I Have To Decide On Either Changmai Or Bangkok...Today

ForumUsername

Hey guys,

So my situation is basically that I'm going to be going to a language school in Thailand for the rest of the year. I wont have the leave the country on my ED visa but I will have to do my reporting every 90 days.

I need to organise with the school well before I arrive because they'll process my visa once I'm there. Fortunately, they do have schools in both cities which I'm undecided about. However, if I started in the ChiangMai school and decide I don't like Chiang Mai (or vica verca with Bangkok) then I'll have to pay 5,000THB every time I report in the new city. Not a huge sum, but a slight inconvenience.

So anyways, I need to decide today on where I'm going to school. I have been to Bangkok before, but it was a family holiday, living in hotels and really seeing different places; definitely nothing like 'living' there at all.

I was originally set on BKK, but I've had my doubts over the last few weeks. The idea of slightly cooler temps, cheaper living, less hectic to get around (I wont have a car) and everything closer together in CM really appeals to me.

My needs are pretty simple: Gym, Internet & a nice 2-bedroom apartment, which I can get anywhere. Oh and lots of cute girls doesn't hurt either.

Any advice is much appreciated :)

CM is only cooler than Bkk from Oct to March, by which time the pollution has set in and many people like to escape. For the rest of the year it can often be hotter than Bkk. That said, it is much more liveable longer term than Bkk.

As all opinions are subjective, it's difficult to give propert advice, but for me, on balance, I'd go for CM.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Riley!

That said, it is much more liveable longer term than Bkk.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit?

It’s easy to get around, has certain well defined areas like the University campus and Nimmanhaemin Road, the arts and music scene is thriving, unlike Bkk, one can be in simply wonderful countryside within minutes and although it doesn’t perhaps have the variety and quantity of attractions that Bkk has, it has the quality, lacks very little and the pace of life is slower. Quite easy to make friends and there are many expat organised groups. Shopping is easy and most things are available.

As you are from N. America, you will no doubt appreciate the large number of your fellow countrymen living there too.

I don’t live there, but visit frequently. I’m sure others more qualified to comment will be along soon in support of CM.

• Like 1

I faced a similar decision when moving here. Ultimately we settled on Chiang Mai, as my salary would go alot further here, than Bangkok. After spending the last 4 years in Chiang Mai, with frequent business trips to Bangkok, I'm confident I made the right choice.

The only real drawback to living in Chiang Mai, is the lack of proximity to a beach.

As for paying the 5000 for reporting in a new city, that seems a bit odd. Especially considering that 90 day check-ins can happen by mail. Additionally, for less than 5000, you could easily fly to the old city and check it :)

-Mestizo

• Like 2

If you like some kind of excitement, then chose Bangkok. Chiangmai is better for a laidback simple life. The choice of women would be 10x better in Bangkok.

Thought the main reason was attending a language school whistling.gif

• Like 1

This site me be useful for cost comparisons. You can use it for most major cities in the world.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Thailand&city1=Bangkok&city2=Chiang+Mai

It's mostly cooler in CM but if you're into night life and socializing there's much more to offer in BKK. It's easier to meet girls in Bangkok both of the Regular and Irregular type. From BKK it's easier to travel to abroad. If you're more the quiet type CM if you like to party BKK.

• Like 1

This site me be useful for cost comparisons. You can use it for most major cities in the world.

http://www.numbeo.co...ity2=Chiang+Mai

It's mostly cooler in CM but if you're into night life and socializing there's much more to offer in BKK. It's easier to meet girls in Bangkok both of the Regular and Irregular type. From BKK it's easier to travel to abroad. If you're more the quiet type CM if you like to party BKK.

Thanks for that link; to be honest I'm not really concerned about money, but if CM has what I want then it definitely saves a bit of $.

I faced a similar decision when moving here. Ultimately we settled on Chiang Mai, as my salary would go alot further here, than Bangkok. After spending the last 4 years in Chiang Mai, with frequent business trips to Bangkok, I'm confident I made the right choice.

The only real drawback to living in Chiang Mai, is the lack of proximity to a beach.

As for paying the 5000 for reporting in a new city, that seems a bit odd. Especially considering that 90 day check-ins can happen by mail. Additionally, for less than 5000, you could easily fly to the old city and check it smile.png

-Mestizo

Seriously, 4 years and you still have not found Chiang Mia beach!

Someone said that if I like partying, I should go to BKK. I do, actually, and probably go out 3-4 nights per week. However, 90% of them are always at the same bar, which is full of new tourists all of the time, is close to home and has live music. So, if there are at least a few cool places in CM to hang out at night, then that's good enough for me.

Edited by ForumUsername

Chiang Mai for sure.but im biased of course tongue.png OP can i ask what age bracket you are in, would be easier then to give you a few pros and cons.

23 smile.png

Hey. Ok depends on your style. Bkk is great for hard party goers. If you like nightlife. Daytime, buzzy but busy. Not my scene to be honest but ive got much more years on you. If you like motorbikes, then cm is great..lots of riding areas, which i love. If you like some night life, but more laid back, then its got enough good places. For example Zoeinyellow for more of a farang crowd, or monkey club for thai. Lots of other places depending on your preferences. Dodger end of town is tame..but if thats your scene then its ok. Ive hung out a few times in the loi kroh area with mates and the girls have been lovely to me...happy to chat. Even the western guys have seemed friendly..ok. CM imo is a lot less poserly and just more comfortable and friendly for every day living. For daytime..coffee shops are abundant, lots of good places to eat, from stalls to higher end. People are friendly and laid back. Tbh i havent spent much time in bkk, so i only can go with the general vibe, and for me its just to busy..too hardcore..and stressful. There are also a lot of activities here from rock climbing to the xcenter http://www.chiangmai-xcentre.com/ depends on your cash of course too. So for general laid back living..id chose cm over bkk any day..but ...get some different view points for sure! Any questions, i would be happy to try answer for you! :)

• Like 1

Bangkok Definitely!

For the younger crowd CM is doable for backpackers/TEFL teachers but if you have the funds to enjoy both, go straight to Bangkok and come up and visit CM. You can see the CM sites/ bars/ restaurants in 3 days and then go back to the awesome variety and spice of BKK

All of my under 30 friends that have lived in both cities definitely prefer Bangkok

Today?

If you have a New York Minute deadline (that's a slang expression, Google it), I would definitely suggest Bangkok.

Is it just me that is noticing that it seems half of the universe seems to be "trending" towards CM?

In 6 yrs on this forum, I've never noticed as many condo info requests, general questions about living in CM, etc.

Before it was: "Where is a good place to eat/bike/sightsee ?"

Now it is: "I'm moving with my wife and 2 kids and need a comparative analysis of all the international schools in CM".

I don't know whether to bring out the welcome mat, or flee to another place.....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Don't let anyone tell ya different Chiang Mai is no prize,But then Bangkok isn't either.The heat is around the same in the hot months.I don't know if the air would be any cleaner due to the cars.

But chiang mai the air is really bad.

If I was you I would check out other areas.khon Kaen,Udonthani,Korat.Maybe head south to tghe beaches Samui