Nationwide Alcohol Ban For Makabucha Day: Thailand

webfact

Was in Fuji Phuket the other day and aparently the can't buy alcohol with your meal after 2pm and before 5 had been scrapped. Maybe not because in Bangkok you still cannot. It's a miracle if you ever know what is happening from day to day.

I remember last Easter at the Chokchai Steakhouse at Pak Chong they wouldn't sell wine with a mean after 1400 (2pm). Drove me mad and I'll never go there again.

Anybody else know about the 1400 no alcohol rule?

Still applies in 7/11, Big C and Makro (unless, of course, you buy TEN litres - have never quite worked that one out).

They probably feel sorry for real alcoholics.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So silly and what a waste of police tiem with so much real crime still to solve. Prohibition NEVER works hasn't history shown us that. If your religion says you should not drink and it is important to you then simply do not drink but why involve others who do nto follow you faith in such rulings. Hardly freedom or logical or sensible/ Oh well I suppose TIT.

It's guilt and face-saving. Strictly speaking, Buddhists are supposed never to drink, but Thais love to drink, so the Thai authorities attempt to prove that Thailand is properly Buddhist by banning alcohol sales on holy days. It's the most they can ever do. Please god -- who doesn't exist, but you know what I mean.

The responsible drinkers and the drunks can adopt the same strategies: stop drinking for one day (OMG), stock up in advance, go somewhere that ignores the law and have a drink there. Some locales have been suggested. Surely, this a minor inconvenience, no more. No-one is gonna die! ;-)

However, is there a smoking ban tomorrow? A yabba-dabba-doo smoking ban, where people do die as a result of psychotic states?

Yabbah ban? Would that be a minor inconvenience in Ubon or Udon, to name but a few?

Can the responsible smokers stop for a day, and yet cigarettes will be for re-sale tomorrow?

Isn't it ALL relative?

-mel.

Nicotine is a hard drug, I don't know any casual smokers. There may be some, but most people I know would leave their office or the restaurant to have a cigarette. This is not only inconvenient for them, but often impolite to company, unless their company smokes too.

Most people I know (again, with exceptions) are casual drinkers. A wine with the dinner, or a beer after dinner, why not. No wine/beer today (there are some "family restaurants" that don't serve alcohol, I always ask whether they forget that the father is part of the family), no problem.

That's not the issue here. The issue is that a religious rule is imposed on all people currently in the country, regardless of their religion. And this is in a country that considers itself secular.

IMHO a religious rules should be for the followers of that religion to decide whether or not they want to obey. In a secular country, it has absolutely nothing to do with people who follow other religions.

And I am a Buddhist, by the way.

In your case it may just be the people you mix with but it's nonsense to say there are no casual smokers. That's like saying everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. I like a smoke in the same way I like a drink.... but I'm not addicted to either.

Jeremiah found the right words for the Makabucha Day:

And thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Drink, and be drunken, and vomit, and fall, and rise no more, because of the sword that I will send among you. (chapter 25,27)

So silly and what a waste of police tiem with so much real crime still to solve. Prohibition NEVER works hasn't history shown us that. If your religion says you should not drink and it is important to you then simply do not drink but why involve others who do nto follow you faith in such rulings. Hardly freedom or logical or sensible/ Oh well I suppose TIT.

It's guilt and face-saving. Strictly speaking, Buddhists are supposed never to drink, but Thais love to drink, so the Thai authorities attempt to prove that Thailand is properly Buddhist by banning alcohol sales on holy days. It's the most they can ever do. Please god -- who doesn't exist, but you know what I mean.

Not being funny but Thai monks are not generally 'careerists'. In many religions a cleric is for life.

In Thailand it seems to be an honourable thing to don the saffron robes - often prompted by the wishes of the family (Mama).

The fact that Somchai junior may have been a beer-swilling, 40 fags-a-day, whore-mongering motorcy taxi driver, the day before he had his head shaved, matters not. Redemption occurs once the term of office at the temple commences (except for the 40 fags a day).

I wonder if he returns to taxi driving after his spell at the wat ?

Nicotine is a hard drug, I don't know any casual smokers. There may be some, but most people I know would leave their office or the restaurant to have a cigarette. This is not only inconvenient for them, but often impolite to company, unless their company smokes too.

