Road Safety Effort A Flop, Study Shows

george

Road safety effort a flop, study shows

Motorists broke law all over the country

The government's campaign for road safety over New Year was a flop, with people breaking traffic laws all over the country, research has shown.

The study, by the Knowledge Management Unit for Road Safety, showed offences such as drunk driving, driving without a safety belt, riding without a helmet and driving without a licence were widespread.

Sales of alcohol to children under 18 were also common.

The study was carried out over New Year in Chiang Mai, Nakhon Sawan, Phetchabun, Phichit, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Pathum Thani, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Songkhla, Phuket and Lampang.

The sources included injured road users admitted to hospital. At least 850 people were killed and more than 42,100 injured over New Year.

Assoc Prof Penprapha Siviroj, the researcher, said the findings indicated police were not enforcing the law properly.

The campaign failed to convince people to change their behaviour.

According to the survey in hospitals, nearly 50% of injured road users had blood-alcohol levels which exceeded acceptable limits. More than 80% of accidents involved motorcycles.

Among the injured motorcyclists, more than 80% did not wear crash helmets, and 1.3% did not bother fastening the chinstrap. Among injured car users, 90% did not fasten safety belts.

The research team also monitored motorists at major intersections, and found passengers were more likely to break the law than drivers. About 46% of motorcyclists did not turn on their head lights at intersections.

Another survey was held among motorists at service stations.

Asked if they had been caught for breaking the road code, a small number said they had been caught for speeding and drunk driving.

The study also found sales of alcohol to minors were common. Violations were most common in restaurants on main roads (95%), followed by small food shops in sois (94%), department stores (85%), and hotel restaurants (84%).

Despite government restrictions on alcohol advertising, many billboards plugging alcohol were spotted on train carriages, and within a 500-metre radius of schools.

Paibul Suriyawongpaisarn, head of the Knowledge Management Unit for Road Safety, said the study showed public agencies were failing to handle traffic safety problems. ``The public sector, from department chiefs to governors, must work harder. We must also find strategies to convince the business sector to think more of society, and the civil sector to take more responsibility for the road safety campaign,'' said Dr Paibul.

--Bangkok Post 2004-01-20

Hey George; Funny that is all that they noticed wrong with traffic laws obeyed or broken.

We went from our house 35 kilometers north to Lom Sak and were driving 80 KPH,and were passed several times like we were tied to a tree,and ran off the road 4 times by oncoming people passing either over a double line or doing so when we were to close to do without running us off the road. and on our return were ran off by a guy passing us and didn't have room to clear us so just came over anyway and we left the road.

As long as they have no highway patrols on the roads,they will have no one obeying the laws,and from what I see Thai's do not know the rules of the road,I did find out that they have made rules when I went and got my driving license but no one obeys them and my wife has driven for years and still doesn't know the laws,she thinks that because a thing is done,that it is legal,such as driving against traffic on the right side and 3 on a motorcycle,she says it is OK because they only have 1 motorcycle and 3 people want to go,so therefore it is legal.and if a 10 year old child wants to drive the motorcycle to take his mother to town,it is legal cause she don't know how to drive a M/C. :o

Road safety effort a flop, study shows

Motorists broke law all over the country

The study, by the Knowledge Management Unit for Road Safety, showed offences such as drunk driving, driving without a safety belt, riding without a helmet and driving without a licence were widespread.

--Bangkok Post 2004-01-20

I read stuff like this and I get the impression that all of the illegal/unsafe driving practices one encounters daily are okay with the powers-that-be as long as drivers involved are wearing their helmets/safety belts and everybody has a driver's license.

That is the problem with the goverment service in Thailand, they just go through the motion to show people that they are working hard. Whether it is effective or not is another story.

I seem to remember someone close who started working long hours in Chiang Mai because there was a revamp in the Land Transport Department and she was very busy each day starting work at 7am and going home at 10pm with district meetings and presentations pushing ahead with road safety campaigns. She was so motivated she sacrificed her family and loved ones for the cause because she believed in the leadership of a fellow Chiang Mai being who is the PM of the country.

Tsk! Tsk! what a waste of effort what a waste of misdirected energy trying to alter the mindset and attitude for safety of the Thai people. Sadly, being Thais they are still unable to see what is behind the minds of their own people and as a result are unable to alter it.

They should stop copying what the other successfull neighbours in the region do and to try and understand the Thai mentality before spending any more money and time and make personal sacrifices to try prevent the people from killing themselves because death doesn't seem to frighten them. Perhaps life is too cheap in LOS.