Muay Thai For Older People

I just thought that I’d share my experiences of learning Muay Thai. I’m hoping that it might inspire other older people to give it a go. I had wanted to learn Muay Thai for years, but I worried that I was too old. I waited until I'd almost hit forty before attending my first Muay Thai class here in Bangkok. I’ve now been training for almost 2 years and I love it. It has been such a wonderful journey, and it has tested me in ways I couldn’t have imagined.

Muay Thai is challenging both physically and mentally, but it is this that makes it so rewarding. It only takes a couple of months to become cardiovascular fit enough to easily manage a class. The gyms here are quite laid back, and they are not going to make people do anything they want to do. I started off slowly but within a year I was training the same level as everyone else. I even went full-time for a couple of months last year. I had hoped to fight, but I was unlucky and picked up too many injuries.

When I first began training I worried that age would prevent me from getting in good enough physical shape, but that wasn’t the problem at all. The real issue for us older guys is that it tends to take us a bit longer to recover from injuries. This is not a problem so long as we take it easy. They say that we reach the peak of our physical fitness in our late teens, but I hit the peak of my fitness last year. At the moment I’m training hard to get back to that level.

What I’m trying to say here (badly) is that anyone who is interested in learning Muay Thai should not allow age to put them off. There are sixty year olds who have taken up the training, and they love it too. Those of us who have already hit middle age have probably missed out on our chance to turn pro, but there is more to martial arts than that. It is relatively cheap to learn Muay Thai in Thailand, and those of us who live here have a great opportunity.

• Like 1

Right. More Martial Arts and less beer jap.gif Many of us are here and wast only time and do nothing.

I couldn't agree with you more :) I know Muay Thai isn't going to suit everyone, but it would be nice to see more of the older expat crowd give it a go. I'm sure there are plenty of them who have thought about it, but then dismissed the idea because they decided they were too old or too out of shape.

because they decided they were too old or too out of shape.

They only need the courage to walk into a school and have a talk with the manager. I am 50 + and train many time a week. We are so old (or young wai.gif ) as we feel.

You are right of course and you are also inspirational. I remember the first time that I turned up at a Muay Thai gym I was worried that they would laugh at me, but they couldn't care less about my age.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ‘garro’ early forty’s……..You’re still a sprog mate, ha ha….. Fair play to you!

I used to do a lot of boxing training, and sparring, but not matches, around mu forty’s, I know why you love it so much, I used to get such a buzz of it.

At 55 now, I’d love to have a go, (training, not fighting) my knees and shoulder are a bit shot away now….but would like to do the fitness and learn the technical aspect of it all.

Anyone know of an Muay Thai club in, or around Chiangmai, that welcomes ‘western punch bags?

• Like 1

Hi garro,

Where is your Muay Thai gym (how come it is called "a gym")? I may join you as I'm not that old - I'm 25 smile.png

Technically it is a camp.

I have sent you a PM with details of the gym - I was training at Sitsongpeenong but now I'm learning Muay Boran.

Hi ‘garro’ early forty’s……..You’re still a sprog mate, ha ha….. Fair play to you!

I used to do a lot of boxing training, and sparring, but not matches, around mu forty’s, I know why you love it so much, I used to get such a buzz of it.

At 55 now, I’d love to have a go, (training, not fighting) my knees and shoulder are a bit shot away now….but would like to do the fitness and learn the technical aspect of it all.

Anyone know of an Muay Thai club in, or around Chiangmai, that welcomes ‘western punch bags?

Thanks for making me feel good :)

I'm also focusing on technique more at the moment, and this is why I've started doing Muay Boran (traditional Muay Thai)

I'm sure they have similar in Chiang Mai and it is a bit less intense than sport Muay Thai.