Most people I know (again, with exceptions) are casual drinkers. A wine with the dinner, or a beer after dinner, why not. No wine/beer today (there are some "family restaurants" that don't serve alcohol, I always ask whether they forget that the father is part of the family), no problem.

That's not the issue here. The issue is that a religious rule is imposed on all people currently in the country, regardless of their religion. And this is in a country that considers itself secular.

IMHO a religious rules should be for the followers of that religion to decide whether or not they want to obey. In a secular country, it has absolutely nothing to do with people who follow other religions.

In your case it may just be the people you mix with but it's nonsense to say there are no casual smokers. That's like saying everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. I like a smoke in the same way I like a drink.... but I'm not addicted to either.

Must be the people I mix with then. And the people I mixed with during my over 20 years of smoking. But then, I never said everyone who smokes is addicted, I especially mentioned there may be some who are not. Reads the second sentence of the first paragraph again. Obviously, you are one of those I meant.

Are the majority of people you mix with casual smokers? Is your personal experience that most smokers are casual smokers?

Already just been to my 'estate' local corner shop, for my 4 beers for tonight.

My Q: "Prungnee mee alcohol mai, mee Ardcha si guat mai na - prungnee chow?"

Shop answer: "Chai, mai mee pan ha! - tuk wayla" 555+

Seems the ban will be enforced dramatically! wink.png

-mel.

Archa, have you no taste buds ? bah.gif

....Nothing wrong with Archa mate! OK, I started drinking it cos it was cheap but it tasted fine, and soon I aquired a real taste for it, and I now prefer it to the slightly sweeter Leo which was my previous preference. I prefer it because it is slightly drier/less sweet than other Thai beers. I never liked the sickly sweet original Chang and assume 'Classic' tastes the same today. But bottled Chang 'Draught' was, and this years 'Export' is, OK. Drank Singha when I first came to Thailand in preference to Chang and when Leo was not available down south. But now I dont like Singha's wheaty/hoppy and again sweeter taste. I go back to Archa everytime now.......and its cheap!

......Cant drink beer today, but we can talk about itlicklips.gif!

• Like 1

Yes true, the Thai should make a Earth Day...hay Buddha was here.. even before JC. Did you know the full moon in June is an Invocation Day for JC

THE GREAT INVOCATION

From the point of Light within the mind of God

Let light stream forth into the minds of men

Let Light descend on Earth.

From the point of Love within the Heart of God

Let love stream forth into the hearts of men

May Christ return to Earth.

From the centre where the Will of God is known

Let purpose guide the little wills of men

The purpose which the Masters know and serve.

From the centre which we call the race of men

Let the Plan of Love and Light work out

And may it seal the door where evil dwells.

Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.

and full moon in May is Buddha's day. Buddha would like a EARTH DAY !!!

wow big fines for selling alcohol... no fines at all for poisening a whole area with cancersmoke from burning garbage or other toxic material

Why would The Buddha like AN Earth Day? The goal of life according to Him and original Theravada Buddhism is to escape from Earth and never come back!

......And please keep the 'Once Upon a time' Secret Society Theosophical bedtime fairy story stuff to yourself!

It might be the law or a regulation, but anyone living here has the right to complain over them.

If we look at history some laws clearly change after the people has spoken out against them.

Everyone can complain all they want but unless you are a citizen, your voice is fairly insignificant and actually could, in some circumstances, end up getting you tossed out of the country if you actually did try to interfere (cause change) in Thai politics, religion or laws.

I find it best to not even consider rocking the boat.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that this didn't apply to the Villa I just bought beer at in Nichada.

Nah, I am having a couple of [hiccup] days in Bangkok and you [hiccup] can`t gerra drink anywhere! You`re me best pal, you are...

Must be the people I mix with then. And the people I mixed with during my over 20 years of smoking. But then, I never said everyone who smokes is addicted, I especially mentioned there may be some who are not. Reads the second sentence of the first paragraph again. Obviously, you are one of those I meant.

Are the majority of people you mix with casual smokers? Is your personal experience that most smokers are casual smokers?

Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

OK being a business operator I have waited all day to here from the officials that we are not able to sale alcohol today and its almost midnight. When are they going to tell the merchants they can not sell it????

You want a personal notice about the law?

It might be the law or a regulation, but anyone living here has the right to complain over them.

If we look at history some laws clearly change after the people has spoken out against them.

Everyone can complain all they want but unless you are a citizen, your voice is fairly insignificant and actually could, in some circumstances, end up getting you tossed out of the country if you actually did try to interfere (cause change) in Thai politics, religion or laws.

