PM Yingluck Denies Report She Will Visit Family Of Slain Japanese Cameraman Muramoto

webfact

POLITICAL VIOLENCE

PM denies report she will visit family of slain Japanese

PIYANART SRIVALO

THE NATION

30177447-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday cited her tight schedule for not visiting the family of slain Japanese cameraman Hiro Muramoto in Tokyo, but promised that they would receive compensation for the victim of the 2010 political unrest.

I WILL SEND A LETTER: PM

"I will send a letter in my name to inform the family about compensation," she said.

Dismissing speculation that she planned to hand a cheque to Muramoto's survivors in Tokyo during her official visit to Japan, she said the Thai Embassy in Tokyo would relay her letter of condolence.

The embassy would identify his next of kin and notify them about the payment, she said before departing for Tokyo in the afternoon.

Deputy Agriculture Minister Natthawut Saikua said in the morning that he had understood that Yingluck would personally meet with Muramoto's family.

"The prime minister will represent the Thai people in conveying their sympathy," he said.

The Democrats should be condemned for trying to block the compensation payments to victims of the crackdown on political rallies, he said.

The move would be a gesture of reconciliation, as the money would be delivered to all victims regardless of their political stripe, he said.

"I don't understand why the Democrats are so determined to derail the reconciliation process," he said.

GREEN LIGHT FOR COMPENSATION

The Cabinet gave the green light to compensating the victims of political violence dating back to 2005, said Tongthong Chandransu, permanent secretary of the PM's Office.

The scheme spans incidents from 2005 to May 2010, and covers civilians, state officials, media professionals and business owners.

The pay-outs are Bt4.5 million in case of death, Bt3 million in case of lost body parts or physical disability, and Bt250,000 for a funeral.

These payments are on top of reimbursement of medical bills.

The 2,369 victims from 2008-10 who are not entangled in |any legal proceedings in connection with the violence are entitled to compensation estimated |to cost the state about Bt1.9 billion.

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry will supervise the disbursements under the emergency budget for the 2012 fiscal year.

The recipients will be injured individuals and the surviving members of the families of the deceased, defined as including children, legal spouses and biological parents.

The funds cannot be calculated or claimed as part of the estate of a deceased victim.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-07

related

Thailand to offer compensation for slain Japanese cameraman Muramoto

http://www.thaivisa....raman-muramoto/

Deputy Agriculture Minister Natthawut Saikua said in the morning that he had understood that Yingluck would personally meet with Muramoto's family.

"The prime minister will represent the Thai people in conveying their sympathy," he said.

The Democrats should be condemned for trying to block the compensation payments to victims of the crackdown on political rallies, he said.

The move would be a gesture of reconciliation, as the money would be delivered to all victims regardless of their political stripe, he said.

"I don't understand why the Democrats are so determined to derail the reconciliation process," he said.

K. Nattawut probably missed the AFP report which has the PM saying

"I will not have enough time to meet with his family due to my busy itinerary,""

But then why speak the truth when you have a good opportunity to slam the Democrats and accuse them of derailing reconcilliation.

Edited by rubl

"I will not have enough time to meet with his family due to my busy itinerary,""

But then why speak the truth when you have a good opportunity to slam the Democrats and accuse them of derailing reconcilliation.

Surely it's more important to ask the question why the democrats are derailing the reconcilliation process when Abhisit set it up in the first place. They're arguing about the post coup AEC case proposals now even though they haven't been decided, much like the "assumed" charter reforms when the CDA hasn't even been formed yet!

By the way to "misunderstand a situation" is not the same as "lying" or "not speaking the truth" despite the fondness for the word, democratic party supporters on here have.

Surely it's more important to ask the question why the democrats are derailing the reconcilliation process when Abhisit set it up in the first place. They're arguing about the post coup AEC case proposals now even though they haven't been decided, much like the "assumed" charter reforms when the CDA hasn't even been formed yet!

By the way to "misunderstand a situation" is not the same as "lying" or "not speaking the truth" despite the fondness for the word, democratic party supporters on here have.

Yes, love. No, love. Whatever, love

Another milestone in internet debate.Thank you for your participation.

• Like 1

You assume the Democrats are derailing the reconcilliation. You seem to regard debate of proposals before they are decided to be wrong. You assume discussion of 'charter reform' is equally absurd.

Well, that's your opinion to which you are entitled.

As for k. Nattawut's misunderstanding, could be. He's a minor Dept Minister of Agriculture and may not be consulted on finer details of the PM's activities. Still he managed to get in his 'democrats should be condemned'. Will work wonders in the NorthEast of Thailand and seemingly with a few esteemed members here.

