Cheap Man Mini Cooper Suzuki Swift Eco Car - Launch On Mar 22

vspin134

I like the look of those Suzuki's. Does anyone have any more details over the price? I've seen they are between 389,000 to 520,000 bet nothing inbetween. I'd like to buy the top of the range manual one for my wife. I can abide the cvt tranny on the top model.

Not certain but the manual is probably only available in the most basic model. I have the same hate of auto boxes but no matter which brand of car you look at here ( Proton excepted ) the higher equipment models or models with the most performance all come standard with a slush box and no option for manual.

^^

are these eligible for the Thai rebate thingies??

Yes, the eco Swift is Thai assembled, so eligible for the 1st car buyer rebate.

They should be a good buy - much better looking and more upmarket than any current ecocar. It seems to have the same body as the current swift, so aftermarket should be easy.

Actually, the eco Swift is an all-new design - it looks similar to the outgoing model, but it's actually a full model change. Not one body panel is shared with the 1.5L version...

As noted in one of the other threads where the eco Swift has been discussed, it's biggest Achilles heel is the tiny Suzuki dealer network (there's currently only 40 dealerships nationwide) - and until they have at least one dealer per province, Thai's will pretty much avoid it like the plague...

Edited by MoonRiverOasis
  • Like 1

^^

are these eligible for the Thai rebate thingies??

Yes, the eco Swift is Thai assembled, so eligible for the 1st car buyer rebate.

They should be a good buy - much better looking and more upmarket than any current ecocar. It seems to have the same body as the current swift, so aftermarket should be easy.

Actually, the eco Swift is an all-new design - it looks similar to the outgoing model, but it's actually a full model change. Not one body panel is shared with the 1.5L version...

As noted in one of the other threads where the eco Swift has been discussed, it's biggest Achilles heel is the tiny Suzuki dealer network (there's currently only 40 dealerships nationwide) - and until they have at least one dealer per province, Thai's will pretty much avoid it like the plague...

Thanks, could hae sworn it was the same shell - looks so much like the 1.5. How will the mitsu fare in comparison? There's a few photoshops of the mirage on the net with body kits and big wheels - makes it look much better. Hopefully there will be an all dark interior - beige would show marks too easily. The mirage should also have better support than the suzuki due to more dealerships.

any pictures of the Suzuki and specs, prices etc..

answering my own question.

here is a good write up including pictures (its in Thai)

www.headlightmag.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3251:exclusive-first-impression-suzuki-swift-12-eco-car&catid=62:sub-b-segment-1000-1300-cc&Itemid=73

Edited by thaicbr

RE:"it's biggest Achilles heel is the tiny Suzuki dealer network (there's currently only 40 dealerships nationwide) - and until they have at least one dealer per province, Thai's will pretty much avoid it like the plague... "

Hmmm... Not here in CMai. I first noticed the new Suzuki Swift about 8 months ago, a 'brown' colored one stopped in front of RAM hospital: the guy was ecstatic about it.

Since then the city seems anecdotally flooded with them. I'm becoming more enamoured of the Suzuki and so are Thais it seems.

Edited by ataloss

GA 469k, GL 507k, GLX 559k. Ordered GL in blue yesterday in cm. GLX has sport wheel, fog lights, auto climate, rear defroster!, passenger airbag, and a few minor extra. All has abs and airbag.

so are they all automatic?

were is the under 400.000b model it ain't eco if it's not below 400thou.

Maybe the manuals are coming out later? I hope so as I am not a fn of autos, cvt or otherwise. I did also read that they would be starting at 389k, again maybe the manuals at a later date?

If you translate(Google) the Thai review/Test it says manual 6 months time, which is a bummer if true :(

www.headlightmag.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3251:exclusive-first-impression-suzuki-swift-12-eco-car&catid=62:sub-b-segment-1000-1300-cc&Itemid=73

The manual is usually base spec, so many of the accessories from the autos will be missing. Sad but true. I'd still give the cvt a chance, as they aren't as bad as old slush boxes of the past. You might appreciate it more stuck in bkk traffic:) Then there is also the mitsu mirage - I'm not too keen on the looks but with decent mags it should look nice. They also quote up to 22 km/l. Whether that is doable or not remains to be seen though.

