Where Does A Thai National Go To Train To Be A Tour Guide?

chaihot

I have read other threads and searched and the only find was ... it is outdated and the links don't work.

This request for information is for a THAI NATIONAL to find a school in the Pattaya area in the field of tourism to meet the requirements to obtain a Tourism of Thailand national tour guide license/certification card.

Any help or direction is appreciated. My wife wants to get certified as a tour guide and I want to obtain a starting point on where to begin the search and the training.

Thank you.

I will ask my gf she is a tour guide with a license card and has been one for a long time. But mind you its a hard job and you need contacts (friends) to get jobs. They mostly work freelance and get their jobs because of friends and recommendations. I am talking about the Thai market here and some foreigners (not many Europeans).

Its my understanding they only have classes at universities in Bangkok several times a year. You must pass a written test and then verbal test in English before getting the license.

I leaned this info from a past girlfriend that wanted to obtain her tour guide card several years ago. This was back when the Russians were starting to invade Thailand as tourist.

They need to take a tour guide course to receive a licence. These are mostly at universities. Several universities in Bangkok (e.g. Siam Unviersity and Stamford University) offer these. They are normally in the Summer term. They are conducted in English.

To digress, a Tour guide is a restricted profession and not open to foreigners.

Thanks for the replies.

I did find another thread that had more discussion, although all links are not valid any more.

Unfortunately, there is still no CLEAR documented answer about the requirements so I will have her start making calls.