Ultimate Thai Street Bike?

madjbs

But listen to this!

Oh man, I iwll never be able to afford a Z1000 unless a flamingo happened to drop a bag of gold onto my balcony 555.

LOVE IT madjbs wai.gif

Can't stop clicking 'Replay' giggle.gif

Don't bother Norm it's got no flashing lightsgiggle.gif On the other hand the Kawa finance deal isn't too bad.

But listen to this!

Oh man, I iwll never be able to afford a Z1000 unless a flamingo happened to drop a bag of gold onto my balcony 555.

LOVE IT madjbs wai.gif

Don't bother Norm it's got no flashing lightsgiggle.gif On the other hand the Kawa finance deal isn't too bad.

They might be great sounding exhausts also very expensive at I think 50,000bht, but it takes the mean look away from the back, the stock exhausts just look so good!!

Nah I don't like the look of the stock mufflers, they are too short and fat. I think the Akrapovic ones look better, but I guess they are pretty expensive!

Horses for courses, looks are important to me, the stock mufflers in my opinion are just so mean looking, spending 50,000bht on changing to mufflers that don't look so good would be crazy, plus I doubt the performance gain would be worth 50k

But listen to this!

LOVE IT madjbs wai.gif

Arh so your going to change your mind and not order the Thai Ducati then?

But listen to this!

LOVE IT madjbs wai.gif

They might be great sounding exhausts also very expensive at I think 50,000bht, but it takes the mean look away from the back, the stock exhausts just look so good!!

Arrhhh, really?

I think they look like crap and sound like a wet weekend in Scotland!!! giggle.gif

But listen to this!

LOVE IT madjbs wai.gif

Arh so your going to change your mind and not order the Thai Ducati then?

I'm strictly a cash man but the Z1000 isn't my cup of tea. For me its a toss up between the Triumph Street Triple and the Ducati M795. If they were a similar price it would be the Triumph no question. As they aren't roll on June, the summer hols and my new red Ducati M795.

Considering price, fun and performance, I would vouch for a locally produced er6 or Versys. The price factor usually involves cost of the vehicle, cost and availablity of spares and service support. The unbeatable factor for the Kawasaki is that it is made in Thailand and is much more affordable than its direct import counterparts. By virtue of its local manufacture, it also has affordable service support and easily available spares. These are factors that usually matter to bike owners as it would be ridiculous to spend more time, money and mental energy maintaining the bike than actually on riding it.

The next factor to be considered would be the comfort and useablity both in Bangkok streets and longer trips out of Bangkok. The er6 is a very nimble bike that can zip through traffic, on over the sidewalk, is easy to park and doesn't overheat. The differences between the Versys and the er6n, in my humble limited knowledge, are the inverted forks, the swingarm and higher clearance which may help in handling and comfort in dual terrain but in a steet only traffic congested Bangkok situation with many stops & go's and limited parking, I believe they would be comparable except in riding position and height.

The other factor that I tend to give importance is the presence of a radiator and if the engine is liquid cooled. Liquid has better thermal conductivity by virtue of its higher density than air and thus can dissipate heat faster. Moreover liquid can be more easily manipulated in the cooling system (radiator & pumps) than air through fins on the cylinder head. Thus air cooled engines run hotter than liquid cooled ones and the former would be quite uncomfortable to the inner thighs of the rider in city traffic. It would be wise to choose a bike is liquid cooled and has a radiator for Bangkok city use.

There are riders that have a small bike such as a 150 or Fino/Click for the Bangkok riding and a bigger bike for longer trips upcountry. This is an unbeatable combination to keep one on two wheels in Thailand. However in my opinion, the er6 has comparable convenience of use in the city as the smaller bike and with enough 'bigness' to tour upcountry with comfort. The factors mentioned in the 1st paragraph seals the deal:-)

One issue that can not be overlooked, especially in Thailand, is the bling factor or the halo effect. As is in the nature of most possesions (such as car, phone, hand bag, etc.), a bike's brand and price tag may serve as a social status indicator of the owner. If this has a significant influence on one's cognition, then it may justify spending twice or three times the money on another bike that does the same function in similar capacity.

I hope this helps...

Edited by theforce

Considering price, fun and performance, I would vouch for a locally produced er6 or Versys. The price factor usually involves cost of the vehicle, cost and availablity of spares and service support. The unbeatable factor for the Kawasaki is that it is made in Thailand and is much more affordable than its direct import counterparts. By virtue of its local manufacture, it also has affordable service support and easily available spares. These are factors that usually matter to bike owners as it would be ridiculous to spend more time, money and mental energy maintaining the bike than actually on riding it.