The blue color is fab; saw one yesterday, had to slow down to really appreciate it. Nice!

I like the fact thsat its the only eco car that has a properly painted engine bay too.... cost cutting is much less evident in this car. But what is suzuki's service record like????

My question would be, how bad will it struggle up the mountains from CM to Phitsuanolok or some place similar.

That's hard to answer, but it does have a better power to weight ratio of any previous ecocar, including the mitsu mirage (the mirage has same HP as the march but is 100kg lighter). Torque in the suzuki is also best in class.

GA 469k, GL 507k, GLX 559k. Ordered GL in blue yesterday in cm. GLX has sport wheel, fog lights, auto climate, rear defroster!, passenger airbag, and a few minor extra. All has abs and airbag.

so are they all automatic?

were is the under 400.000b model it ain't eco if it's not below 400thou.

Under 400K after Thao govt rebate for 1st car buyers. The rebate is 72K.

469K-72K = 397K

• 4 months later...

GL delivery is august or sooner. Cheaper manual version will be launched in a few months.

Did you take delivery of your suzuki yet?

Just been told in PHUKET it is 11months waiting if you order your Swift today....this is a joke! Till then maybe have some nicer, newer models out....I for once would not wait that long for a car. Kind off you order a car when it is new out and when you get it, it is an old model! cool! Shame, I like it too.

I just took delivery of new GLX in pearl white with all the bells and whistles (accesories) yesterday, Considering back in Farang land I was used of driving a new model land rover discovery this is a huge change.

I originally ordered this from the motor show stand in bkk and when I telephone regarding the July delivery date I was told by the sales person who it transpired was working out of a Chonburi office it would be at least October and there was nothing she could do. I expressed my unhappiness in very direct language after attending the Suzuki Head Office @ ITOA Suzuki dealership on Petchaburi Road. All issues were resolved with a very decent marketing manager there and my car was marked for deliver in July. This date was extended to yesterday and I finally recieved the car. I am several years living here and I am happy to say the usual difficulties that arise in Bangkok when purchasing anything did not appear with Suzuki and while I can describe myself as among other things a difficult customer to please I have no issues with Suzuki Petchaburi. Both the market and service manager's was true to their word with everything.

Dealership : ITOA Suzuki Petchaburi Road.

Finance: Kasikorn Bank.

Funny thing was when I telephoned Kasikorn leasing yesterday to say I hadn't recieved any paperwork from them although the finance was approved the person from Kasikorn (the same one I dealt with at the motor show) told me I couldnt have my car as there was a delay and it would probably be November at least. I finished the call after telling him that I was standing looking at the car (my car) and I was certainly collecting it. I also re christened him with a new name while he was listening whistling.gif

Suzuki Petchaburi Rd had all paperwork on hand, including bank and the insurance documents, red plate etc all arranged. No stress at all.

Regarding performance: I took the car for a run to Chonburi, great in traffic and the little engine has surprised me more than once since with the sprint it takes when you press the gas. No it is not a VW GTI but believe me when you need the burst of extra speed when overtaking or in the case of BKK driving style avoiding someone stupid it feels like a mini rocket especially when you put it in sport mode (button on gearstick). I have found it very adequate and capable both on the motorway and in city traffic. No major issues noticed yet.

GL delivery is august or sooner. Cheaper manual version will be launched in a few months.

Did you take delivery of your suzuki yet?

Just been told in PHUKET it is 11months waiting if you order your Swift today....this is a joke! Till then maybe have some nicer, newer models out....I for once would not wait that long for a car. Kind off you order a car when it is new out and when you get it, it is an old model! cool! Shame, I like it too.

2 weeks ago, I was told June delivery, a week before that it was may delivery. Now it's blown out to July? It seems that the swift's popularity to outstripping its production capacity. I thought I read somewhere they were increasing production though...Luckily this will be the second car for the household, so I'm in no hurry. Pity for those that need a car now though.