2 Americans Injured As Taxi Bust Into Flames

george

2 injured as taxi rams bus, bursts into flames

BANGKOK: A taxi burst into flames yesterday morning after it crashed into a bus on Sri Ayutthaya Road in Bangkok's Dusit district.

Two Americans travelling in the taxi were injured.

The Americans, who complained of headaches after the accident, remain in hospital for observation.

A fire truck raced to the scene of the accident and firefighters took about 15 minutes to put the fire out.

The 70 passengers on the bus, along with the driver, Supasit Phromrangsri, were not injured.

The driver of the taxi, Yodrak Wangmarn, also escaped injury.

Supasit said the taxi ran a red light, slammed into the front of the bus, and overturned several times before being engulfed by flames.

Yodrak denied that he ran a red light.

Details of how Yodrak and his passengers managed to get out of the taxi before it burst into flames are unavailable.

Deputy Interior Minister Pramual Rujanaseri, who inspected the scene, said police were investigating to determine who was responsible for the accident.

He said the government would provide medical care for the injured foreigners.

Following the accident, Pramual and the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department's Director General Saroch Kutchamart held a press conference on precautionary measures to be taken ahead of Chinese New Year from January 20 to 22. A high number of fires and road accidents were usually reported during this period, Pramual said, quoting statistics.

"We have set up a centre to strictly enforce laws against drunk driving and other traffic offences," Pramual said.

He said he had also sought co-operation from police, public health officials, hospitals and local foundations to assist with supplying round-the-clock mobile units to act in emergencies.

"Ambulances, medical equipment and fire extinguishers must be on hand," Pramual said.

He said people could report emergencies by calling 1784.

He also urged people to take extra care when cooking or around fire.

--The Nation 2004-01-19

Interesting to see that the authorities are focusing on fire prevention!

I have to say in my experience most taxi drivers have a blatant disregard for life... theirs, their fares’, Motorcycles and pedestrian's. I personally dread entering a taxi.

I would encourage the government to implement training programs in safe driving technique and social awareness for all taxi/bus/tuk tuk (public vehicles) drivers. I even support raising the fares to pay for this. For a country / government focused on tourism this would see a worthwhile investment.

On flip side I think that any driver of any public vehicle who drives in any way as to endanger the wellbeing (physical or mental) of others, should be severely, punished. Too often they are let off because they have "no way to pay" ie no money. If they have no money that is not a license to behave recklessly. They should be publicly punished, where every other public vehicle operator will see... make a loud public example out of these terrorists armed with motorized weapons!