Are We Too Reliant On Technology Like GPS

astral

Solar flare races towards Earth, expected to cause disruptions to Earth's magnetic field

The largest solar flare in years is hurdling towards Earth at 4 million mph and is expected to hit early Thursday morning.

The largest solar flare in six years is racing toward Earth, threatening to unleash a torrent of charged particles that could disrupt power grids, GPS marine and air transport

The sun erupted Tuesday evening, and the effects should start smacking Earth around 7 a.m. EST Thursday, according to forecasters at the federal government's Space Weather Prediction Center. They say the flare is growing as it speeds outward from the sun.

These flares are not directly harmful to people but can affect the technological systems that we have become so reliant on.

In your car you may be rely on GPS for navigation, but the problem is more serious.

Maritime professionals lacking traditional skills could find themselves stranded without electronic navigational aids.

There is a looming threat to safety for ships, where many rely on GPS and electronic chart display and information systems,

unless the seafarers understand the basics of terrestrial navigation

Space storms are not new. The first major solar flare was recorded by British astronomer Richard Carrington in 1859.

Other solar geomagnetic storms have been observed in recent decades. One huge solar flare in 1972 cut off long-distance

telephone communication in the US state of Illinois.

Another similar flare in 1989 "provoked geomagnetic storms that disrupted electric power transmission" and caused blackouts across the Canadian province of Quebec.

There have been other lesser storms during the last 12 month

February 2011

June 2011

January 2012

These storms are likely to peak over the coming year

Yes.

Not only because of the risk of sun flares. In the event of any nuclear conflict one of the first things to occur would be an exo atmospheric detonation, the resultant electro magnetic pulse will set us back 10 years or more just in terms of trashed satellites and frazzled chips/motherboards (let alone what else such a conflict unleashed on us). There is an over reliance on many computer systems rather than using them as a back up to primary skills. For example, if you use GPS on a journey, you need to have looked at a map as a gross error check to make sure you are being taken to the right area at least. As with all these systems if you put garbage in you get garbage out.

• Like 1

Yes.

Not only because of the risk of sun flares. In the event of any nuclear conflict one of the first things to occur would be an exo atmospheric detonation, the resultant electro magnetic pulse will set us back 10 years or more just in terms of trashed satellites and frazzled chips/motherboards (let alone what else such a conflict unleashed on us). There is an over reliance on many computer systems rather than using them as a back up to primary skills. For example, if you use GPS on a journey, you need to have looked at a map as a gross error check to make sure you are being taken to the right area at least. As with all these systems if you put garbage in you get garbage out.

+1

How many people can do math in their head today? Or a sales person making change without the register telling them how much?

Yes.

+1

How many people can do math in their head today? Or a sales person making change without the register telling them how much?

Agreed.

I have a friend who is a Captain on one of the worlds major airlines. He was flying across the Indian ocean and for one reason and another they had a total navigational computer failure. He ended up having to reach in his bag and pull out what we call a 'whizz wheel', and wipe the dust off it. This thing is similar to a slide rule, but circular and was a godsend in helping calculate a whole variety of navigational data before the advent of computer systems. He said that the 20 mins he was working things out (naviagation, fuel etc) was not only the most enjoyable but the most taxing and mentally demanding 20 mins in 15 years of flying in the civilian sector.

Yes.

+1

'Doing maths in your head' isn't quite the same as spherical navigation.

We either rely on technology or go back to living in the dark ages. I'd rather rely on technology even if it does go wrong sometimes. But I do think that technology has made some people very stupid, because they now can't do anything themselves if they don't have it.

If anyone thinks we're too reliant on it, then stop using it. Simple.

When I had my first Nokia cell phone in the mid 90's I still memorized phone numbers and dialed them like I would if I were using a land line phone. I remember doing that because I knew I wouldn't always have my cell phone with me. Today, I couldn't tell you anyone else's phone number.

I've used GPS for driving but it's not a very good idea. You begin to rely on it too much and forget to actually read signs. What I love about it is being able to see how my ETA and how long my trip should take if I go the speed limit the entire way. Of course, I use this on long trips between cities, not for city driving.

Yes.

+1

Agreed.

I have a friend who is a Captain on one of the worlds major airlines. He was flying across the Indian ocean and for one reason and another they had a total navigational computer failure. He ended up having to reach in his bag and pull out what we call a 'whizz wheel', and wipe the dust off it. This thing is similar to a slide rule, but circular and was a godsend in helping calculate a whole variety of navigational data before the advent of computer systems. He said that the 20 mins he was working things out (naviagation, fuel etc) was not only the most enjoyable but the most taxing and mentally demanding 20 mins in 15 years of flying in the civilian sector.

Nice to know true skippers still exist!

Had a somewhat, although way less serious occurrence when sailing at night on autopilot and GPS. Threw off my shorts to answer a call , got below and "off course alarm" went.. curtailed my activity jumped up the companion way ..bloody shorts had landed on the GPS antennae. Certainly obviated any possibility of constipation...

Yes we are very reliant on electronic navigation, let's hope grey cell navigation skills are never to fall into disuse and are abandoned.

Yes.

+1

Spot on, how many people can read a map today? Dont know about the rest of the world but most telephone calls from and into the UK still use the underwater cables, I think the figure is 83% reason being if there were a sattelite mishap. The cables have been vastly improved from their original specs of course.

We either rely on technology or go back to living in the dark ages. I'd rather rely on technology even if it does go wrong sometimes. But I do think that technology has made some people very stupid, because they now can't do anything themselves if they don't have it.

A multi faceted question / dilemna.

Yes technology has improved health care (for those who can afford it).

Yes technology has improved our ease of life (mobile phones, rice cookers, etc etc.)

Yes having a maid has ........ , or has it just made us lazy?

In fact my Thai son is to some small extent angering his in laws because he's reduced the number of 'staff' at his house. His point is that children (he has 2) should grow up having to do chores, husband and wife should be active in taking care of laundry / yard maintenance, car cleaning, cooking etc., and should be using all of these activities as 'learning opportunities' for the children, with mum and dad as the teacher.

Edited by scorecard

A multi faceted question / dilemna.

Yes technology has improved health care (for those who can afford it).

Yes technology has improved our ease of life (mobile phones, rice cookers, etc etc.)

Yes having a maid has ........ , or has it just made us lazy?

In fact my Thai son is to some small extent angering his in laws because he's reduced the number of 'staff' at his house. His point is that children (he has 2) should grow up having to do chores, husband and wife should be active in taking care of laundry / yard maintenance, car cleaning, cooking etc., and should be using all of these activities as 'learning opportunities' for the children, with mum and dad as the teacher.

I agree, I grew up doing chores around the house and yard. I've got friends with sons around 13 yrs old yet they still hire other people to mow the grass among other things. Needless to say, I don't think the sons appreciate me telling their dads to make the kids work more around the house. :)

dam_n right!! I remember the days not too long ago infact, when it was paces and bearings for navigating through the jungle. Then came the GPS and i must admit it was a godsend when used only to confirm or deny your 'traditional nav' work. Then all of a sudden the younger generation paid lip service to paces and bearing and decided to walk through the bush, weapon in one hand, GPS in the other, head down, thumb up bum, continually looking at the GPS while what they should have been doing is looking out for more pressing matters. Technolgy is a great thing but cannot be relied upon completely so we would all do well to conserve and educate the new generation in the old, tried and tested methods that don't fail us. Facts and figures.