False Malibu Served ?

phompen

I drink often Malibu for years (the white bottle with a coconut, but I guess everyone know that drink...)

and I have noticed, 2 times I've asked for Malibu and there were strange coconut very little part inside,

and the taste is not exactly the same... but I've seen the waiter/waitress serving the original Malibu bottle,

so my question is : do you think they could refill these bottles with a low cost rum + local thai coconut juice ?

After I felt some pain to stomach + little headeach, what I've never felt with a bottle of Malibu bought by myself...

at 120 bahts the little glass of maybe 4cl, the gross profit made on a sigle bottle would be 2000 bahts !

The original bottle is sold for 800 bahts at 7/11, so maybe they can buy it from a wholesaler at maybe 500 bahts ?

but if they would refill an original bottle it would be maybe 100-200 bahts... ??

Malibu or other alcools, do you think it's a common practice in Thailand to refill an original bottle ?

I have been told of an old bar girl trick, sure its true. The bars use very tall drink coolers (stubbie holders) to put the bottle of drink in, typically spy etc. This is done by the BG's with the BG's drink. They drink just below the top of the drink cooler so that if you looked you would not know if it is empty or otherwise. You proceed with another round for you and your lady, same thing happens. The two halves become one, and purchased on the third round, she does'nt need to drink as much as youself a has the benefit of pocketing the full price of 1 lady drink per 3 rounds.

crafty little buggers aren't they.

coffee1.gif Depends on the bar and the bar owner.

Some won't "refill" the bottle and put it back...some do.

So it's entirely possible it could happen.

Often though, it's more common for the common boose to be "refilled"....if you order rum and coke it is assumed you don't care to much about the quality of the rum...if you order Baccardi and coke, that's different.

Bottom line though...it depends on what the owner lets the staff get away with...and how much he wants the small extra profit.

Most of the time it isn't the staff that gets the profit, it's the owner.

So, don't go back to that bar if it annoys you...and be sure to politely let the owner know why you won't be back.

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I thought it was funny, I liken it collecting bottles and cans, fairly cheap. I don't drink in bars these days, married man and all. I don't think I could enjoy the bar scene like a newbie, you just can ignore whats really at play when you know what is really at play. And I don't just mean refilling.

"do you think it's a common practice in Thailand to refill an original bottle"? ............Sure they do.

There are less reputable drinking spots in the UK, and every where else in the world that will do this, so why not Thailand. That’s why a lot of countries have a weights and measures dept, (normally attached to the countries trading standards office) that do spot checks and measures the spirits by their gravity to help prevent this.

I’m sure as well that Thailand will have legislation regarding this……I just don’t think it’s acted on.

Edited by metisdead
Use the default forum font when posting.

New South Wales pubs in Australia used to pitt the bottom of schooner and pint glasses so they could water down kegs but still make the beer head nicely. It became so well know that South Australia outlawed the practice stipulating the bottom of beer glasses must be smooth and not rough.

ok I didn't know it is a common practice...

but what surprised me is the fact I often drink Malibu when I go out, and it's the first time I taste a weird Malibu and 2 times on the same evening at 2 differents mobile bars on Sukhumvit, BKK, so I guess there is an artisanal "wholesaler" who maybe visit bars recently to offer his own product to refill some bottles... the 2 weird Malibu were exactly the same taste with very little part of coconut inside

if it's more easy to discover for Malibu (because I always drink without additives like pineapple juice and no ice) I guess for a rum coke it's easy to put a cheaper rum inside... almost impossible to detect !

Now on few types of bar I think I will order beers only... :-(

I think Malibu is nice but don't drink it often. The bottles may have a limited shelf life in a tropic environment, given that it's not the most commonly consumed mixer it may be a case of it just being beyod it's prime.

I've known plenty of guys who would do with their personal booze stash. Buy an expensive bottle of each type of liquor, then refill it with cheap stuff, so that when chicks are over they wouldn't know they were being given the cheap stuff. Mix it with pineapple juice and no one can tell drunk.gif

I've known plenty of guys who would do with their personal booze stash. Buy an expensive bottle of each type of liquor, then refill it with cheap stuff, so that when chicks are over they wouldn't know they were being given the cheap stuff. Mix it with pineapple juice and no one can tell drunk.gif

S-H-I-T……I’ve been rumbled!

Possible? Yes. Probable? definitely !!

Many years ago in a bar in Songkhla I ordered a Gin+Tonic...

After taking a sip it was clear this was not a Gin+Tonic. I asked to see the bottle, and there it was, a bottle of Gordons.

Hmm.. so I asked to see the Tequila, and there it was a bottle of Tequila.

So, I smelt the bottles at which time it was blatantly clear what had occurred. Tequila had been decanted into the Gin, and Gin had been decanted into the Tequila.

The bar owner didn't bat an eyelid !

After taking a sip it was clear this was not a Gin+Tonic. I asked to see the bottle, and there it was, a bottle of Gordons.

So, I smelt the bottles at which time it was blatantly clear what had occurred. Tequila had been decanted into the Gin, and Gin had been decanted into the Tequila.

Ha ha……Why should he, (Thai logic)……..He has your money……..The fact that you and possible your mates might drink there all night, he would sooner <deleted>*k you off than sort it out….Talk about cutting the nose of to spite the face!

Haha Gordon's was what we used to pour in to bottles of Tanqueray. If you're gonna fake it might as well aim higher than Gordons.

There is an asian guy I know who brings in his bottle of Black Label to impress the ladies. He gets lots of attention and free gropes from these happy females all for the price if cheap whisky in an expensive bottle. The ladies do not know the difference because they always have the whisky with coke or some other mixer.

When the label on the bottle gets damaged too much he then goes out and buys another.

Not only bars that are at it ;)

Haha Gordon's was what we used to pour in to bottles of Tanqueray. If you're gonna fake it might as well aim higher than Gordons.

A bit unfair me feels, (going pirate there) Gordon’s is fine, (have sobbed me eyes out to Gordon’s) just as much as Tanqueray, I’ve just been left with more dosh left in me pocket in the morning after.

There is an asian guy I know who brings in his bottle of Black Label to impress the ladies. He gets lots of attention and free gropes from these happy females all for the price if cheap whisky in an expensive bottle. The ladies do not know the difference because they always have the whisky with coke or some other mixer.

When the label on the bottle gets damaged too much he then goes out and buys another.

Not only bars that are at it wink.png

seems like a great idea but im not shy to bring my own bottles ahaa

my sister worked in an upmarket hotel in the uk

the basement was a nightclub ,packed with young rich hi-so students every night of the week

before the shift started the manager gave out funnells had them filling the smirnoff and absolut bottles above the bar with cheap vodka like budget tesco brands that cost a few quid a bottle (maybe a third of the price of the good stuff )

same for jose cuervo tequila ,gin and all the whiskys

they must have been making an absolute mint ,one customer orders a double vodka + redbull mixer could pay for the whole litre of vodka

and this was in a really upmarket place with a expensive hotel upstairs

if anyone thinks its not happening in thailand ...........well, enough said

Edited by wana

A bit unfair me feels, (going pirate there) Gordon’s is fine, (have sobbed me eyes out to Gordon’s) just as much as Tanqueray, I’ve just been left with more dosh left in me pocket in the morning after.

Hey man Gordon's is fine with me...but some chicks don't understand and appreciate the Gordon's, unless you pour it in to a bottle of Tanqueray first drunk.gif