after sampling two of their Belgian beers, along with some well-prepared catfish salad. I'm not well-acquainted with Belgian beer, but the first sip of Maredsous told me that this was definitely not Beer Chang. Chang I chug, Maredsous I sipped and savored. I also tried a bottle of Tongerlo, equally good. They also have Ename, Goliath and Floris Gaarden, all priced at 150 baht a bottle. I'll be back soon.

• 2 years later...
Suppose you all know the feeling...... missing some odd things from your own country. Could be anything: friends & family, food, shops, weather - you name it. Don´t get me wrong - I love being in Thailand. But every now and then I feel completely fed up with the beer up here and start to feel this ´burning desire´ for some real beer - Belgian Beer in my case. Is anyone familiar with names such as ´Duvel´, ´Leffe´, or anything similar? You know, the ones with an alcohol percentage of 8% and up. And does anyone know where to get it in Bangkok? I´d be eternally grateful - even longer - to anybody who could help me out! Jean

You can in find at Carrefour Ratchada many types leff ,Duvel etc etc you can phone the importer too 027117059 or [email protected] I bought a lot already [email protected]

This is an old thread but funny coincidence a friend has just returned from Belgium and gave me 4 bottles of Chimay (blue label) of which 2 bottles I drank last night ... very, very nice indeed ! :o

I'm sure it was great to drink the fresh stuff right from the source. They sell that brand at Villa for an outrageous sum and it is stale product to boot. Stay away from all imports sold in Thailand as they are 90% expired product. The only fresh stuff I've found is the cooper aussie product, forget the rest as they would be pulled from shelves in other countries

This is an old thread but funny coincidence a friend has just returned from Belgium and gave me 4 bottles of Chimay (blue label) of which 2 bottles I drank last night ... very, very nice indeed ! :D

I'm sure it was great to drink the fresh stuff right from the source. They sell that brand at Villa for an outrageous sum and it is stale product to boot. Stay away from all imports sold in Thailand as they are 90% expired product. The only fresh stuff I've found is the cooper aussie product, forget the rest as they would be pulled from shelves in other countries

They were lovely Bob and Ive still got 2 bottles left ... saving them for this weekends footie ... Interesting ... the Villa Chimays used to be expensive anyway but they wacked the prices up by a third about a year and a half ago so its only whatever friends can bring me from Europe now :o

I feel so sorry for you! :D

Not sure about BKK, but in Seoul, my favorite establishment has Leffe Braun, Hoegaarden, Artois Stella, and, Duvel. :o

Many thanks to PvtDick for the excellent suggestion of Khun Kho's restaurant. I had dinner there this evening, and am still pleasantly tipsy after sampling two of their Belgian beers, along with some well-prepared catfish salad. I'm not well-acquainted with Belgian beer, but the first sip of Maredsous told me that this was definitely not Beer Chang. Chang I chug, Maredsous I sipped and savored. I also tried a bottle of Tongerlo, equally good. They also have Ename, Goliath and Floris Gaarden, all priced at 150 baht a bottle. I'll be back soon.

Those beers sure sound tasty, but 150 baht (i assume small bottles) is pricey. Leo for me. Large bottles with a very drunk inducing conducive price. :o

I believe there is a wine shop on the corner of Soi 3 and Sukhumvit Road that may have some Belgian beer. About 6 months ago I noticed they had Hoegarden and I think Leffe also. This is a branch of a larger wine store that is tucked into an alley off Convent Road. If anyone finds a bar or pub where they have this stuff on tap or in the bottle I'd be interested.

Cactus bar in Soi Cowboy has a selection of 6-8 for about 150bt a bottle (not bad given local beers are about 110). If you ask nicely, or just buy him a drink, the owner should be able to put you in contact with the importer if you want to purchase in bulk.