Got My Driving And Scooter License!

craigt3365

I went to the land transportation office today to get my driver and scooter license. I have a license (car only) from the US. Thought some of you might like to know the details.

Got there around 8am, and having ignored BB1950's excellent advise regarding what copies to have, had to run across the street to make copies and lose my great place in line. Oh well.

Overall, it was an easy experience. They guide you through the entire process. Though a bit like being herded by cattle. No biggie.

The DL was a breeze. Had to do an eye color test, then a brake reaction test, then some test with posts where you have to line them up. I suggest for the slower among us, practice going from the gas to the brakes real fast. Several people failed that today. Nobody failed the other test.

I took the "written" test and lucked out. Passed my first try. Some questions are a bit tricky. You can study for an hour before you take the test.

I had to come back after lunch for the scooter test. I failed the part where you drive over the narrow, elevated section. But wifey smooth talked the guy into letting me pass as I only ran off the very final part of it. I had to rent a scooter from across the street as we went there in the car.

Overall, very friendly people and a relatively easy process. Though it did take all day.

But hey, I'm LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by craigt3365
added land transportation office
  • Like 1

Think l will wear my crash hat in the car now that craigt has ''passed'' drunk.gif with flying colours.huh.png

I don't think you read the post properly! I failed the scooter driving test! I was on a rented scooter, automatic. I have a 5 speed bike at home. Excuses, I know. Quite a few fell off, but I was the only one they saw as I was the first off. But don't worry, I don't venture far from home.

As a side note, they seem to be a bit strict on clothing. Women can't do the tests with short shorts. I saw one farang lady told NO because she had these on. Had to come back another day. Same with bare shoulders. A guy with a tank top had to get another shirt to cover up. Just an FYI....

But I'm legal!!

Congratulations. I must say I'm surprised that you went all this time without getting the Thai license. When I did the motorcycle test I gave them my U.S. license (with motorcycle endorsement) and International Driver's Permit and they didn't make me do an actual riding examination. I actually also failed my U.S. examination because I put my foot down in the circle (they make you ride a tight circle) but the examiner let me pass too.

Think l will wear my crash hat in the car now that craigt has ''passed'' drunk.gif with flying colours.huh.png

I don't think you read the post properly! I failed the scooter driving test! I was on a rented scooter, automatic. I have a 5 speed bike at home. Excuses, I know. Quite a few fell off, but I was the only one they saw as I was the first off. But don't worry, I don't venture far from home.

As a side note, they seem to be a bit strict on clothing. Women can't do the tests with short shorts. I saw one farang lady told NO because she had these on. Had to come back another day. Same with bare shoulders. A guy with a tank top had to get another shirt to cover up. Just an FYI....

But I'm legal!!

Only to fall off and kill yourself at the first bit of elevated narrow road you come to!

But I'm legal!!

Only to fall off and kill yourself at the first bit of elevated narrow road you come to!

Ha! That's quite possible. Though I use to race motocross, so know bikes fairly well. Got scared off after a few friends bit the dust, so to speak. mellow.png

I never did all of the car driving test but 'passed'. I didn't even have a scooter to get on but 'passed' that too. Although I did tell them I rode a Harley.

Also I had a Thai DL that expired on 1998 so they gave me a 5 year for both.

Congrats with the licenses mate.

Now you have a Thai i.d. that's always useful to carry around.

Mine have expired, so I'll have to go through it all again when I eventually return to live (at home) there.

(( Too busy working away ))

Congrats!

Can one take the test on a tourist visa?

Not 100% sure, because you need to get a Residence Certificate from Immigration, and I'm not sure Immigration will give you that when you only have a Tourist Visa. Note: if you get your license, you will be issued a license which is valid for only 1 year

Edited by MJCM

I got both of my licenses in Rayong yesterday. I had my US license, an international license, passport, visa, residency certificate from immigration. Each license was treated as a seperate case so I had to have 2 copies of everything. I had to do the vision test, the depth perception test (the 2 poles), and the brake test. I did not have to do any driving or riding tests or any written tests.

I got both of my licenses in Rayong yesterday. I had my US license, an international license, passport, visa, residency certificate from immigration. Each license was treated as a seperate case so I had to have 2 copies of everything. I had to do the vision test, the depth perception test (the 2 poles), and the brake test. I did not have to do any driving or riding tests or any written tests.

The same happened to me. Had to have 2 copies of everything. But since I didn't have a motorcycle license from the US, they made me take the tests....written and driving the scooter. If it was just for the car, I would have been able to avoid the tests.

I have an international driving permit, but they didn't even want to see it. Just my US license. But I did take those silly vision, perception and braking tests.