Thailand To Offer Compensation For Slain Japanese Cameraman Muramoto

webfact

Thailand to offer compensation for slain Japanese

BANGKOK, March 6, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand will offer $250,000 in compensation to the family of a Japanese cameraman shot dead during a crackdown on protests in Bangkok two years ago, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Tuesday.

Yingluck told reporters before leaving on an official visit to Japan that her government would send a letter of condolence to the family of Hiroyuki Muramoto, a Reuters cameraman.

"The letter is issued on behalf of the Thai prime minister to Hiroyuki's family and to inform them of the compensation they are entitled to receive like others," Yingluck told reporters.

"I will not have enough time to meet with his family due to my busy itinerary," she said when asked if she would personally see the late journalist's relatives.

Last month Yingluck's government approved a 2.0 billion baht ($65 million) budget to compensate for all deaths and injuries sustained during a string of violent rival political protests since 2005.

Yingluck's government, which took power last year, has said there is clear evidence that soldiers were responsible for the death of Muramoto during the April-May 2010 "Red Shirt" demonstrations.

The Red Shirts are broadly loyal to Thailand's fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who is Yingluck's older brother.

More than 90 people, mostly civilians, were killed and nearly 1,900 were wounded during the 2010 Red Shirt rallies, which ended in a bloody military crackdown under the previous premier, Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Yingluck is scheduled to visit Japan from late Tuesday until Sunday in an attempt to win back the confidence of Japanese manufacturers hit by the kingdom's worst floods in decades last year.

"I'm convinced that the government will be able to regain Japanese investor confidence because I will explain to every group, and I do hope that they will not relocate or withdraw investment from Thailand," she said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-03-06

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both k. Kasit and k. Abhsit already offered condolences (2010-04-10 and 2010-08-23 respectively). no idea if compensation has/had been offered. The sister of Fabio Polenghi turned down the financial compensation demanding 'the truth' instead.

The Japanese government had this to say when the MoFA visited in August 2010

http://www.mofa.go.j...okada_1008.html

I wonder how the family of Mr. Muramoto will feel about new condolences and a financial compensation. Anyway I hope this topic will be spared a rehash on riots, deaths, bullets and speculation. The last 'real' news came from Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm a few months ago and that was not really new. That time (Sept/Oct 2011?) he probably promised to come will interesting new details very soon now. Let's wait for that, please

Edited by rubl

"I will not have enough time to meet with his family due to my busy itinerary," she said when asked if she would personally see the late journalist's relatives.

Of course not. She'll not be in the house, but in a few hotels advising the Japs about land they need to buy from her brother! giggle.gif

-mel.

Wow, a whole $8000 and some change.

How about they just own up to it and admit the army murdered him? Oh yes... then they would lose face. Never mind.

Where dose it say $8000 try having a re read

I stand corrected. I thought is was 250,000 baht.

The whole thing looks like another PR stunt from the Thaksin camp to me. It's great, though, that they fork out some money considering that the red shirts are to blame for the escalations in the first place!

• Like 1

"offer of compensation to Mr. Murimoto is about same as detailed for Thai victims"

that's good to hear. nice and fair.

better than offering compensation to foreigners and nothing to their own people don't ye think?

The timing of renewed condolences and the reminder of being entitled to the same compensation as local victims seems a bit suspect. Mind you Japan is an important foreign investor and after the flooding well done needs to be kept in the right mood.

Still I'm not sure how the MoFA in Japan will react. The Japanese government is not really well known for 'freely' offering condolences, apologies and compensation. Others doing this may be deemed to set a bad example dry.png

Edited by rubl

I would settle for 'offer compensation for anyone on location that wasn't engaged in any crime'.

Occupying a street/business area is.

what is the difference between being on location and committing the crime of occupying a street/business area?

i'm not talking about people who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't know what was going on... obviously!!

are you suggesting that a foreigner with a camera has the right to occupy an area that a thai doesn't.. in thailand?

Wow, a whole $8000 and some change.

How about they just own up to it and admit the army murdered him? Oh yes... then they would lose face. Never mind.

Please show the evidence you have that the army killed him

If I remember right bullets flew both ways

Or do you have an informant that we do not know about

\

Do journalists have any responsibility when they enter a war zone?....when I walk on a lake with thin ice I may end up in some icy water....

RL

Do journalists have any responsibility when they enter a war zone?....when I walk on a lake with thin ice I may end up in some icy water....

RL

In the real world a reporter who enters a war zone does so at hie/ hers own risk

But in thailand they do not want to dig to deep as their are red shirt stories that better be kept under cover, or maybe even from the army, I have an open mind and know bullets flew both ways

But it seems that the new Government want to buy closer to unanswered questions

Edited by ozzieman05

No red shirt should be compensated. They were acting on Mr T's orders, and created the situation.

I think you need to re look at the situation

Yes Thaskin Started it all

And Thaskin is paying them now

Oh sorry yes forgot to say that once Thaskins mob took over all the Thai treasury belongs to Thaskin for his distribution

I presume there's a reason the Japanese guys life is worth more than a Thai life, right?

This is what - 30% above the compensation being discussed for the Thai victims of the red-shirt camp break up?

I would settle for 'offer compensation for anyone on location that wasn't engaged in any crime'.

Occupying a street/business area is.

Actually no it's not.

As to committing crimes there is prima facie evidence senior army figures have done just this - but because this is Thailand they will never be brought to book.

Is there no end to the mean spiritedness of some?

A (partial) repeat of my post #3:

Anyway I hope this topic will be spared a rehash on riots, deaths, bullets and speculation. The last 'real' news came from Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm a few months ago and that was not really new. That time (Sept/Oct 2011?) he probably promised to come will interesting new details very soon now. Let's wait for that, please

His death is a terrible thing. Just like anybody else's. However, he knew the risks, he willingly put himself within range of danger in order to get the 'ultimate story', like so many journalists do. And instead he ended up paying the ultimate price. I have personnally seen war correspondants in other parts of the world put themselves in some seriously dangerous situations for the ' ultimate story' and believe me when I say, it is a scary thing to watch. Cowboys would be a good word to discribe some of them.

Accusations that the Army " murdered " this guy or deliberatley targeted him have not been proved. Nor do I think they can be proved as I believe that was not the case.' Killed in the line of duty' would be more the appropriate.