Scum Tuk-Tuk Driver Ripped Me Off

AlexDorneles

The Op made an agreement before getting in the tuk tuk, and was rightly annoyed at the outcome.

This has nothing to do with the money - it has everything to do with feeling cheated.

There is no mistake about this situation, the tuk tuk driver cheated the Op out of 50 baht. Yes, only 50 baht, big deal right? But I'm sure we all have our principles.

If faced with the same circumstances I bring into question the serenity even the most imperturbable of characters.

The simple difference is perhaps that these characters ‘let the issue go’ and won’t post about it.

Well, some should thank the Op for posting this as its given many ‘members’ (and the double entendre is valid in this case) to bully him.

This has nothing to do with being a cheap Charlie or considering what these poor tuk tuk drivers live on, it is simply about principle. No one likes to be cheated.

For this very reason, I always aim to carry change. Taxi's all over Thailand (and other countries) try the no change game too.

I’m sure that if a more established member posted a similar thread there would not be the same number of responses attempting to ridicule a new member.

I don't think he was cheated at all. He made a terrible deal, failing to define the terms of the deal before he accepted it. Had he clarified the terms he would not be in this position and indeed might have been quoted the full 2 pax fare.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feeling about tuktuk drivers in Bangkok is they are all thieves, the purchase of a tricked-out tuktuk is akin to buying burglar tools (the guys with beat-up older tuktuks who work the wholesale markets not included).

There is absolutely no reason to take a tuktuk in Bangkok, save for if your arse is too big to fit into a taxi cab.

OP: taxi drivers never have change, anywhere in the world. If you find one that does contact Ripley's.

The Op made an agreement before getting in the tuk tuk, and was rightly annoyed at the outcome.

This has nothing to do with the money - it has everything to do with feeling cheated.

There is no mistake about this situation, the tuk tuk driver cheated the Op out of 50 baht. Yes, only 50 baht, big deal right? But I'm sure we all have our principles.

If faced with the same circumstances I bring into question the serenity even the most imperturbable of characters.

The simple difference is perhaps that these characters ‘let the issue go’ and won’t post about it.

Well, some should thank the Op for posting this as its given many ‘members’ (and the double entendre is valid in this case) to bully him.

This has nothing to do with being a cheap Charlie or considering what these poor tuk tuk drivers live on, it is simply about principle. No one likes to be cheated.

For this very reason, I always aim to carry change. Taxi's all over Thailand (and other countries) try the no change game too.

I’m sure that if a more established member posted a similar thread there would not be the same number of responses attempting to ridicule a new member.

I don't think he was cheated at all. He made a terrible deal, failing to define the terms of the deal before he accepted it. Had he clarified the terms he would not be in this position and indeed might have been quoted the full 2 pax fare.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

As an alternative, the tuk tuk driver failed to define the terms of the deal and if he had clarified the terms he would not have had the fare. So basically he stole 100 baht, not the 50baht over what was agreed. Would the driver be satisfied if he received just the 50 baht or would he be demanding the 100. I mean, the driver also didn't clarify the deal.

If 50 baht is nothing to complain about then try taking that amount off a thai and see how they like it. It's nothing to do with the amount.

Of course, the most annoying thing being that OP probably ended up paying more for his trip than if he had taken a taxi.

I gave up completely on tuk-tuk drivers many years ago, and simply will not even start a discussion with them. It is simply not worth it.

I tell anyone visiting if you want the experience then fine - but for anything else (like actually getting somewhere) - take a taxi.

• Like 1

Generally - the worst of both worlds...

Out in the smog and the heat, without a meter, like a motorcy... stuck in the traffic without being able to sneak through between the cars, like a taxi...

Only time I use them is late at night, when the accompany has already organised the fare, without the driver knowing a farrang will be joining, for a short journey...

They do still put a smile on my face in that situation...

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Rip off?

Really?

50 Baht?

I really don't get all this "rip off" talk.

I am on a night out, probably spending a few 1000 baht on drinks for me, friends, ladies...and I complain about 50 or 100 baht on top of that?

Little hypocritical, isn't it?!

• Like 1

^ Ok. I'll bite. At what monetary level does a rip off become a rip off?

Nothing to bite here.

I am just saying: isn't it a bit of "crying over nothing"?

It's a night out on the town, <deleted>!

Should you really be counting 50 Baht and call it a rip off?

Just saying!

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, of course, of when it is a rip off!

In this case nobody can decide unless the OP gives us more details, how far was the journey, what time of night was it etc. I think what the people who're defending the tuk-tuk driver are trying to point out is did the OP expect too cheap a price? how many people here have taken a taxi or tuk-tuk for two people in Bangkok and only paid Bt50 ?

