Thai Traffic Kills Another Swede

webfact

I've been told many times (I assume it's true) that the smaller vehicle is always right no matter what actually happened so the car pays.

I too have heard this but its not true. People who have 1st class insurance will often report an accident as a hit and run; for a small fee from the other driver in most cases; people with 3rd class or no insurance work it out themselves and I highly doubt any driver is going to pay for some idiot motorbike drivers mistake just because his vehicle is smaller.

Edited by Kilgore Trout
  • Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every single Thai know this. If in a serious accident, flee the scene. Then show yourself up at the nearest police station to report the accident after 2 days.

Just show me one case that driver did not flee the scene. I will prove to you that he/she is Farang.

Thats exactly what happened to the drunk driver that killed 3 members of my gf's family. He left his wrecked car at the scene and hid for a few days then came to talk to the police by which time they were not interested. The lies, bullshit and bravado from him when he turned himself in was unbelievable, even more unbelievable to me is he never even spent 1 night in jail and then refused to comply with the insurance company so the widow of father of the deceased could not get any compensation.

This wasnt some scumbag meth head either, this is a teacher in the local school and one of the kids he killed was a student of his.

We really come from different worlds.

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver. I drive a pick-up, could just as easily been a non-Thai....

Hardly "just as easily" considering the numbers of Thai and non-Thai drivers around, as well as the observation that non-Thais seem less likely to flee the scene of an accident.

I don't think it's Thai bashing at all. Just lamenting the lack of driving skills by the majority in this country and the lack of consideration shown by the majority to their fellows.

• Like 1

Flee an accident scene is a standard practice in Thailand.

It got nothing to do with responsibility.

It is a unique culture for Thai.

I don't know if it is in the Thai DNA, or was it written in the Thai highway code, or taught in school.

Every single Thai know this. If in a serious accident, flee the scene. Then show yourself up at the nearest police station to report the accident after 2 days.

Just show me one case that driver did not flee the scene. I will prove to you that he/she is Farang.

It has everything to do with responsibility. It's a citizen's responsibility to follow the law.

I find your claim that you can 'prove' someone is farang just because they didn't flee the scene quite astounding. Maybe the reason you think it has nothing to do with responsibility is because you aren't capable of logical thought?

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver. I drive a pick-up, could just as easily been a non-Thai....

Hardly "just as easily" considering the numbers of Thai and non-Thai drivers around, as well as the observation that non-Thais seem less likely to flee the scene of an accident.

I don't think it's Thai bashing at all. Just lamenting the lack of driving skills by the majority in this country and the lack of consideration shown by the majority to their fellows.

Flee is not a lack of consideration.

It is the standard procedure.

One girl (Paewa) panic and forgot to flee. She try to txt for help. Her photo got famous in facebook. She ends up in more trouble that she had expected.

Flee is not a lack of consideration.

It is the standard procedure.

One girl (Paewa) panic and forgot to flee. She try to txt for help. Her photo got famous in facebook. She ends up in more trouble that she had expected.

So... can you prove that 'Paewa' is farang, as you claim to be able to do?

Just because something is common and 'standard procedure' does not mean it is right, reasonable, considerate, caring, helpful, just or lawful. That's something that you, and the vast majority of Thais, fail to understand.

I've been told many times (I assume it's true) that the smaller vehicle is always right no matter what actually happened so the car pays. So people do avoid them even when they are riding like idiots, so thats most motorbikes.

your assumption is wrong...I clattered a motorbike taxi some years ago near Ekamai in BKK and the bike was completely in the wrong, trying to cut in front of me.... PC plod was standing right there and seen it happen... Mr motorbike taxi tried it on as regards me paying and the Plod sent him on his way stating he would charge him with dangerous driving...so in this instance the smaller vehicle wasnt right

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Hmmmm... the only difference between here and home is the fact that the drivers usually flee the scene here. Considering the number of motorcycles on the roads here, I would bet the average number of motorcycle fatalities by percentage is quite a bit lower than it is at home. Not to mention bikes are generally traveling at higher speeds at home than they are here. Then again, helmet laws are stricter at home so.......

Still sad though...especially because he was just cruising along....could happen to any one of us...anywhere.

