Looking For Gsm Repeater

SpaceKadet

The location of my house appears to be in a black hole for GSM communications. I am not very far from the nearest mast, but obstacles or interference reduce the signal to almost zero. This is true for both DTAC and AIS. I get zero to one bar on any of the modern phones inside and outside the house. The only phone that works somewhat better is my old Nokia 6610. I get two bars on this one. The signal improves if I move just couple of meters out of my property onto the road outside.

So now I'm looking for a dual band GSM repeater. Has anybody seen them available anywhere in Bangkok, and if so, any idea of the prices?

One thing about repeaters, they usually cut the communications rate in half since they must spend half their time talking/relaying to mast/tower and the other half talking/relaying to the cell phone/aircard. This shouldn't affect voice quality too much, but if using your cell phone/aircard for internet access expect your download/upload speeds to be cut in half....normally with GSM/Edge+ you can get a maximun data transfer of 384Kb (in the perfect world) but in the real world it's going to be more around 150Kb to 200Kb. So, a repeater would be cutting these data rates in half. Of course, you're not getting any signal/rate now, so half is better than nothing.

This is for voice only so won't be a problem. But thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that. For data communication the setup would be easier. As this would be a stationary installation, 18dbI Yagi or a 20+ dBi dish connected to a modem would probably solve the problem. I am looking at various wireless internet solutions as neither TOT nor 3BB can connect a cable to my house. GPRS will not cut it and 3G is not fully deployed yet in the boonies, unless True_H claims of coverage along the major highways is true :) I have 10km to highway 4, pretty much unobstructed line of sight. Time to do some experiments when I get home next week.