Fried Rice

Nickerelastic

Err.. Use the most basic general purpose rice you can find.. It's for frying after all, it completely doesn't matter. You know, the type that goes for 79 baht for 5kg at Tesco. :o

For preparation, I suggest you just order it at an open air food stall and watch them do it. For oil, again, any oil.. Personally I would use sunflower seed oil.

Don't fry it too long. Again, check at the local food stall. That's where I learned to cook Thai food, virtually free. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

chanchao

Thanks for replying.

I'm in the UK

If youre in UK - next time youre at your favourite asian supermarket, get yourself a bag of thai "broken rice".... its exactly that.. broken, but my mrs and her thai friends swear by it for fried rice... seems to be much drier than the normal basmati or thai fragrant rice. I should point out its much cheaper too - but im told that its not the only reason they buy it.

As for oil i use either chilli oil or olive oil - sesami can be good but go steady with it as its very strong.

"broken rice".... its exactly that.. broken, but my mrs and her thai friends swear by it for fried rice... seems to be much drier than the normal basmati or thai fragrant rice.

interesting ..basically we use " broken rice" for make congee(joke/rice porridge)

when small part of broken riced is cooked .. it will hold water (coz more suface space) and then glue it together as bulk

im confusedconfuse.png

@ Nickerelastic , for oil ..you can use soy oil , olive oil (but just dont use BABY OIL ) :o:D

start with fry chopped garlic ,till yellow then throw :D meat +egg +veggies , add flavor with soya sauce /num pla/sugar then add rice (taste and adjust till u like)

Overnight (cooked) rice is the best because they are drier. If you want to make fried rice the next day cook more today. Keep the rest in the fridge when cooled. I keep my 'overnight rice' for abt 3-4 days in the fridge. I also use the overnight rice for cooking plain porridge (khao tom).

> Is it necessary to boil the rice first or is that optional?

> Can it be fried straight from the bag.

That would result in a very crispy fried rice.. :o

Seriously though, there is such a think as 'baked' rice (khao ob) which i think starts with lightly frying the uncooked rice, then add water, and some meat and veg, soy sauce, etc. and then leave it to cook until done. I like it as it's a 'fire & forget' type of dish that can be made directly in the rice cooker. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Always  leave  mine  overnight  or  at  least  until  cold.................find  it  seperates  better  when  you  fry  it.

Yep exactly - Ive heard that cooked rice needs to be put in the fridge fairly quickly as it can breed germs very easily.. maybe more so than other foods

Is there any truth in this - my wife maintains that its fine to leave it in the rice cooker till the next day...

Leave overnight if poss. Wash with cold water, drain and leave in fridge for an hour if not.

Ground nut oil for frying though, sometimes maybe with a little touch of Toasted Sesame oil.

redrus

Is there any truth in this - my wife maintains that its fine to leave it in the rice cooker till the next day...

I leave mine in the cooker for a day. The next day when it's cooled (and if I'm not using it) I use my nose to sniff for funky aroma. If it's ok I keep in fridge for future use. Sometimes I may cook the rice a bit too wet and it goes off the next day.

Always  leave  mine  overnight  or  at  least  until  cold.................find  it  seperates  better  when  you  fry  it.

Yep exactly - Ive heard that cooked rice needs to be put in the fridge fairly quickly as it can breed germs very easily.. maybe more so than other foods

This subject of rice going off has been covered on this forum (I think), if not, there's loads of info on the web. However, in most cases rice that has been cooked properly will be fine for 24 hrs. The problem is with moisture in the cooked rice. So if storing a lot make sure it's cooked and store it in a flater rather than deeper way, this really helps.

Here's my recipe for fried rice with chicken. Managed to find all the ingredients required here in London at a local chinese emporium so this tastes really authentic!

INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2) :

2 cups of cooked white rice - basmati is fine, jamine even better

8oz chicken breast - sliced thinly

1 onion -sliced thinly

1 tomato - cut into chunks

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 inch peice of galangal

1 teaspoon lemongrass

4 green chillies - de-seeded

1 egg

good bunch of coriander

2 cloves garlic

dash of fish sauce

lime

If you have a mortar & pestle, pound together the garlic, galangal, chillies, lemongrass & the stalks of the coriander until it is combined to a rough paste. You can use a food processor but doing it by hand adds something to the tase! only use the stalks of the coriander at this stage & reserve the leaves for garnishing.

Heat your wok / frypan and add the paste along with the oil, stir fry for 2-3 mins untuil the aroma has been released but do not burn. Then add the chicken & onions & fry until the chicken changes colour, ideally another 2-3 mins.

Next, add the tomato chunks & rice. Stir carefully so as not to mush the rice but ensuring that all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. After a further 1 min of stir frying, break the egg into a bowl & whisk briefly before also adding to the pan and let it coat the rice, it will cook within a matter of seconds from the residual heat in the pan. Then add fish sauce & freshly squezzed lime to taste and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve immediately with prik nam pla.

The entire cooking time should take no more than 6-7 mins. The key is in the preparation - make sure you have all the ingredients ready before you start frying.

ENJOY!

Edited by Jaffy

I have now cooked various fried rice dishes including the above and variations on the above. The best version was brown rice with beef and veg, I added a few more chopped green chillies as I like it hot.

One thing though, it wasn't day old rice, I cooked the rice and used it straight away. Can this make a difference to the taste or texture?

check this site http://www.thailander.com/aboutthailand/thaifood/

I have now cooked various fried rice dishes including the above and variations on the above.  The best version was brown rice with beef and veg, I added a few more chopped green chillies as I like it hot.

One thing though, it wasn't day old rice, I cooked the rice and used it straight away.  Can this make a difference to the taste or texture?

check this site http://www.thailander.com/aboutthailand/thaifood/

nice link S !