RIP

Where is your "home".... SILVERSTONE ? violin.gif

Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

Are you sure that "stealing land and money from each other" doesn't happen 'back home' - wherever that may be in your case.

This story is an example of the problems here and the solution is obvious.

Two months ago I bought my girlfriend a new car, Honda City, stationary at the traffic lights a truck ploughed into a man and young boy on a m/bike then into a car then into my g/f damage door,wing, window smashed and a wing mirror, woman got out and said she had no brakes, truck looked about 30 yrs old and was a heap of crap, the male passenger got out of this crap truck and stated that there is not much damage but police and rescue {I use the term loosely} and took both m/bike victims to hospital with serious injuries and everyone else goes to the police station.

Police ask my g/f if she is seeking compensation for possible injuries, no says she just the repair of my car, after chatting with the female driver of the truck the policeman returns and tells the g/f that the truck driver does not have insurance and cannot pay for the hospitalisation of the man and boy so g/fs insurance will have to pay, no way and she explains that she is a government lawyer and phones her big boss who speaks to the BIB and their attitude rapidly changed so why was the truck driver not charged with dangerous driving and several other acts, is insurance here compulsory? I have always had it but don't know for sure. And the old truck is still being driven.

The victims seem to have in common that they all drive motorbike. I bet that most of the foreigners drive one at home, while driving on the right side of the road. I eat my shoes when the victims had a drivers license for a motorbike. It looks to me that Thai Visa is out on reporting as many deadly accidents as possible. It is called an accident because it does not happen on purpose. Look at the statistics and one will notice that the number of accidents that end in injury or dead in rural America is even bigger than in Thailand.

Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

Are you sure that "stealing land and money from each other" doesn't happen 'back home' - wherever that may be in your case.

It must also happen, but never from personal experience or close encounters. Considering the relatively shorter time I've spent in Thailand and the much more limited experiences I have with people here, I'm surprised at how low people will go to get all they can.

• Like 1

The victims seem to have in common that they all drive motorbike. I bet that most of the foreigners drive one at home, while driving on the right side of the road. I eat my shoes when the victims had a drivers license for a motorbike. It looks to me that Thai Visa is out on reporting as many deadly accidents as possible. It is called an accident because it does not happen on purpose. Look at the statistics and one will notice that the number of accidents that end in injury or dead in rural America is even bigger than in Thailand.

Kind of missing the point.

I've been told many times (I assume it's true) that the smaller vehicle is always right no matter what actually happened so the car pays. So people do avoid them even when they are riding like idiots, so thats most motorbikes.

I believe this is partly true. Like in some European countries, to avoid endless legal battles, car insurance must pay where a car and a bicycle / moped / motorbike are involved. Which doesn't mean that you will be convicted just because the car insurance must pay.

However, my Thai car insurance (unlike the police) "charged me" with reckless driving after they had aid a few hundred thousand baht in damages resulting from a motorbike hitting my STATIONARY car (the motorbike rider admitted being under the influence of prescription drugs which prohibited him from riding / driving). The insurance deemed it appropriate to cut my no-claim discount, refused to use their brains, so I walked out and changed insurers.

• Like 1

Thai drivers seem to have no respect at all for riders of motorbikes. Why? Because if there's an accident, they can always carry on driving. Too many people here have no consideration for the well-being of others. Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

The problem is the chang , whiskey and no insurance for most.

The car/pick up drivers pissed up and with no insurance are likely to run instead of paying. People with newer cars who have insured them are careful to avoid the motorbikes knowing most while riding them are stupid and it will just cost them money if they crash.

Until people in this country take responsibility for their actions or are made to nothing will change, but with laws like the above(if true) why would it ? Do what you like and someone else will pay for you even though it's caused by your own stupidity and usually drunkness.

Within 5 minutes of each other at the petrol station early this week one coach comes in driving like Lewis Hamilton, pulls up for petrol and gets out barely able to stand up with can of chang in hand shortly followed by a pick up driver who gets out and starts going round his pick up inspecting the suspension. Once he got back up it was easy to work out what he was doing. He thought the pick up was swaying. It wasn't the pick up that was swaying from side to side, it was him.