So once again, whatever. It's 11PM, time for a beer and a good book or a nice movie. The trial from

Franz Kafka seems appropriate wink.png

LoL, i've got this same answer before too

i think we both know what it really means, eh? ;)

i think we both know what it really means, eh? wink.png

Yah, in this case it means you didn't see or want to see my post/reply #8

Thank you for allowing me this meaningful contribution.

BTW on www.gutenberg.org you can find The Trial and many other good books smile.png

i think we both know what it really means, eh? wink.png

Yah, in this case it means you didn't see or want to see my post/reply #8

Thank you for allowing me this meaningful contribution.

BTW on www.gutenberg.org you can find The Trial and many other good books smile.png

i 100% seen it... still made no difference to what i was saying.

you just had second thoughts, possibly about how silly your response looked.. but anyway, i was past caring by the time i had clicked post.

You assume the Democrats are derailing the reconcilliation. You seem to regard debate of proposals before they are decided to be wrong. You assume discussion of 'charter reform' is equally absurd.

As for k. Nattawut's misunderstanding, could be. He's a minor Dept Minister of Agriculture and may not be consulted on finer details of the PM's activities. Still he managed to get in his 'democrats should be condemned'. Will work wonders in the NorthEast of Thailand and seemingly with a few esteemed members here.

So once again, whatever. It's 11PM, time for a beer and a good book or a nice movie. The trial from

Well despite your later protestations about "drivel" I asked a perfectly good question;

How can you argue with a statement/idea/proposal if that statement/idea/proposal hasn't even been formulated. The democrats (and you presumably) seem to think that that is a perfectly normal state of affairs. I call it arguing against "it" just for the sake of it.

The PTP /Reds are doing nothing but talking about reconciliation.

it is just another talking point to hammer at the Dems with.

Actual reconciliation for them is is we win, you lose, and we control you now.

Nothing more nothing less.

Don't expect that she would be given a warm overcome there anyway.

But she has been given a warm welcome over there.

As for the family of the murdered cameraman, I doubt whether they would have any issues with Yingluck - with Abhisit perhaps who had civilian control of the trigger happy generals.

Edited by jayboy

As for the family of the murdered cameraman, I doubt whether they would have any issues with Yingluck

That would all depend on how much research they have done into Yingluck's brother and how much they know about his role in the protests.

That would all depend on how much research they have done into Yingluck's brother and how much they know about his role in the protests.

Well I assume they would be aware that the redshirts generally follow Thaksin, as do the Thai people as a whole as we know from the last general election result.Japan is a functioning democracy and one assumes most peoples sympathies would lie with the Thai people - not the militarists, feudalists, corporate monopolists and other unelected elites.I doubt whether most foreigners would have an issue with Thaksin's organising presence.

But are you suggesting Thaksin was also behind the army killing of civilians - as an agent provocateur? Seems weird but there is an increasing tin foil element in discussion of Thai politics - notably the anti-globalists (opponents of the Arab Spring andsupporters of Syria's Assad incidentally) who are so crazy it simply isn't worth discussing politics with.In Thailand they believe the U.S is backing Thaksin as part of a globalist capitsalist conspiracy.OK the net always throws up a loony element so one shouldn't take the nutters to seriously.

Well I assume they would be aware that the redshirts generally follow Thaksin, as do the Thai people as a whole as we know from the last general election result.Japan is a functioning democracy and one assumes most peoples sympathies would lie with the Thai people - not the militarists, feudalists, corporate monopolists and other unelected elites.I doubt whether most foreigners would have an issue with Thaksin's organising presence.

Your suggestion that all the people who voted for PTP at the last election - undeniably a large proportion of the voting population - were also in full support of the red riots of 2010, and think that Thaksin's role in it was righteous and justified, think that he was fighting for democracy, think that he is not a part of the elite, think that the acts of the government and military in dealing with the protesters at the time were wrong, is a suggestion that people from afar might be inclined to go along with, to believe.. and perhaps that includes Muramoto's family, and i certainly wouldn't blame them or anyone else who takes a distant overview of the situation here, coming to that conclusion, especially when one considers the amount of misleading information being propagated by those with a vested interest in painting a certain picture.

Your suggestion that all the people who voted for PTP at the last election - undeniably a large proportion of the voting population - were also in full support of the red riots of 2010, and think that Thaksin's role in it was righteous and justified, think that he was fighting for democracy, think that he is not a part of the elite, think that the acts of the government and military in dealing with the protesters at the time were wrong, is a suggestion that people from afar might be inclined to go along with, to believe.. and perhaps that includes Muramoto's family, and i certainly wouldn't blame them or anyone else who takes a distant overview of the situation here, coming to that conclusion, especially when one considers the amount of misleading information being propagated by those with a vested interest in painting a certain picture.

