Ais 4G

Peterocket

A lot of people I think are aware of the trials in Bangkok but it's good see that the system is on offer in Phuket already. Was hoping that someone would have experienced it.

For developments such as Land and house or large Hotels it's a great internet solution providing rapid internet over large areas. No need for routers etc.

A lot of people I think are aware of the trials in Bangkok but it's good see that the system is on offer in Phuket already. Was hoping that someone would have experienced it.

For developments such as Land and house or large Hotels it's a great internet solution providing rapid internet over large areas. No need for routers etc.

Where did you found that 4G is on offer in Phuket?

I have AIS tower close to home, but the basestation is not upgraded even to 3G. Hopefully it will come soon.

Btw. Do they cap the monthly usage? For almost all providers cap their 'unlimited' packets to 3-5GB/month.. and then the speed drops to 358kbps or similar. I need about 20GB/month for my home usage.

Where did you found that 4G is on offer in Phuket?

I have AIS tower close to home, but the basestation is not upgraded even to 3G. Hopefully it will come soon.

Btw. Do they cap the monthly usage? For almost all providers cap their 'unlimited' packets to 3-5GB/month.. and then the speed drops to 358kbps or similar. I need about 20GB/month for my home usage.

This is not currently being provided as a new signal for mobile phone users via sim card. What it is being advertised as is a wireless internet solution for wide area networks. So as a random example the sinking fund of Land and House would invest in the antenna system and then all the homes in that development would have 50mbps wireless internet available to all their PC's and Phones for a fixed monthly fee. (probably about 500 baht per month although i'm not sure how many homes are in that development). Thats what was marketed to me anyhow.

AIS can provide more details...i expect there are a few hotels or developments that already use it. In terms of construction and infrastructure it could save a lot of money as it doesn't involve running cabling, buying routers, servers etc

This is not currently being provided as a new signal for mobile phone users via sim card. What it is being advertised as is a wireless internet solution for wide area networks. So as a random example the sinking fund of Land and House would invest in the antenna system and then all the homes in that development would have 50mbps wireless internet available to all their PC's and Phones for a fixed monthly fee. (probably about 500 baht per month although i'm not sure how many homes are in that development). Thats what was marketed to me anyhow.

AIS can provide more details...i expect there are a few hotels or developments that already use it. In terms of construction and infrastructure it could save a lot of money as it doesn't involve running cabling, buying routers, servers etc

Thanks for the clafication! That sounds like one WiMax use case long time ago.

The system would still require routers to the end point to share the connection to homes, but the cost of fiber optic cables is not there. Interesting offer anyway.

I suppose this would be a first phase and the residential users can come along later one with their own terminals. There are already some LTE devices on the market. http://www.telecoms.com/30696/att-unveils-first-lte-terminal-devices/ .. and the new iMoneyMaker device.