RIP>

It's not a law that the bigger vehicle in any collision is at fault, but a cultural custom. If you have the evidence and the witnesses to back you up in court that you are in the right, and if the court is fair and uncorrupt, you will win the case.

But those are big ifs, and most collision cases don't go to court but are settled on the spot, where everybody including the police follows cultural custom, not the law. Except for you, the farang, who is left speechless at the unfairness of it all.

Edited by spr&q
  • Like 2

It must also happen, but never from personal experience or close encounters. Considering the relatively shorter time I've spent in Thailand and the much more limited experiences I have with people here, I'm surprised at how low people will go to get all they can.

One possible explanation for Thai being "always after money" - as perceived by many non-Thai - is that, unlike western countries, Thailand is not a welfare state, which means many people have to "fight" for their subsistence.

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities ? Thai drivers think they are the best in the world , in a country where no one go to school for that purpose these daily accidents don't surprise me . Thai road are deadly , just be aware of this reality. I have been driving 20 years here and have seen so many mistakes , over speeding , racing between buses , ignorance of international traffic regulation etc ...etc .. the list is too long .

Almost certainly to avoid being found out as drunk or on drugs. They flee when they know they will eventually be caught is because they are drunk or on drugs and need to detoxify before giving themselves in. Presumably the penalty for fleeing the scene of an accident is less than driving whilst under the influence or in possession.

• Like 1

Flee an accident scene is a standard practice in Thailand.

It got nothing to do with responsibility.

It is a unique culture for Thai.

It's not unique to Thai's it's the same in Indonesia.

Fair point but....in terms of statisical probability.....in all likelyhood the driver would be ???

But would a farang driver run away?

One possible explanation for Thai being "always after money" - as perceived by many non-Thai - is that, unlike western countries, Thailand is not a welfare state, which means many people have to "fight" for their subsistence.

So what u are saying is that poverty leads to theft, murder and dishonesty? If then why do some of the richest Thais behave in this way and many poor do not. I completely disagree with your notion. Some of the most honest Thais I have met have been poor and have read the opposite for the ruling elite in this country.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

So what u are saying is that poverty leads to theft, murder and dishonesty? If then why do some of the richest Thais behave in this way and many poor do not. I completely disagree with your notion. Some of the most honest Thais I have met have been poor and have read the opposite for the ruling elite in this country.

May I suggest that you take a comprehensive reading comprehension course?

in my home country or any civilized country they call motorbikes donorbikes

and overthere they have rules, regulations and penalties...

this is a lawless zone when it comes to road safety and they value a life even less than in china

Are the laws/treatment by authorities extremely harsh against drunk or any drivers who hit another vehicle/person in traffic or are a significant number of people in thailand just to lazy and irresponsible to face the music????

Anyway, sad for the victim, hope they catch the hit and runners responsible

RIP

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities?

You have been here 20 years and you need to ask that? Ive been here only a few years and knew the answer long ago.

A few months ago my gf's cousin and two children were killed by a drunk driver who wrecked his car so badly that his friends picked him in their own car to flee the scene as he left at least two of the victims to die in the road who probably wouldve survived if they had received any medical treatment. My gf was devasted by the loss and furious at the guy for being so irresponsible.

A few days ago we are driving through the countryside and we come upon what looks like the result of a hit and run so I slow down to investigiate and help if needed. Straight away I was yelled at not to stop and help as if it was an accident I would be the one to blame for everything.

Fortunately when we drove past turns out it was just some rubbish that had been scattered across the road next to skid marks from a past accident.

So there is your answer.

if your partner told you to drive on, then that should be your cue to move on. this heartless person will walk away from you some day when you are hurt or injured. probably from their hand. angry.png

Wow thanks for solving my whole life for me based on one story about someone you know nothing about. Just another example of a loser on TV who thinks he knows it all and preaches from his keyboard.

Rue the day, my friend, rue the day. ANYONE who choses to drive by an accident scene is no good. you will learn this the hard way. maybe not today but sometime. if you cant see the irresponsibility in this.......... then you are made for one another. first impressions last..... you must be familiar with this. have a good life, not gonna be good with someone as heartless as this around you. at a guess I would say you are English. Pussy whipped and you are the bitch in this relationship. I could be wrong. unlikely............. but I could be right.

• Like 1