I think it can be assumed that the majority of those who voted PTP are neither hostile to Thaksin nor unsympathetic to the Redshirt case.If they were they would have voted a different way.Your comment also reflects the rather tired and intellectually bankrupt view that only those on the spot can understand the complexities of Thai society and politics, as if some poorly educated retiree with a fetish for the Thai military (we have heard from them ad nauseam over the last couple of years) has an insight unaccessible to (say) a scholar from the famed Cornell University Thai department.Clearly both sides of the current dispute have a particular "narrative" to sell and embroidery/embellishment - misleading information if you like - can be found on both.What is not in dispute ,and the facts transcend politics, is that there was some poor behaviour on both sides in the Bangkok confrontation.Hira Muramoto was the unfortunate victim of shocking army indiscipline.Until we have a proper accounting there is no way of knowing whether this was general or exceptional.The evidence I have seen to date suggest the latter and that overall the army behaved professionally.

I think it can be assumed that the majority of those who voted PTP are neither hostile to Thaksin nor unsympathetic to the Redshirt case.If they were they would have voted a different way.

One can only speculate on the motives and reasoning of voters for voting the way that they did. Were i to speculate, i would suggest that the over-riding factor - when one considers it likely that a large proportion of the electorate most likely feels, based on years and years of past experience, that all politicians are basically in the game so as to further their own careers, so as to feather their own nests - was, what do my family and i get out of this? PTP went with an aggressive campaigning strategy, that included a number of election promises, such as a massive legal minimum wage raise to 300 baht, and 15,000 baht starting salary for college grads, that whilst difficult or perhaps impossible to implement, would have been very attractive to a lot of voters.

Now as you may remember, i believe that there needs to be some restrictions on how blatantly parties should be allowed to mislead when they campaign, and for me, it isn't enough of a penalty for parties that do grossly mislead (as i believe PTP will be proven to have done), to run the risk of being voted out in four years time, but putting all that aside, and getting back to speculation of why voters voted the way they did, i believe that opinions on the rights and wrongs of Thaksin, and the rights and wrongs of the protests he organised in 2009 and 2010, played little part. Of course you are free to speculate otherwise.

Your comment also reflects the rather tired and intellectually bankrupt view that only those on the spot can understand the complexities of Thai society and politics,

Please try to refrain yourself from misrepresenting my view. Nowhere have i ever said that only those on the spot can understand the complexities of Thai society and politics. My belief is simply that being on the spot can certainly help in one's understanding, and those who don't live here, those who don't work here, those who don't speak the language, those who don't concentrate their interest in politics and current affairs specifically on those within Thailand, may be greater at risk of coming to less well informed opinions.

as if some poorly educated retiree with a fetish for the Thai military (we have heard from them ad nauseam over the last couple of years) has an insight unaccessible to (say) a scholar from the famed Cornell University Thai department.

I agree although i think it important to note that your labelling of people of a certain opinion as being poorly educated retirees with fetishes for the Thai military, may well be inaccurate labelling that exposes your own prejudices. Attacking the person rather than attacking their opinion is what i would describe as (to borrow if i may your own parlance) a tired and intellectually bankrupt tactic.

Clearly both sides of the current dispute have a particular "narrative" to sell and embroidery/embellishment - misleading information if you like - can be found on both.What is not in dispute ,and the facts transcend politics, is that there was some poor behaviour on both sides in the Bangkok confrontation.Hira Muramoto was the unfortunate victim of shocking army indiscipline.Until we have a proper accounting there is no way of knowing whether this was general or exceptional.The evidence I have seen to date suggest the latter and that overall the army behaved professionally.

Agreed.

Well despite your later protestations about "drivel" I asked a perfectly good question;

How can you argue with a statement/idea/proposal if that statement/idea/proposal hasn't even been formulated. The democrats (and you presumably) seem to think that that is a perfectly normal state of affairs. I call it arguing against "it" just for the sake of it.

My dear chap, as Englishman you should know the difference between 'proposals not decided' and 'proposals not formulated'. Independent of that one may want to participate in the 'formulation' and 'decision'. Democratic process and so. To complain about the Dem's trying to make sure they are heard is just as ridiculous as Pheu Thai party list MP and UDD leader Nattawut's accusion the Dem's to (try to) derail the reconcilliation process by trying to use their democratic right to participate in formulation, discussion, etc.

Yah, for some English people's idea of democracydry.png

Edited by rubl