Buying A Condo.

You can spend anywhere from virtually zero up to $400+ an hour for the senior partners in major corporate law firms in BKK. Really depends on how complex the purchase is and how much is the condo - if its a 2,000,000 baht condo, not always so wise using the services of a top flight law firm as their fee's may be around 300,000 baht. However if its a 30,000,000 baht condo - the law fees pale into insignifigance.

As an indication, a strong corporate lawyer such as Deacons charges anywhere around US$100 hour for junior associattes up to the $400 for the big partners. Benefit is that many of the big partners are westerners and so its easy to get along, they are fast and responsive but your paying a lot of money for that kind of service and there fee's are strictly by the hour, not per job.

Edited by Digger

Thank you for the response Digger.

I'm looking to buy at the lower end of the market, so it's not worth me getting a top flight law firm on the job. Any info on who may be good to contact for dealing with a condo valued at around 1 million on the outskirts of the city.

Many thanks.

Diglat

I want to buy a condo in Bangkok. Can anybody advise me on a good lawyer. And how much the services of a law firm is going to cost me. Thanks diglat.

Transferring property is relatively simple you just go along to the land registry office, and it gets signed over to buyer and buyer hands over cheque and walks out the door with the Chanute (deeds) in his name, you can sign a power of attorney and not even go along, the real estate agent can handle it, if I sell a condo going to the land office is part of what they have to do for their 3%. This is normal practice. Even if you do not buy from the real estate agent, if you go into a firm of good repute they should handle it for you for qround 10,000 bht plus disbursements. Just walk into a few and ask around and get a feel for it.

The point is if you pick a wrong un and they try and rip you what chance do you stand anyway? Probably cost you the price of the condo in legal fees, I think it unlikely a bona fide estate agency is going to do this ( any more than a lawyer?).

Edited by spacebass

I can't claim to know a lot about it but I didn't have a lawyer. I was told by good authority that the land office checks everything out and if there are any problems you won't get the chanote. No chanote so no money changes hands. The Thai I bought mine from had a mortgage on it so I had to have two bank checks. One for the bank and one for the Thai's equity in he condo. When the chanote was in my name and in my hand I gave the checks to the banker and the seller. It went very smoothly.

Gary,

My experience was similar...I purchased a condo from a gent living in Tibet. He listed with a top real estate company (CBRE). The seller hired a lawyer, and I did not. The negotiated sales price included the seller paying all fees and taxes. Except for spending most of the day in the land office, the transfer was a piece of cake.

I want to buy a condo in Bangkok. Can anybody advise me on a good lawyer. And how much the services of a law firm is going to cost me. Thanks diglat.

I'm currently dealing with Somphob Law & Associates (Bangkok) and they have been great. Very responsive, and will give you an instant quote. They came highly recommended to me. You can find them on google - I don't want to be accused of advertising. For a land purchase I was quoted THB 60K.