By the way I hate tuk-tuks too and that is why I never use them, if I want cheap travel I take a bus .

Nobody likes the feeling of being taken advantage of or ripped off, but why do you presume it only happens to farang? Happens to Thai too. My ex was Thai and would complain of tuktuks (and other situations) trying to rip him off at times (not only when he was with me, when alone or with other thai). The drivers are just guys on the make. Farangs are more likely to be taken advantage of, thats all..but its not just a farang thing.

The only times to get a tuk tuk are on short routes where they offer a similar service to motorbike taxis, i.e. a set charge for the short routes they ply, usually 20 Baht or so and hence cheaper than a taxi. And even then, only if it's inconvenient to get a motorbike instead: if it's raining, there are 2 or more of you, you have a lot of bags, etc.

Other times would be if there are no taxis around (very unusual but does happen) or you want to transport something that won't fit in a car's boot. Otherwise take a bike (quick) or taxi (comfortable) - a tuk tuk combines the worst of both of those modes of transport.

Incidentally, the first tuk tuk I ever took here, as a tourist about 8 years ago, charged me a grand total of 4 Baht, as my destination was (unbeknownst to be) just a few hundred yards away. Different from the first impression most tourists get of tuk tuk riding, I think...

In this case nobody can decide unless the OP gives us more details, how far was the journey, what time of night was it etc. I think what the people who're defending the tuk-tuk driver are trying to point out is did the OP expect too cheap a price? how many people here have taken a taxi or tuk-tuk for two people in Bangkok and only paid Bt50 ?

By the way I hate tuk-tuks too and that is why I never use them, if I want cheap travel I take a bus .

Why would the distance of the journey have to do with it, or what time of night, or anything else. The price was agreed, then after the journey the driver decided to add in the extra clause of the price being for each. They had an agreement and the driver changed it.

It isn't the amount that matters, it's the principle, and even if it was 1 satang over the agreed price it is still being ripped off. What may be a negligible amount to a farang can be quite a good earner for the driver if he does a few of them a day.

Is everyone happy with paying 500 baht at an ATM to withdraw funds if they have an overseas account? It's only a few dollars so shouldn't be a worry should it? I'm sure we're all over the moon about something like that. Even though you know the price I think that is still a rip off.

Why would the distance of the journey have to do with it, or what time of night, or anything else. The price was agreed, then after the journey the driver decided to add in the extra clause of the price being for each. They had an agreement and the driver changed it.

It isn't the amount that matters, it's the principle, and even if it was 1 satang over the agreed price it is still being ripped off. What may be a negligible amount to a farang can be quite a good earner for the driver if he does a few of them a day.

Is everyone happy with paying 500 baht at an ATM to withdraw funds if they have an overseas account? It's only a few dollars so shouldn't be a worry should it? I'm sure we're all over the moon about something like that. Even though you know the price I think that is still a rip off.

The price wasn't agreed though was it? it was still open to interpretation (1 person or 2) the OP was sloppy in not getting that specified. The distance and time are also important in deciding if they were ripped off or not - would you be happy driving somebody 20 or 30 miles at 2am for Bt50. I'm asking if the OP expected too much.

If you're paying Bt500 for ATM fees then I suggest you check other posts on TV, I certainly don't pay that and if you are, yes you're being ripped off.

I think it is unfair to paint all Tuk-Tuk drivers with the same brush, In my decade in Thailand I have encountered some very honest drivers and have also met some very bad ones.

In this instant I beleive the OP was the one that made the mistake, an agreement was made for the price of transportation from point A to point B, an agreement was not made for the total cost of the trip. OP should have asked that question before getting into the Tuk-Tuk . Also never get into a taxi,Tuk-tuk, etc without having the exact change to pay for your ride.

If the OP would have handed the driver 50 baht and walked off, there would not be any problem for him at all.

That is not a problem unique to Thailand, it is a problem all over the world in tourist cities and towns. Many Taxi and buses in the states demand correct change when using their transportation, because of carrying change on them exposes them to robberies.

I also understand the people that post the question of principal, as no one likes to get ripped off., but after paying $35.00 for a short taxi ride from the airport to my son's house on my last trip to the states, I personally would not stand on the principal in this case.

I would view it as a learning expierence, and never put myself in that position in the future, and I always have a can at home in which I put my change at the end of a day and I carry a bag of change with me anywhere I go when traveling outside of my village in Thailand.

Better Luck in the Future!

Cheers:cowboy.gif

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

Spare a thought for the tuk-tuk driver. He has wife and kids too... and he probably pays by the day to hire his tuk-tuk. He has to cover his costs... and lo and behold, a farang (possibly half-drunk) appears out of the blue... just asking to be ripped off.

No, tuk-tuk drivers are not rip-off artists... but a lot of farangs are damned good rip-off material.

