Local Mobile Providers Iphone Rip-Off

angmo

Today for the first time since arriving here 7 years ago I am pi$$ed off - really pi$$ed off!'

I have been a TrueMove customer for all 7 years and currently have post-paid accounts for 3 iPhones and 2 iPads.

Yet today when I wanted to upgrade my oldest iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4S I realized that buying the 4S from TrueMove is nearly THB2,000 more expensive than from Apple.

Oh said the lady somewhat cheekily "LISTEN to me mister, we have promotion where iPhone is THB 25,350 if you sign a new contract". This is where I lost it.

You want me to pay THB 500 more plus I have to sign a new 18 month contract and get ripped off every month. Are you completely Ting Tong.

It is not so much the extra THB 500. It is the fact that these guys try and rip-off an existing good customer with a straight face.

*&£$(* them.

I am ordering it from Apple - even if I have to wait a week.

There - with that off my chest I am now going to enjoy a hefty Gin Tonic and start the weekend.

I am not certain but I think I read some other posts which seemed to indicate that the Apple Thailand store may have recently decreased their prices. I am not sure what the arrangements are between Apple and the service providers but sort of assume they (service providers) can sell an unbundled phone for the same price as Apple Thailand, which is 20,900 for an iPhone 4S/16 GB, but for whatever reasons maybe they have chosen not to do this as of today?

Also, I could have sworn TrueMove and/or TrueMove H had a iPhone 3/3GS/4 trade in/up program for a 4S but of course I cannot find any reference to that now.

I guess TrueMove and others are banking on the fact that the price decrease in the online Apple store isn't all that well known - was never advertised, so I am sure most new iPhone buyers are unaware of it.

True has a promotion where a new iPhone is at half price though - did the math and over 18 months it's actually 2k baht or so cheaper that getting an iPhone from the Apple store + getting the regular 599/month plan. YMMV.