My Non-Flight With Jet.

O.K., I was due to fly (one way ticket) with Jet airlines the other day to Thailand for some fun, sun and other stuff.

I went to bed and developed severe stomach ache so got very little sleep. When I got up I realised I was not feeling too good. Maybe best not to travel. I phoned Jet in the U.K. to ask about getting an alternative date or cancelling the flight. Very short notice as I would be flying in under 12 hours time.

They gave me two alternatives. £400 to change the flight date (on a £308 flight at time of booking) or £193 refund if I cancelled. I told them I'd phone back.

I started to feel a little better. I decided to travel.

Train to London non-stop from York. Slept well. Felt even better. Tube from Kings Cross to Heathrow and pains started right hand side. Felt queasy.

After walking to check-in I felt reasonable again and checked in. After 30 minutes sitting, pains getting worse again and I opted to see an airport Paramedic. End result was he said I could not fly - that was fair enough, his decision. Ambulance called and I was taken to hospital.

Airport security went to Jet and cancelled my flight on medical grounds and to cancel my checked in baggage. Security told me they have a rule to put me on another flight when doctors say I cannot fly (better than £400 to change the flight).

Turns out it was acute appendicitis. Operated on and now sent home.

The point of the post?

Maybe I should have had travel insurance but in all my years of travel have never had any incident. Another point being is that I get a free transfer of flight and not have to pay £400.

Most of all I am so glad I asked to see the Paramedic. Imagine what might have happened say 2 hours into the flight if the appendix had burst or whatever (the surgeon did say it was a bad case after he opened me up and had a look). Also could have been very expensive to have hospitalisation and operation 'somewhere'. Or, heaven forbid, death.

And all from stomach ache the night before the evening flight.

See, you never really know what might happen.

You're lucky.

One easy way to tell if you have appendicitis is simply jump up in place.

When you land, and you pick yourself off the floor in pain, go to the hospital, it's 99.9% appendiciits.

If you aren't on the floor, excellent chance its some gastrointestinal disturbance.

This is an Emergency Room simple triage test.

Of course, having a medic check you out is the best.

You're lucky.

One easy way to tell if you have appendicitis is simply jump up in place.

When you land, and you pick yourself off the floor in pain, go to the hospital, it's 99.9% appendiciits.

If you aren't on the floor, excellent chance its some gastrointestinal disturbance.

This is an Emergency Room simple triage test.

Of course, having a medic check you out is the best.

Eh?

The staff at the desk, the security guard who stayed with me constantly and the paramedic at Heathrow who attended me were all brilliant. Everything was done for me, the arrangements with the airline cancellation, a room to wait in, the ambulance called, even down to the Filipino nurse at the hospital who took great care of me on arrival.

The hospital was a different matter altogether but I'll not go too deeply into that.

On Monday I see my local dorctor's nurse. She will assess my current situation and give me the information the hospital never did about my stitches (soluble or not) and how soon I can fly.

Medical insurance for me that covers most major events is a no-no and pretty much a waste of time. Travel insurance would not have given me much more than I got already except maybe travel home that I arranged myself.

To have had urine / blood and other tests done in the 4 weeks between my arrival back in the UK and before my flight flight all being passed, I was happy, as usual, to fly back to Thailand. I certainly would not have expected to develop such a painful illness as appendicitis in such a short time and with no prior warning but I am glad it happened when it did. Better on land than in the air.

But it just goes to show that you never really know what is waiting around that next corner in life.

Now I am missing 3 bits of my anatomy maybe I can get a reduction on future flights LOL.

You are so lucky, hope you recover quickly and can make your trip. I've seen the paramedics at Heathrow in action and they are really really good.

As for jumping up-I never heard of that it is an awesome tip-thanks.

Thanks for that. I am already walking well and the pain is receding daily. With luck I'll be on a flight this next week, but that is now up to others to decide for me.

I am missing Thailand and all it has to offer.

Ouch... I suffered a ruptured appendix last year and it cost 150K in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (on Insurance).. The pain subsiding was probably a result of the appendix rupturing, I remember feeling better too, so much that I discharged myself from the Emergency Room after telling them that they are over-reacting by wanting to keep me in.. Of course 6 hours later I was back again with my tail between my legs..

But I can't imagine how much you would have suffered on that flight, if you had flown, especially not being comfortable in the seat. You are a lucky man.

I remember how much it hurts!! like you i had it the day before i was due to fly but in my case it did ease up until i had been in Thailand for over a week(had put it down to the curry the night before!).After waking up in agony was taken to a government hospital where i spent 4 memorable days .Was treated very well though and only cost 17K , have after found out it would have been around 70K in an International Hospital but like you counting my blessings it didn't happen on the flight.

The most certain way to know if you have appendicitis i,ve been told afterwards of course is to press on stomach and if have pain on release of pressure get yourself to the hospital.

Took me a few weeks to recover fully but should think it won't affect you flying too much, would be more concerned about the length of the queue at immigration .

Wish you a speedy recovery and enjoy your time here.

Ouch... I suffered a ruptured appendix last year and it cost 150K in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (on Insurance).. The pain subsiding was probably a result of the appendix rupturing, I remember feeling better too, so much that I discharged myself from the Emergency Room after telling them that they are over-reacting by wanting to keep me in.. Of course 6 hours later I was back again with my tail between my legs..

But I can't imagine how much you would have suffered on that flight, if you had flown, especially not being comfortable in the seat. You are a lucky man.

I remember how much it hurts!! like you i had it the day before i was due to fly but in my case it did ease up until i had been in Thailand for over a week(had put it down to the curry the night before!).After waking up in agony was taken to a government hospital where i spent 4 memorable days .Was treated very well though and only cost 17K , have after found out it would have been around 70K in an International Hospital but like you counting my blessings it didn't happen on the flight.

The most certain way to know if you have appendicitis i,ve been told afterwards of course is to press on stomach and if have pain on release of pressure get yourself to the hospital.

Took me a few weeks to recover fully but should think it won't affect you flying too much, would be more concerned about the length of the queue at immigration .

Wish you a speedy recovery and enjoy your time here.

I do feel very lucky to have had it discovered before the flight itself. And, yes, it is dam_ed painful LOL.

Considering all the checks I had done here at the doctors before leaving the appendicitis came as an even bigger surprise. Even the paramedic and doctors were unsure of the diagnosis until they cut me open. I must be awkward not to have the right pains in the right area :P

Your posts show the vast difference in prices between 2 very different types of hospital.

I had keyhole surgery done and have been told to expect pain for 3-6 weeks depending. Obviously the older you get the longer it can take to recuperate. I do feel better by the day and am hoping I get the all clear on a date to fly after seeing the nurse at the local surgery today.

If there are no problems found I feel I can recuperate as well in Thailand as I can here. And I am really looking forward to coming back.

No joke topics please, it only hurts when I laugh :)

insurance does not cover a closed down airline.

insurance does not cover a closed down airline.

i don't remember an airline being closed down in the op's story?

I think what the poster was getting at is Jet could be going the same way as Kingfisher (ie) running out of cash.