Can't agree more.

Somesone have to be the sucker somethimes. I hope not all the times.

The price wasn't agreed though was it? it was still open to interpretation (1 person or 2) the OP was sloppy in not getting that specified. The distance and time are also important in deciding if they were ripped off or not - would you be happy driving somebody 20 or 30 miles at 2am for Bt50. I'm asking if the OP expected too much.

If you're paying Bt500 for ATM fees then I suggest you check other posts on TV, I certainly don't pay that and if you are, yes you're being ripped off.

Yes the price was agreed, it was 50 baht. If it was open to interpretation then it was ok to just pay the 50 baht. The driver could not complain as he too was sloppy. The distance has nothing to do with it. If the price is agreed then it is a rip off if it is more..

Yes, my mistake with the 500 baht ATM, I think it is more like 200 baht.

Yes the price was agreed, it was 50 baht. If it was open to interpretation then it was ok to just pay the 50 baht. The driver could not complain as he too was sloppy. The distance has nothing to do with it. If the price is agreed then it is a rip off if it is more..

Yes, my mistake with the 500 baht ATM, I think it is more like 200 baht.

Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour???? as other posters have pointed out the OP should have had the correct change

I'm surprised that you would expect any dfferent.

Just a few reads of ThaiVisa would tell you that all Thais hate you, your wife hates you, your children hate you , all of her family hate you, and the family pets, sorry buddy, even the dog hates you, I learnt this on ThaiVisa.

ThaiVisa, the Forum that tells you the truth.

The dog hates me?? dam_n. There I was thinking I was getting a handle on Thailand.

I blame it on theblether. When it gets hot out everyone's nerves are frazzled. I don't call anything a ripoff unless there is some serious coin involved. The tuk tuk drivers barely eek out a bare living anyway. They HAVE to try and get a little extra.

• Like 1

I blame it on theblether. When it gets hot out everyone's nerves are frazzled. I don't call anything a ripoff unless there is some serious coin involved. The tuk tuk drivers barely eek out a bare living anyway. They HAVE to try and get a little extra.

No. They don't. The time I gave up on tuk tuk was a fair few years ago. early evening Sukhamvit, little trafffic and I was waiting to get a cab. A tuk tuk drew up, and, as it was getting to the time of my meeting further up the road, I tried to strike a deal. I wanted to go a distance that I KNEW was 35 baht in a taxi. 35 baht. Said tuk tuk driver got stuck at 100 baht and would not even consider dropping not even to 50 baht.

If he had tried to settle on a fair deal, he would have got the buisness - he wouldn't and didn't. Two minutes later I got a cab that took me to my destination for, yes, 35 baht.

It is the same as taking a taxi parked outside a hotel. They will scam you every single time - without exception. They are simply NOT interested in a fair deal - and would prefer to sit outside on their arse all day waiting for the one tourist to take them for 10 times the price rather than do an honest days work.

Neither HAS to. They choose to. Big difference.

• Like 1

I blame me too huh.png

Edited by theblether

Of course, the most annoying thing being that OP probably ended up paying more for his trip than if he had taken a taxi.

I gave up completely on tuk-tuk drivers many years ago, and simply will not even start a discussion with them. It is simply not worth it.

I tell anyone visiting if you want the experience then fine - but for anything else (like actually getting somewhere) - take a taxi.

ditto.

I'm surprised that you would expect any dfferent.

Just a few reads of ThaiVisa would tell you that all Thais hate you, your wife hates you, your children hate you , all of her family hate you, and the family pets, sorry buddy, even the dog hates you, I learnt this on ThaiVisa.

ThaiVisa, the Forum that tells you the truth.

And here's me thinking MrsMills was dead and you're alive and living in Thailand. Can't you tickle those ivories and and revive our spirits with a little tune - how about 'Taxi driver rip off blues!!!'

Spare a thought for the tuk-tuk driver. He has wife and kids too... and he probably pays by the day to hire his tuk-tuk. He has to cover his costs... and lo and behold, a farang (possibly half-drunk) appears out of the blue... just asking to be ripped off.

No, tuk-tuk drivers are not rip-off artists... but a lot of farangs are damned good rip-off material.

Can't agree more.

Somesone have to be the sucker somethimes. I hope not all the times.

For many, this type of events boils down to "Welcome to this world' 101. In todays lesson we will show you how the bartering system works. The cost of the class to the OP was 50 Baht, quite cheap I think.

The Tuk Tuk driver did not rip off the OP.

It`s standard practise here in Thailand that most un-metred taxis charge fare per passenger and not a rate from A to B regardless of how many passengers are onboard travelling on the journey.

I cannot understand what the OP is whining on about. GET REAL.