Air Conditioners - Easy To Remove?

weka

We're renting a house till August when hopefully we will buy one.

Problem is, it's very hot in the living room currently

Is it feasible to buy our own AC unit, install it (with landlords approval) and then remove it when the lease is up and install again in the new house?

I confess to not knowing much about the practicalities of such a manoeuvre

The area where we could put it had an AC unit there (screw holes, electric wire and switch, and hole going to outside for the tubing) previously.

Landlord won't buy one for the house.

Is it worth doing? It's going to be too hot over the few months.

Asking an AC dealer the same question will indoubtedly result in a "yes sure, no problem" as they push for the sale

Any help much appreciated

Go to a proper aircon shop and buy a unit that eventually will end up and fits in your new home.

Doesn't have to fit (BTU wise) in your rental home.

Explain to the shop that they install now, de-install and re-install later this year.

You could also think of a mobile unit, but they're not as efficient as a mounted unit.

Installation is often included in prices. I believe we paid 300b per unit to move them elsewhere which seemed very fair for 3 guys doing something in a few hours that would take me forever.

I doubt a landlord would have a problem as its a pretty common upgrade for renters.

Edited by ubonrthai

or you could try buying a few cheap Hatari floor fans to use in your living room before you move to your new house...it's amazing what a few well placed fans can do...I got AC in the bedroom upstairs in our shophouse for sleeping but floor fans downstairs in my 'study' for daily use and works a treat...check it out and live in yer underwear for proper evaporative cooling..

We have had 4 AC units moved in Bangkok with no problems. The guys take everything down, fill the holes in the wall, clean everything and then refit in the new location with new wiring, gas pipes etc. as required. Typically it takes them all day to do 2 units. It shouldn't be a problem for any of your local AC guys to do this.