Finger Position On The Handlebars

CanInBKK

I was watching the Twist of the Wrist video and in one of the shots where roll-on/off are being discussed I noticed the rider's right hand gripping the throttle with all fingers (and thumb). It's always been a natural position for me to use my index and middle finger to "cover" the front brake at all times. So my question is this how do you position your right and left hands? For me it's right hand covers the brake with 2 fingers and left hand covers the clutch with all 4 (for reason if I only use 2 fingers on the clutch the other 2 fingers get in the way of fully squeezing the lever in).

Which ever way fits you is best. some guys cover the brake/clutch with one finger at all times, usually more often if they have a motorcross background it seems. When i'm riding around BKK i always cover brake/clutch with one finger but when i'm racing i don't, i only use 2 fingers to operate the brake but i think i use four for the clutch(will check next time at the track).

• Like 1

I cover the front brake when in traffic and more often that not I cover the clutch as well, just habit from learning to ride on small bore 2 strokes where you're constantly either feathering the clutch or changing gear.

On long stretches of open road I just keep my hands fully on the grips until something looks like it might start happening in front of me.

Around Bangkok, it's two fingers on the brake lever (most times). None on the clutch. I do clutchless upshifts, but downshift it's a single finger when required. Only need to pull it in slightly. Some days I don't bother just downshift without clutch.

Trackdays, I need all my fingers on the throttle and none on the brakes. :) It's the only way I stay off the brakes. :)

No fingers on the clutch. Only when shifting down. Shift up I don't bother with clutch.

• Like 1

I am not a good rider, but I keep at least my pinky fingers on the levers, often with the ring finger included. I've tried to use the index fingers, but it isn't as comfortable.

I'm with travelmate though, don't see the need except maybe the 1-2 shift to use the clutch on upshifts...

I do the same as most of you riders 2 on the brake lever , 4 on the clutch lever, I think the reason for 4 on the clutch came from my early years riding lean 2 stroke bikes which had a tendency to seize in the high rev power band area, that split second was the difference in falling off or not in most cases.

Edited by ib1b4

Two on the clutch and one on the front brake lever. Also, when riding in traffic I tend to cover the rear brake as well.

Riding in traffic without covering the front brake is, for me, a bit risky, as if something were to happen, I'd probably miss the darn brake lever!

open road with good visibilty i can relax and relax your hands on the bars

in bkk traffic at low speeds im always ready on the clutch and front brake

at higher speeds in crazy traffic im ready with clutch and my foot is ready on the back back brakes as well

I am not a good rider, but I keep at least my pinky fingers on the levers, often with the ring finger included.

Well, you know what they say about men with long pinky fingers......they can reach the brakes? J/K but seriously thanks to all for the inputs. It was a bit disconcerting to see a "professional" riding video using a grip that IMHO has less regard for safety; however, I can appreciate the difference between track and road.

When in traffic, two fingers poised to cover the brake and four on the clutch in case of shit happening.

When not in traffic all eight fingers on the grips.

I use my palm to blip the throttle on braking/downshifts ( four fingers on the brake ) and don't use the clutch at all on upshifts from 3rd to 6th with all eight fingers on the bars.

The middle finger of my right hand is extended to knob head car drivers if needed, then no fingers are on the throttle. Same goes for the left hand / clutch and if things are serious, both middle fingers are extended at the same time and no hands on the bars. But that's asking for trouble ain't it?

Edited by soihok

Having toured Europe many times it was always a joy to get on the german autobahns, of course there are limits at ausfarths, [exits] but i could hold the ZZR1100 at max speed a lot of the journey, 175mph solo, 165mph 2 up, with luggage, at these speeds, i would hover some fingers over the clutch, so if the engine or box blew, i would have a chance of survival, if a tyre blew, brakes wouldnt help atall, in town or a busy road, cover both, flat out, clutch only...

I do the same as most of you riders 2 on the brake lever , 4 on the clutch lever, I think the reason for 4 on the clutch came from my early years riding lean 2 stroke bikes which had a tendency to seize in the high rev power band area, that split second was the difference in falling off or not in most cases.

Had a 750 triple did youwai.gif