Changing Handle Bar Grips

big c have some cheap ones ,they can be tricky to get on

i ripped one once trying to get it on

bike shops have more expensive ones ,all the way up to anti vibration gel type ones

depends how much u like to spend

One post has been removed please see the following rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

One post has been removed please see the following rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

So you want to answer a specific part of someones post, so highlight it in colour. Not allowed you say Mr Rimmer, well how ridiculous....shakes one's head..............

AF i agree with Tyler, Renthal grips are probably the best out there and last a long time, get what you pay for kinda thing!!!!

I am not sure there are sizing issues with Renthal, but I told the seller I planned to put them on a CBR250R. He didn't mention anything about size so I'm not sure if that is going to be a problem. I do hope it isn't. Anyway, they haven't arrived yet as I just ordered them yesterday in fact. The ones I ordered are the medium compound (not too soft & not too hard) and the mixed grip design which offers a blend of their waffle and diamond design in one. See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370248913384&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123#ht_1320wt_1051

This is response I got from the eBay seller regarding the sizing on the Renthal grips. Again note that my bike is a Honda CBR250R:

"The grips will fit your bike, the only different size they do are for custom bikes etc which have 1" bars"

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Renthal grips from the UK eBay seller the other day. I asked him if I will need to cut holes on the back end of the grips because my bike has bar end weights. He said no cutting needed, but he was very wrong. After I mounted them on the bike I used a razor blade to cut a small circular section out of the back end of each of the grips so I could screw the bar end weights back in.

Here is how I did the removal and install:

Removed both existing grips with a razor blade. The throttle side had no glue holding it on so no cleanup needed. The clutch side handle bar had a bit of rubber cement residue on the bar so just rubbed it off with my finger before putting the new one on.

The throttle side handle bar was thicker and serrated so I poured just a bit of dish washing liquid inside the grip to slip it on. Once it was in place no movement of the new grip so no glue needed or anything to hold it in place. Snug alrwady.

On the clutch side handle bar the grip went on easily and was sliding around once I put it on so I took it back off, poured a bit of clear silicone waterproofing sealant gel inside the grip and put it back on. Now it's on there good and tight.

The bar end weight screws were a problem to take out. Had to have the dealer do it. Needed a whack with a hammer on the screwdriver to lossen them for some reason. They told me after I put the new grips on to put the bar end weights back on as tight as I could muself and then bring the bike back to them and they will tighten them for me again so that the screws are snug. Will do that tomorrow.

Easy peasy and didn't spend the extra money for the Renthal grip glue being offered by the eBay seller. Not needed if you have some silicone around like I did or some rubber cement and only needed on one side.

Grips feel nice!

Hey Tyler. Thanks for that. I ordered a set myself from e-bay last week, just waiting for them to turn up. I went for the firm compound full diamond. Can't wait to get them on, the current grips on my bike have literally fallen apart in the heat, nasty really as they leave a sticky residue on your hands.

Your welcome. Sounds like yours definitely are due for a change. I just changed my stock grips cause they felt a bit too hard for my liking.

The medium compound feels just right. I hope you don't find the form ones too hard.

Also I kinda wish I had ordered the full waffle design instead of half waffle and half diamond. The diamond design is so flat with no tread. The waffle adds some extra cushion and traction in my opinion.

Hopefully you will be happy with your selection though. Enjoy.

By the way, saw people on forums saying soak the grips in warm water first to loosen them up to slip them on more easily. Did that and waste of time. A couple of drops of dish soap is perfect.

Another guy in a YouTube video i saw used rubbing alcohol to slip his on. Terrible idea. Alcohol will dry out the rubber.

By the way, saw people on forums saying soak the grips in warm water first to loosen them up to slip them on more easily. Did that and waste of time. A couple of drops of dish soap is perfect.

I used to put the grips in the thai sunlight for an hour or so. made them a bit easier to slip on

I used to use hairspray to slide grips on to my mountain bike, once the hairspray dries it bonds the grip to the bar. I've never had the need to try with motorbikes just yet and i do wonder if the hairspray trick would work well in the heat of tropical Thailand, the UK was always a damp, cold and miserable place which in turn stopped my grips from....turning. Bedtime for me i think zzzzzz

Yes, Karlos, I read hair spray works well for the reasons you mentioned and it shouldn't damage the rubber compound or degrade it. Dish soap certainly won't damage it either, but not sticky when it dries like hair spray. So hair spray would be better for that reason. But that silicone gel is very good too. Slippery when it's wet and when it dries it creates a tight waterproof bond. I just happened to have some around and 2 hours later it was as tight as can be on the grip. The dish soap worked well on the thicker throttle grip to get it on and it didn't require any silicone on that side to secure it since it was so snug already.