Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Making Samsung Lcd Tv 400 Series Play Movies....

4evermaat

The USB port on it can only accept FAT/FAT32 according to the manual. I'm wondering if I can upgrade the firmware or change a service setting that would allow me to play moves directly from the USB port.

LA32D400E1XXT The manufacture date is December 2011. It looks like they purposely did not put the Media Play 2.0, which plays a ton of formats.

Luckily the tesco guy mentioned the model that was 100 baht more and has VGA input (for computers). There was another model that was exact same specs, but no VGA input. I would have been pissed.

I have the series 4 51' plasma,im sure the inputs are the same as the lcd,i have no probs,i just click onto video files and watch,is there a prob with the usb itself?

On another subject,thanks for the info on chumpon and thung wua laen, i moved my family to the beach last month and am enjoying the beautiful beach lifestyle

cheers

Even if you could find some firmware, and not brick the set, I doubt your model has the required hardware?

I did a lot of research and specifically purchased the LA32C530, both for 1080p (have True HD), and for the fact the USB port supports NTFS, so hanging a 1 GB HDD off it is no problem (FAT32 works too) and plays anything I can throw at it. If purchasing today I'd go for the model with the ethernet connection as well.

Can one play Blueray/HD files on a Samsung?

What's the format/container? Different models support different codecs.

Edited by lomatopo

Not all Samsung models will play video bah.gif

I have a 40" series 6 and like the OP's set, it only plays music and photos

I did do some research but could not find a firmware update for it,

and would hesitate to try FW not for the specific model.

I use an external player, the Western Digital HD, to play my extensive library of video

There might be differences to the USB ports on the TV. A friend of mine has a new 40 inch samsung internet capable TV, wanted to play movies from an NTFS Formatted external hard disk, and couldn't get it to work. I noticed that one of the USB ports is marked HDD, which worked.

Maybe have a close look / try diferent USB ports on the TV.

Even if you could find some firmware, and not brick the set, I doubt your model has the required hardware?

I did a lot of research and specifically purchased the LA32C530, both for 1080p (have True HD), and for the fact the USB port supports NTFS, so hanging a 1 GB HDD off it is no problem (FAT32 works too) and plays anything I can throw at it. If purchasing today I'd go for the model with the ethernet connection as well.

Wish I had did the same research. The GF just wanted a TV. It's not a big deal, as we have a standalone AJ dvd player, but it would have been nice to have it built in.

BTW, how much was the C530? Not too late to take it back? but we did have it delivered. Would have to see if tesco has it.

Edited by 4evermaat

Wish I had did the same research. The GF just wanted a TV. It's not a big deal, as we have a standalone AJ dvd player, but it would have been nice to have it built in.

BTW, how much was the C530? Not too late to take it back? but we did have it delivered. Would have to see if tesco has it.

The replacement model is the LA32D550, looks like it is 11,990 at Powerbuy, maybe you can find it for less?

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPage.aspx?Prod_Code=PWB000182866

http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/television/television/lcd-tv/LA32D550K7RXXM-spec

Tesco has it but not sure of the price. It is not on promotion this week, but the do have a nice Samsung LED 40" on sale: UA40D5000 for 20,990 (normally 27,990).

http://tescolotus.net/showpromotion.php?lang=en&id=568&photoid=4665

One cool thing about USB Media Playing on the Samsung: it remembers where you stopped watching any/all video files, so when you next watch it offers you the option of jumping to where you left off. And it's nice to not have to have another power-connected single use device, just plug in any USB HDD, or USB stick, navigate to any folder/file and watch. I looked at some BR/HD downloads, it looks like some are MKV/H.264 which can be played on most newer series 5 or higher Samsung's. But the file sizes are huge, 30+ GB! Not an issue for my seedbox per se, but I do have to FTP from my local Thai seedbox down to my PC at some point. I'm sticking with ISOs, with Thai subs. at 4.3 GB.

Can one play Blueray/HD files on a Samsung?

What's the format/container? Different models support different codecs.

I dunno. I download movies online DVDrip, BRrip etc

Thanks. Wish I knew this after the fact. How much was your 32"? If you paid under 10,000 for yours, I'd really feel like the fool.

If you didn't get a samsung, what would be the equivilant lg, panasonic, etc?

I have the series 4 51' plasma,im sure the inputs are the same as the lcd,i have no probs,i just click onto video files and watch,is there a prob with the usb itself?

On another subject,thanks for the info on chumpon and thung wua laen, i moved my family to the beach last month and am enjoying the beautiful beach lifestyle

cheers

As lomatopo eluded to, the type of built-in media player the tv has depends largely on the series/model you purchase from the start. The USB itself works fine. I could have checked in the store or did some research prior. I wouldn't think in 2011-12 a bigger name wouldn't have basic movie playing. But then again, planned obsolescence is always in play. Everybody's gotta eat. But it is not the end of the world. A decent stand-alone player will do the trick. But it is nice to know that you can have it all in one smile.png

And yes, you are welcome. Nice and quiet out here. True just added 3G service recently, so we have another wireless option besides CAT. ToT/3BB landlines are full right now. Maybe they are not anymore.

Edited by 4evermaat

Thanks. Wish I knew this after the fact. How much was your 32"? If you paid under 10,000 for yours, I'd really feel like the fool.

The replacement model is the LA32D550, looks like it is 11,990 at Powerbuy, maybe you can find it for less. This model has more features, including ethernet, and may be the base series 500 model currently available here?

The LA32C530 is no longer available.

The replacement model is the LA32D550, looks like it is 11,990 at Powerbuy, maybe you can find it for less. This model has more features, including ethernet, and may be the base series 500 model currently available here?

The LA32C530 is no longer available.

You are correct, i saw the LA32D550K7 in tesco for 11,900. Silly me, i did not check the wall with all the TVs that day. Another 2500 bt would have gone a long way.

Or how about this for feeling stupid: there is a series 4 that plays movies: LA32D450G1. Tesco had one for 10,990. no ethernet input, but the extra 1500 baht would have been worth it. The GF just wanted a TV, and surprisingly, i didnt do any research ahead of time. heck, i didnt even go to the wall with all the displays. Normally i'm much more meticulous with major electronic purchases. The more i think about it, the near-base model was almost senseless purchase. At least someone else can learn from this.