Sleeping Beauty

uptheos

There is an Australian movie showing at Major Cineplex Chiang Mai called Sleeping Beauty.

I notice on the advertisement is says 'must be aged 20+ and ID must be presented'.

I can't recall seeing this before in Chiang Mai, it does have an X rating.

Anyone know why it's so restricted?

Edited by uptheos

Ive seen the movie, and it was ..odd..interestingly odd. Im still digesting it. I thought this review was very well put: http://blog.cinemaau...ng-beauty-2011/

Im actually quite surprised Thailand is airing it.

Thanks Eek for the review. I will try and get to see it and make my own judgment, but I'd like to ask if you think it warrants a 20+ rating, considering what people can do at a younger age (like fight and kill for country)? I guess I just don't like too much censorship, especially when Thailand shows so much graphic detail of blood and gore, to anyone of any age.

Edited by uptheos

No. Doesnt warrant a 20+ censorship imo...but then again i find Thailands censorship rulings odd as is. It has full nudity, but was not in the least done for sensationalism, titillation or eroticism (well, i guess that depends on what turns a viewer on, but i found it was more clinical than sexual. Which, i may add, i also found a refreshing change to films that fall back on easy sensationalism.) I imagine because of the full nudity it has been warranted the rating, especially as it has male nudity. I find, for some reason, people have a harder time dealing with the male nude form. Maybe because it is still fairly rare in comparison to seeing the female form exposed in some way.

I do wonder if Thailand will end up cutting some scenes out, or blur over naked zones. Even with that rating, wouldnt surprise me at all.

No. Doesnt warrant a 20+ censorship imo...but then again i find Thailands censorship rulings odd as is. It has full nudity, but was not in the least done for sensationalism, titillation or eroticism (well, i guess that depends on what turns a viewer on, but i found it was more clinical than sexual. Which, i may add, i also found a refreshing change to films that fall back on easy sensationalism.) I imagine because of the full nudity it has been warranted the rating, especially as it has male nudity. I find, for some reason, people have a harder time dealing with the male nude form. Maybe because it is still fairly rare in comparison to seeing the female form exposed in some way.

I do wonder if Thailand will end up cutting some scenes out, or blur over naked zones. Even with that rating, wouldnt surprise me at all.

Nah they'll just blur out the smoking scenes.biggrin.png

I thought for most of us living in Thailand its easy to get our heads around oddities...i mean, just about everything "odd" happens here, does it not..lol

Anyway, i found the movie intriguing. It really compartmentalised sex from emotions, in a clinical non-erotic or sensual way. (I realise people can of course have emotionless sex, but this was presented in a very different kind of way).

I thought for most of us living in Thailand its easy to get our heads around oddities...i mean, just about everything "odd" happens here, does it not..lol

Anyway, i found the movie intriguing. It really compartmentalised sex from emotions, in a clinical non-erotic or sensual way. (I realise people can of course have emotionless sex, but this was presented in a very different kind of way).

Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd weren't in it were they?

• Like 2

I was flicking though the TV channels a while ago, I got to a Thai soap and thought the lens on my glasses had fallen out, or my G/F had smeared Vaseline all over the screen. it took a few seconds to figure out what was going on…………..Two gangs (all standing with a fag hanging out the corner of their mouths) Pointing guns at each other in a small room…….One big blur fest! All the blurs over lapped………….Made me smile.

It doesn't matter about the rating. DO NOT see this movie if you value your time and/or money. It is perhaps the most boring and pointless movie I have ever seen. My gf kept begging me to turn it off, but I kept thinking "it has to get better" but it never did. It started boring and stayed boring.

A funny story though, I was watching a teenage/childrens Thai show one time and it had young kids break dancing to hip-hop music. Thai parents were watching and smiling and clapping their hands. All fine and good except the music they were playing was a song from Snoop Dog's album. Lyrics like "<deleted>*ck you bit*ch!" and "I'll pop a cap in yo as* after I get done gang banging you", etc. etc. It was hilarious! The Thai's ears could not hear the language or understand what was being sung. Now THAT was entertainment!

This sounds almost like a clinical examination of Australian sexuality.

The possible inclusion of Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd would indeed make it a "must see" for cinema buffs everywhere.

This sounds almost like a clinical examination of Australian sexuality.

The possible inclusion of Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd would indeed make it a "must see" for cinema buffs everywhere.

The scene where Julia says to Kevin "You hansum man" was truly unforgettable!

A classic moment to equal anything ever seen on the Silver Screen and worth the price of admission in itself.

Australian Cinema has scaled the heights before. But the Gillard-Rudd chemistry creates a rocket fuel that propels it into supernal realms unvisited.

Sit back and enjoy... but don't forget to fasten your seatbelts!