Whats The Easiest Way For A Farang To Get A Driving License In Bangkok

corkman

Dear All,

I have a full Irish driving license, together with an AA interanational license. Both are still valid.

What is te easiest way for me to get a Thai license here in Bangkok? Where do I go, how long does it take, what do I need to do, do I need a medical or eye test? Do I need to book a test, or do I just walk in?

Many thanks for your help.

I went near the Mo Chit BTS station, to the south and on the east side of the road. Took USA license valid for car and motorcycle, residence certificate from embassy, medical certificate, and copies of visa page. Took a color blind test, reaction test, and that was it. Even with their computer problems, out in less than 2 hours with both licenses.

Good information in this thread. http://www.thaivisa....iving-licences/

Edited by beechguy

Can I use an Irish driving licence to drive a hire car in Thailand ?

Also what would be my options if my gf got me a friends car over there. Can I drive it and what is the insurance options

Thanks

Also what would be my options if my gf got me a friends car over there. Can I drive it and what is the insurance options

Thanks

You should go to the AA and get an international license before you come to Thailand. Its like €5-10 or something, and takes 2 mins.

Friends car - generally it is te vehicle that is insured in Thailand, not the driver - so there should be no problem with that. Just check what level of insurance is on the car. If its a cheap and nasty policy and you have a bump, then you could be liable for a hefty sum of money. Policies have maximum claim limits - can be as low as a few hundred thousand Baht. So if you ran into a Merc for example and total damage came to 1 million baht + medical bills then you could be in trouble. Renting from a reputable car hire company like Hertz or Budget, and getting the super saver waiver insurance package is, to be honest, well worth it. It makes me shudder to think back at the many years I spent as a tourist getting the cheapest rental possible; as a tourist you really are far more likely to be involved in an accident than a loca, and if you are involved the BIB are only too happy to load the blame on you.

All,

Are the queues insane at the Chatuchak office? What time do they open, and what time should I get there?

Thanks

If you are going for a residence certificate, that may not be necessary, they may accept your WP as proof of adddress.

Thanks

You should go to the AA and get an international license before you come to Thailand. Its like €5-10 or something, and takes 2 mins.

Friends car - generally it is te vehicle that is insured in Thailand, not the driver - so there should be no problem with that. Just check what level of insurance is on the car. If its a cheap and nasty policy and you have a bump, then you could be liable for a hefty sum of money. Policies have maximum claim limits - can be as low as a few hundred thousand Baht. So if you ran into a Merc for example and total damage came to 1 million baht + medical bills then you could be in trouble. Renting from a reputable car hire company like Hertz or Budget, and getting the super saver waiver insurance package is, to be honest, well worth it. It makes me shudder to think back at the many years I spent as a tourist getting the cheapest rental possible; as a tourist you really are far more likely to be involved in an accident than a loca, and if you are involved the BIB are only too happy to load the blame on you.

Thanks for the info mate much appreciated. Never heard about an international licence let alone the AA doing one. Do u have to be insured with AA to get it ?

Thanks

Thanks for the info mate much appreciated. Never heard about an international licence let alone the AA doing one. Do u have to be insured with AA to get it ?

No, just stroll in - all you need it photos and your own license..... google it or give 'em a call. easy-peezy, takes 10 mins.

All,

Are the queues insane at the Chatuchak office? What time do they open, and what time should I get there?

Thanks

Get there between 8:30 am and noon. If you get there early, you'll be out early. 20-40 minutes is the general queueing time.

They'll take the picture for you.

Thanks

No, just stroll in - all you need it photos and your own license..... google it or give 'em a call. easy-peezy, takes 10 mins.

Thanks mate

I asked the same question on 3 forums and your the only one to give me an answer.

Much appreciated.

Now if I can just sort out how to get my GF to Ireland I will be a happy man

OK - It's done. Took about 1.5 hours in total.

I got there at 8. Registered and went through the process. They speak English and as long as you have all the documents ready then its pretty fool proof. I was number 105 in the queue. I was out for 9.30am. Painless, efficient, and easy.

Documents that I brought with me (originals and 1 copy) wer:

• passport
  • work permit
  • driving license and international driving permit
  • medical certificate

I had photo's but didn't need them.

Proceedure (at Department of Land Transportation in Jatujak):

• Enter building, go to 2nd floor & register at 'information' desk, then go to counter 17/18.
  • Next up to the 3rd floor for physical testing. Register at the 'information' desk. The queue is long (100+ people) but moved very quickly (less than 10 mins).
  • Then back down to 2nd floor, register at 'information' desk and then back to counter 17/18. Pay the fee. Get the photo taken. License is issued there and then, on the spot.

Tip. It's a big building, easy to find once you've found it sort of thing, once in the general Jatujak area (MRT Jatujak park) it is useful to know the phrase "pai khrap-kee". My phonetics are are great, but basically it means "driving license". Splutter the words and anyone will point you in the right direction smile.png

Edited by corkman