The next factor to be considered would be the comfort and useablity both in Bangkok streets and longer trips out of Bangkok. The er6 is a very nimble bike that can zip through traffic, on over the sidewalk, is easy to park and doesn't overheat. The differences between the Versys and the er6n, in my humble limited knowledge, are the inverted forks, the swingarm and higher clearance which may help in handling and comfort in dual terrain but in a steet only traffic congested Bangkok situation with many stops & go's and limited parking, I believe they would be comparable except in riding position and height.

The other factor that I tend to give importance is the presence of a radiator and if the engine is liquid cooled. Liquid has better thermal conductivity by virtue of its higher density than air and thus can dissipate heat faster. Moreover liquid can be more easily manipulated in the cooling system (radiator & pumps) than air through fins on the cylinder head. Thus air cooled engines run hotter than liquid cooled ones and the former would be quite uncomfortable to the inner thighs of the rider in city traffic. It would be wise to choose a bike is liquid cooled and has a radiator for Bangkok city use.

There are riders that have a small bike such as a 150 or Fino/Click for the Bangkok riding and a bigger bike for longer trips upcountry. This is an unbeatable combination to keep one on two wheels in Thailand. However in my opinion, the er6 has comparable convenience of use in the city as the smaller bike and with enough 'bigness' to tour upcountry with comfort. The factors mentioned in the 1st paragraph seals the deal:-)

One issue that can not be overlooked, especially in Thailand, is the bling factor or the halo effect. As is in the nature of most possesions (such as car, phone, hand bag, etc.), a bike's brand and price tag may serve as a social status indicator of the owner. If this has a significant influence on one's cognition, then it may justify spending twice or three times the money on another bike that does the same function in similar capacity.

I hope this helps...

Good reply to a point......BUT

We differ on a couple of points , i don`t buy bikes with the sole intention of getting from A to B, so therefore the logic of wether it`s a good financial proposition or not doesn`t matter... it`s got to be a buzz for me.

Maintenance is not an issue either, well qualified in that department, the cost of parts could be an issue but i`ve found that the better the quality the bike the less spares req`d ( i had a er6/ninja made here, 23,000kilos driven by me from new) and i was forever buying plastics, chains etc for it and if the worst happened to my current ride the insurance will cover the big issues..

I will agree with you on the water cooled part though..

As for the status thing it doesn`t matter wether you ride a fino or a ducati here, if you are a FALANG the thai people think you have baht anyway, so no worry on the status part...

I would imagine that a large amount of riders here or anywhere buy their chosen steed with their heart and not their head.

...agreed?

I hope this helps...

Good reply to a point......BUT

We differ on a couple of points , i don`t buy bikes with the sole intention of getting from A to B, so therefore the logic of wether it`s a good financial proposition or not doesn`t matter... it`s got to be a buzz for me.

Maintenance is not an issue either, well qualified in that department, the cost of parts could be an issue but i`ve found that the better the quality the bike the less spares req`d ( i had a er6/ninja made here, 23,000kilos driven by me from new) and i was forever buying plastics, chains etc for it and if the worst happened to my current ride the insurance will cover the big issues..

I will agree with you on the water cooled part though..

As for the status thing it doesn`t matter wether you ride a fino or a ducati here, if you are a FALANG the thai people think you have baht anyway, so no worry on the status part...

I would imagine that a large amount of riders here or anywhere buy their chosen steed with their heart and not their head.

...agreed?

what causes you to be "forever buying plastics " for the er6n ? i have one with higher km than yours and i aint needed to buy anything bar the usual : tyres ,oil ,plugs ,filters ,brake fluid ,pads etc

the plastic bodywork is excellent but i wash,and wax it maybe once a month with cheap car wax fro the big c and thai people tel me how beautiful it looks nearly every day

I hope this helps...

i stopped using my er6n in the city because it is overweight

the turning circle is wider so its harder to squeze around stopped traffic

it drinks gas like a bastard around town but much better on the highway so i keep it for late nite and weekends

it pisses me off when i get wedged in and cant fit through a hole that scooters are squeezing through

an elegance is faster through jam packed roads

it doesnt get so hot around the balls as sitting on a 650cc powerplant stuck in midday traffic at 40 degrees

police think you have less money on a scooter than a bike worth a quarter million or more so tea money can be haggled lower wink.png

fcukwits wont sit on your scooter and press buttons and get their pic taken but they wil on a big bike when its left unattended

status is a big thing in thailand and people do kinda judge you on your vehicle or appearance

you will notice people using completely impractical vehicles for day to day stuff

