The Thai Visa Clique

mraitchison

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i like to remind all of u:

this is a computer, it has an off switch, it has edit buttons and u can ignore people without hurting their feelings cause they cant see or hear u...

u dont like a post?/ ignore it..

someone answers u with a jerky answer, breathe in breathe out, budho... and then move on to post somewhere else....

repeat after me: this is a computer, it has an off switch.....

all in all, very informative, sometimes very funny (laugh until u pee), sometimes filled with stupid posts or annoying posts, but have found mostly to be supportive etc (especially with the devide and conquer thing: personal message someone u might get more real and personal answers then when they are in the 'group'..

in? out? what, are we in high school again with social things like in and out???

once people get to know that u are for real, and not a flyby poster or possible troll, then u get less hassles cause they know your computer personalilty (the one u want everyone to see) and can see if u just had a bad hair day or whatever...

wat the.. i'm waay past my beer o'clock when i answered this thread and its still going strong!?

ahh.. bed o'clock now.

:o

happy merry everyone!

And it is still fairly friendly :D

Lol;

How long can that last....?

Tick tock tick tock.....................

redrus

I had the same thing is the topic starter (I agree with you too). I asked an innocent question about studying in Thailand and I was dealt like some dumb person. I was being laughed at, posts were full of sarcasm and just making fun of me cause I wont make it anyway in Thailand. It annoyed me the most when people start telling me what to do and what not to do in Thailand. How would you feel if some russian or mexican told you never to come to your home country the UK ever again. Not nice right?

I would expect that thailand would do good to their attitudes. But its the exact opposite. I came with a certain stereotype about foreigners hoping it would change. But it was all confirmed. I'm going to be honest here I still dont like most posters on thaivisa. But its still the #1 english site to keep me in touch with the situation in thailand, information and still some entertainment

But you ARE a sarky little knob ...........check your comments to me in the Thai boxing thread a while ago.................... :o

I've been around a while and also feel that TV is very cliqueish. There seems to be a core group of people who are "in" and the rest of us who will always be "out". But, society as a whole is no different. Some of us, like me, will always be out. Some of you will always be in. I'm pretty old now. And, although I've lead a fairly successful life, have never been able to figure out how to get "in". I'm just always "out".

That said, I think the moderators do a pretty good job of keeping thing on course and the idiots, who are even further out than I, at bay.

Of course, last time I complimented the mods in a thread I got slammed for it....

To the OP: You just have to understand that some of us will always be on the outside and will never figure out why. No matter how nice and friendly you try to be, you'll always be nothing but a reject. Get used to it.

I reckon some of what is being labled as cliquish is something else. Speaking only for myself, while you want to be as helpful as possible, I think that when you have answered the same question over and over again (with no obvious recourse to the search function), or that you see the same, excuse my french, dumbarse question or comment repeated for the umpteeth time, my answers/responses inevitiably get slightly sarcastic.

I think given that there a quite a few people in the same position as me, a bunch of similar responses may come across as being cliquish, when it may in fact be just a bunch of old timers groaning independently at the same time.

I've been around a while and also feel that TV is very cliqueish. There seems to be a core group of people who are "in" and the rest of us who will always be "out". But, society as a whole is no different. Some of us, like me, will always be out. Some of you will always be in. I'm pretty old now. And, although I've lead a fairly successful life, have never been able to figure out how to get "in". I'm just always "out".

That said, I think the moderators do a pretty good job of keeping thing on course and the idiots, who are even further out than I, at bay.

Of course, last time I complimented the mods in a thread I got slammed for it....

To the OP: You just have to understand that some of us will always be on the outside and will never figure out why. No matter how nice and friendly you try to be, you'll always be nothing but a reject. Get used to it.

While reading your post, Violin music was playing on my radio. I felt a lump in my throat and my eyes went damp :o

I have been a member of TV for a while now coming up for two years I think.. I have never felt the urge to really post on here due to the clique-ness of the site. I read it on a daily basis but just don’t have the urge to risk posting and being jumped on by some of the long term members.

So why is there such an urge to berate and bully new members and give sarcastic advise to them? Time and time again is see people threatening to tell somebody else about something that has been said get them ‘banned’ or ‘officially warned’.

Just curious to know why this forum is so much more inaccessible to new people.

It's a weeding out process. We wouldn't want the sick and weakly contaminating the forum.........now do we. :o

Just kidding! :D

The clique set;

I am not married to a TBG

I have an honest wife/gf

I have lived in Thailand longer than you

I speak Thai better than you

I am a teacher, therefore I am better than you

I am mixing with Hi soc types, therefore you should listen to me

I write articles for the press, dont challenge my knowledge of Thailand

I get drunk a lot in Thailand, I can identify 30 different types of barstools, I am an expert

I am a newbie here

I have a silly question to ask, please take me serious

I own a bar in Pattaya, FIG JAM

I have a house in Issan...I know everything about rural life

I took my gal to the UK/US/OZ/GER once, now I am an immigration expert

I am a mod, therefore I am a demi god compared to you all

I am a farang female

I am a farang male

I am a thai female

I am a Thai male

I am in between

All my girlfriends are in Uni

I have never been there but I want to go there

I take vacations in the PI but I know all about Thailand

I hope I didnt miss anyone :o  :D

You forgot, I am a Yank! We're always right! :D

While reading your post, Violin music was playing on my radio. I felt a lump in my throat and my eyes went damp :D

:o:D

I know I shouldn't, but I'm bored, so I'll hit the 'add reply' button. :D

Anyone coming out with 'white trash' comments deserves to be beaten up, let alone banned. The validity or not of the rest of your views and opinions is irrelevant. Civilised behaviour is expected in any community, else it degenerates into a crap hole.

