Immigration Goes High-Tech, Costs You Another B90

Passengers to pay Immigration check

http://www.ttrweekly...igration-check/

A page right out of the American playbook. Run a service down, create another service and then charge for that service. What a deal! Of course it is a scam...

"Critics may argue that would be cheaper to man all the immigration counters at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Usually 50% of all available counters are closed during peak hour traffic."

Edited by bangkokburning

Reading this it makes a lot of sense.

Why queue to check in then queue for immigration. Both times the passport is checked.

The report talks of passport number, family name and nationality passed from the check in counter to immigration, maybe date of birth. If it meant just one check instead of two then I would fully support it.

Have to agree that we should not pay more, after all the system should save staff and money for immigration?

coffee1.gif Has absolutely nothing to do with passengers. It is a passenger security vetting system disguised as a "service" for passengers.

You need to read that article more slowly...what is discribing is how your passport data and identity details are being shared with "passengers respective governments" and airlines.

Every time you check in for an international flight your name is already scaned into a local database at your exit and entry points. Has been that way for many years.

Now what they are going to is cordinating those databases internationaly...and the airlines are the ones that will do it.

That nonsense about "pre-clearing passengers" simply means they are doing a name/personal data check/identity against a blacklist when you check in.

Now in theory being pre-cleared COULD cut done processing time at immigration,,,,but that will require you to have a passport that can be read when you enter or exit at immigration.

If you don't, it will still have to be verified manually by someone at the immigration desk.

End result...it will take longer.

THe fee will probably be added to your ticket cost...you've a;ready been paying yor airport departure tax in your ticket cost for some years now.

Bet you didn't know ypu paid an airport departure tax on exit, did you?

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

No, I do not want everyone and their dog to know my details.

But by the time I have flown the country I leave, the country I go to and the airline all have my details. If the airline could pass ONLY to the two countries concerned (and not the USA) it can have advantages to me.

Firstly the airline will not try to stop me flying because I might not be allowed entry - this has happened to me on a number of occassions.

Secondly if I am pre-cleared there can be a faster immigration / emmigration process.

Not that there is much information in a passport if you only pass on names, sex, Date of Birth and nationality. Height, occupation and identifying marks have all dissappeared over the years. Much more worrying is the passing of credit card details, address, religion, meal preference etc etc required by some countries.

Yes I do know the taxes on my tickets, 700 Baht out of Thailand, about £100 out of the UK. Plus taxes in the Middle East. Often taxes are around 50% of my ticket price.

You lose the bet, please PM me my Chang! drunk.gif