my neighbour is a young thai bloke ,he rides a new r1 ,even to the 7-11 400metres down the soi ,with no helmet obviously biggrin.png

people in full leathers congregate at starbucks and park their bikes as close to the tables as possible sometimes

a man in my wifes office rides a harley to work ,with luggage boxes so nearly as wide as a car (takes him 45+ min and it can be done on a scooter with a crazy pilot in 15ish

hes a cool guy but they are riding the most impractical vehicles to get through central bkk traffic in rush hour

also i noticed not as many people come over for a chat when your parking a scooter ,when its a 650 or a litre bike you meet middle class thais that speak perfect english ,come over and introduce themselves etc

also plenty of mocyc taxis like to come over and chat ,usually the same old questions come up ,an ee tao rai kap ?:D

Edited by wana

it drinks gas like a bastard around town but much better on the highway so i keep it for late nite and weekends

it pisses me off when i get wedged in and cant fit through a hole that scooters are squeezing through

it doesnt get so hot around the balls as sitting on a 650cc powerplant stuck in midday traffic at 40 degrees

The ER6n is hardly wider than your average scooter and is pretty nimble for a ~200kg bike. I've often noticed that the Brown Mafia are more likely to pull over scooters and let big bikes pass unmolested. Fuel efficiency? Dunno, don't care. If fuel efficiency is a concern best to stick with 250cc and below.

The ER6n is hardly wider than your average scooter and is pretty nimble for a ~200kg bike. I've often noticed that the Brown Mafia are more likely to pull over scooters and let big bikes pass unmolested. Fuel efficiency? Dunno, don't care. If fuel efficiency is a concern best to stick with 250cc and below.

I have to agree with that especially if your wearing protective gear as well, they just let you pass or just want to look at your bike :)

we could argue all day but the 206 kilo er6n is not as nimble in a traffic jam as a small automatic scooter that turns on a dime and weighs nearly half as much

im not saying er6n is difficult to ride ,just simply the scooter makes more sense for running errands in congested rush hour

conditions

as mid sized bikes go ,the er6n is pretty good at low speed manouvering ,probably has a smaller turning circle than my cb400

if the roads i frequently ride were a bit less congested ,i would always take a bigger manual bike given the choice

Edited by wana

Scooters are boring. I use mine for going to 7/11 and the local supermarket but that is it. If I am going any distance at all I will use the F650, which handles traffic well and is much more comfy and fun to ride. I never get stopped on the BMW, but on the scooter I get stopped all the time, I actually have come to the conclusion the police like to pick on the poor guys because they are less likely to be anyone or know anyone of importance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a ride tomorrow to Kleang with/on my mates new Ducati Streetfighter.

Meeting outside Mitiyon at 3pm. Rain permitting of course smile.png

Be there or be square smile.png

Can't wait.

Will get some pics and vids smile.png

• MultiQuote
  • Edit

I love supersport bikes but they are not practical as they are so uncomfortable to ride over any distance, I have the new Z1000 and for me it blows away anything, riding position is fantastic, it looks awesome, it sounds great, I love driving it and can not get enough of it!!

• Like 1

I have to say, something in the motard or naked platform would be the ultimate Thai streetbike.

The suspensions should be able to deal with unexpected potholes and the like. Fairings should be minimal, as you don't have to worry about it being scratched in traffic. It shouldn't heavy but should have ample power to allow you to zip out of the way in case big truck with a retard for a driver is hurtling towards you. The bikes should also be able to deal with the hot weather.

BTW, I've read somewhere that the Ducathai Monster was air-cooled and it was recommended that you had to turn off the engine if you were stuck in traffic, or else the engine might overheat.

I have to say, something in the motard or naked platform would be the ultimate Thai streetbike.

The suspensions should be able to deal with unexpected potholes and the like. Fairings should be minimal, as you don't have to worry about it being scratched in traffic. It shouldn't heavy but should have ample power to allow you to zip out of the way in case big truck with a retard for a driver is hurtling towards you. The bikes should also be able to deal with the hot weather.

BTW, I've read somewhere that the Ducathai Monster was air-cooled and it was recommended that you had to turn off the engine if you were stuck in traffic, or else the engine might overheat.

One of these?

Mmmmmmmmmm, Vnice!

Even though you were filming right next to the Ducati i could still hear your bike over his!! biggrin.png

Wonder how much a set of Termi's will cost him..... :S

69k Baht!!!

Ouch, but i guess he can aford it smile.png

I would also say that this Ducati Streetfighter or a KTM 690 smc would fit the bill nicelypost-59428-0-17999800-1332767360_thumb.j