Problem I see on TV is more a case of some mods that have let power go to their heads. Hard to keep an even and fair balance when you can post your views and just switch off the opposition.... This sometimes puts a bit of a straightjacket on the forum. Of course rules have to be followed to keep the ship floating, but arrogance can easily get the better of one when everyone has to jump at your growling.

The cliques will always exist. It's natural. TV seems to actually be less so these days than a while back.

Oops... I didn't preview the post  :o

We get the "power hungry, etc" comments almost everytime someone disagrees with a decision we make. However I must take exception with your accusation that we use moderator tools to win arguements. It's well accepted among the mod team that we don't moderate discussions we're engaged in unless a serious thing happens and nobody else is online.

None of us are so unbalanced as to let our minimal "power" go to our heads as I do not know another member of the team who doesn't have much more important and serious things that occupy the majority of their day that far exceeds the so-called "power" of being a forum moderator.

When we are here we try as best we could to find that balance between where you contend that civilised behaviour should be expected, and where you accused us of letting the "power" go to our heads. If anyone has a formula to keep both sides of that equation satisfied without upsetting any one of thousands of unique members then please tell us because pleasing everyone all the time is something thats sadly beyond our "power" :D

cv

Not to belabour any point, this unfortunately I have personal experience of, and actually see it quite often.

Have to emphasise, however, that overall the standard is ok. Maybe a little too tight sometimes, but <deleted>, it's a good board.

Anyone know where I pay my tea-money.. :D

I think Bambina will hide it for you.....! :D

i warn you ...(oops im not a mod..no worries i wont ban you :o ) my piggy bank is pretty fat :D

i will talk bout Mod's stuff

well ..after read this thread ..im so-called a newbie ..and my 1st time people thought i was a troll (well , obviously i am a troll from time to time :D )

it just like in real world community/socieity ..we have to had a RULE ..even we like it or not.

being in TV forum ..im beated (sometime) , im warned (ahhh..seem many times), im suspended for 2 times

but obviously we have to live with it ..(if we still want to join here)

here, admins and mods are ok ..even we love or hate ..

we have to stay with the rule ...for the sake of us and peace

Anyone know where I pay my tea-money..  :D

I'll take it from ya......

redrus

err...excuse me... you mean tea money or tea bag :D:D

Dunno about you and rules, Bambina...

Sometimes methinks you're a bit of an anarchist ? :D

im an amazon queen ... :D

bambi breaks the rules sometimes :o but she always apologises & follows the rules (until the next time) :D

banned.gifbanned-happy.gif

Anyone know where I pay my tea-money.. :D

I'll take it from ya......

redrus

err...excuse me... you mean tea money or tea bag :o:D

I don't know. I just thought you'd know where to hide it........... :D:D

redrus

Edited by redrus

I have been a member of TV for a while now coming up for two years I think.. I have never felt the urge to really post on here due to the clique-ness of the site. I read it on a daily basis but just don’t have the urge to risk posting and being jumped on by some of the long term members.

So why is there such an urge to berate and bully new members and give sarcastic advise to them? Time and time again is see people threatening to tell somebody else about something that has been said get them ‘banned’ or ‘officially warned’.

Just curious to know why this forum is so much more inaccessible to new people.

It's a weeding out process. We wouldn't want the sick and weakly contaminating the forum.........now do we. :o

Just kidding! :D

Lots of newbies get a lot of flack and I see it happen all the time but not to all of them. See Thaibebop here, I never jumped on his case and treated him just like a normal person even though he was a scummy newbie and less than human! :D

Ok, in all seriousness, newbies will either be accepted right away or they wont. Others it takes a while for them to immerse themselves into the forum where they are accepted by everyone. Even I too was a newbie once but back then there wasn't many people you had to prove yourself to. Also, back in the beginning, the questions being asked were all new because the forum had just started. Nowadays, many of the questions posed have been regurgitated over & over again by new people coming aboard and the old members are tired of answering them so they give the OP flack instead, even though its not fair to the OP. Just the nature of a forum.

Biggest thing is not to take anything said on here about you personally. :D

Bambina,

you could hide it in your clique...............!!!!! :o

Not in your sky rocket. :D

redrus

nahhh no more rocket .. just UFO ,frisbee shape :D

Bambina opens the new clique...... :D

The Loon clique..... :D

redrus