I find it best to not even consider rocking the boat.

Was curious how many people are actually casual smokers. Although I didn't find an answer, I did find this ...

Yale University researchers found that among nearly 6,000 Americans, those who smoked on a fairly "casual" basis were more likely to binge-drink than non-smokers were.

These bans have nothing to do with Buddhism, they were an attempt by the Abhisit government to ingratiate themselves with the Buddhist hi-so's. The ban only became law 2 years ago, prior to that there was a polite request to refrain from selling alcohol, which most establishments politely ignored. The bans are part of a desperate attempt to stop Thais drinking. The effect is often the reverse.

OK being a business operator I have waited all day to here from the officials that we are not able to sale alcohol today and its almost midnight. When are they going to tell the merchants they can not sell it????

Once again - it is not about the law, it is about the enforcement of it.

You may have noticed an inconsistent application of it.

It is not until the Nation comes out with the announcement that this year's application is made public.

Not much help for those in business "shall we, shan't we" open/lay staff off for the day etc

These bans have nothing to do with Buddhism, they were an attempt by the Abhisit government to ingratiate themselves with the Buddhist hi-so's. The ban only became law 2 years ago, prior to that there was a polite request to refrain from selling alcohol, which most establishments politely ignored. The bans are part of a desperate attempt to stop Thais drinking. The effect is often the reverse.

Nonsense !

4 years ago I saw a Thai shop on the Darkside turned-over for 20,000 Baht because it was selling beer on a Buddha Day.

Well that really worked, another unpoliced night , it was a holiday,don't the law makers know that when it's a holiday,Police don't work! and if they do,they are at the police station having drinks....how the hell can they expect to control burning off or other vital matters if they can't even fulfill a simple task....oh dear...

Well that really worked, another unpoliced night , it was a holiday,don't the law makers know that when it's a holiday,Police don't work! and if they do,they are at the police station having drinks....how the hell can they expect to control burning off or other vital matters if they can't even fulfill a simple task....oh dear...

"Control burning off" - remind me again, how does that work ? smile.png

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 1

My ex-gf: "Do you want an ice tea?"

Me:" No...I want a beer!"

My ex-gf:"NO! Listen! Do you want an ICE TEA???"

Me: "No...I want...oh...yes...one Ice Tea please!"

(that sh@t must have been rotten. tasted so much like beer!)

Looks like coors/molson is ahead of you in the iced tea beer thought http://online.wsj.co...1381936526.html

uuuuuaaaarrrgghhsssss...bah.gif

It is not until the Nation comes out with the announcement that this year's application is made public.

Not much help for those in business "shall we, shan't we" open/lay staff off for the day etc

I am not sure I understand. There are many other laws and responsibilities that police have. Are you suggesting that the police should have stopped everything yesterday and solely focused on visiting every business in the country that sells booze? Possibly even hiring extra police to be able to station a cop at every location to enforce the law all day?

Laws are broken all the time and police need to prioritize. Although this story (repeated constantly) makes great discussion among the expat community, it is doesn't rate all that high on police priorities.

No, that's not true. I've been here for over 20 years, and it's always been the law.

I am not sure I understand. There are many other laws and responsibilities that police have. Are you suggesting that the police should have stopped everything yesterday and solely focused on visiting every business in the country that sells booze? Possibly even hiring extra police to be able to station a cop at every location to enforce the law all day?

Laws are broken all the time and police need to prioritize. Although this story (repeated constantly) makes great discussion among the expat community, it is doesn't rate all that high on police priorities.

No - I am suggesting the opposite. That there is no need for a law and therefore no need to waste police time (ha ha) on something that grown ups should be left to deal with themselves.

No - I am suggesting the opposite. That there is no need for a law and therefore no need to waste police time (ha ha) on something that grown ups should be left to deal with themselves.

ahhh -- looks like the police here probably agree with you. I am not much of a drinker but was told by friends that are that our Family Mart and all the small places were still selling but that 7-11 wasn't. My guess is, minus the one-offs where cops wanted to collect a small "fine" the only place it would have been enforced is the entertainment spots or discos.

Well, don't have to worry about this for another year. Hellllloooooo Songkran!

No this particular holiday or alcohol ban but there are a number of others and like now, they will bring everyone out to complain or telling the complainers to relax.