Sat Nav Covering Thailand In English

Dave the Dude

I am taking my NUVI 360 with me to Thailand along with a SD chip. I understand the shop in Pantip will need to contact Garmin to get the unlock code for my unit. Then we will load the map.

Expensive 10,000baht

That is correct. If you want to buy the map (City Navigator V.7) you will need to provide the following information: model, serial number and ID of the unit. Based on this the ESRI (in Bangkok) will prepare a map for your unit (only). Actually the price of this software is 11.200,- Baht (inc.tax).

Are you telling me no one has found a way to copy these maps yet, at 11,000bt a hit I would say there is a way around it. Mobile phones can be unlocked so why not GPS units.

to get the unlock code garmin needs the unit serial# AND unit ID.

havent heard of any way yet to get the unlock code the cheap way.

wouldnt even buy it. the software its worth its price.

• 8 months later...
Dave the Dude, thanks for the info. I went to ESRI hoping to get the Nuvi 350, ... got the usual, "yes in stock" on the phone. and "sorry out of stock" on site. Still trying to decide which to get.

Curiosity: have you already fund a unit for yourself? And what is it?

Hi ( a belated Hi, 9 MONTHS!)

I ended up buying a Mio digiwalker C520. It has ESRI mapping with 1 year upgrades, Bluetooth, picture&MP3 library(dont need it). widescreen and a HUGE database of PIO (this makes plotting routes more difficult, than easy though). I am very happy with the item but registration with Mio was a nightmare process.

Being used to simple GPS units in the UK where everywhere has a postcode, I've found this has taken a while to get used to but I'm a slow learner ! :o Coverage is good here in Issan including most dirt-tracks/roads (except mine)

At b16,500 (plus 1k free Caltex benzine vouchers) I think its a very good buy and the same price as a BASIC Garmin item, with the same maps. Bluetooth capability is a plus point (see other threads re handsfree and BiB) PLUS the language can be easily switched between Engrish and Thai (for her indoors)

Happy motoring

Dave :D

I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2610. I have been using Rotweiler maps and although the maps are usable, there were quite a few glitches. I ordered the Version 8 ESRI map from Gadget Trend and received the CF card today. I opted to buy a new one gig CF card rather than fool around copying to my existing card. Had they not lowered the map price from 12,000 baht to 7,000 baht, I would not have bought it. I must say that I am very impressed with the map. All the glitches I had with the Rotweiler map don't exist with the new ESRI map. I'm very satisfied. Everything is in English and I don't see any option for Thai. I would guess it's available in either Thai or English but not both.

I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2610. I have been using Rotweiler maps and although the maps are usable, there were quite a few glitches. I ordered the Version 8 ESRI map from Gadget Trend and received the CF card today. I opted to buy a new one gig CF card rather than fool around copying to my existing card. Had they not lowered the map price from 12,000 baht to 7,000 baht, I would not have bought it. I must say that I am very impressed with the map. All the glitches I had with the Rotweiler map don't exist with the new ESRI map. I'm very satisfied. Everything is in English and I don't see any option for Thai. I would guess it's available in either Thai or English but not both.

Hi Gary

Just to expand on my previous thread about my new Mio GPS, I recieved on one CD the Thai maps in two versions. one folder for maps with POI and all details in English and another folder on CD for same map details in Thai. To go from one to the other is a further download thru your PC.

As for the 'talking side' of the MIO, its an easy switch (Thai/English) with a couple of taps on the screen

Good luck

Dave

Hi Gary

Just to expand on my previous thread about my new Mio GPS, I recieved on one CD the Thai maps in two versions. one folder for maps with POI and all details in English and another folder on CD for same map details in Thai. To go from one to the other is a further download thru your PC.

As for the 'talking side' of the MIO, its an easy switch (Thai/English) with a couple of taps on the screen

Good luck

Dave

Actually if it is Thai capable, I wouldn't tell my wife. It would be constantly switched back and forth. I have that situation with the TV, :o

I'm quite happy with everything but I do wish I could display that same map on my home computer. By having the Rotweiler map also, it is possible to transfer routes and waypoints between the computer and the GPS but they do auto route a little differently. Another nice thing about Rotweiler is that I can look at the route on Google Earth.